Random Music Talk CXIX: Donko Blocko

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the wake of their new album, I've been on a Goldfrapp kick lately. Four albums into their discography and I haven't heard a bad one yet, plus there's the added bonus of each one being fundamentally different. They like to mix it up. And then there's Alison's awesome voice, which is just as capable of riding chill trip hop as it is taming a scuzzy glam beat.

Last edited:
They're very hit-or-miss with me. The only albums I like conistently are Supernature and .... oh, the one with the song A&E on it. Blanking on the album name. The last album was dull.

Good lord I thought the new Green Day song called Still Breathing was an early 00's song by Good Charlotte, Simple Plan or every other whiny band from that era that sounded like those bands.

A local station that mainly focuses on 80s and 90s plays it too, and they cut off the last 40 seconds of guitar at the end.

I heard Boulevard of Broken Dreams on the classic rock station this morning. That was weird and disconcerting.

wait that's not classic. it's not even rock, come on here. (sorry it probably is rock i guess i have very particular point of view here)

So I'm going to Green Day tonight.
My 12 yr old son has become a fan, and just caught a release of good seats right beside the stage.

Really like the new Feist song.

Don't like: the new Charli XCX. Looks like I only really liked her first album. All downhill from there.

I guess I feel the same way about Charli, though I usually find a few really good songs on whatever she releases. The new mixtape is no exception.

True Romance is one of my favorite albums of the decade though. I don't think she's topping that.

I've heard it. Very interesting album, lots of short tracks that blend together. What stands out to me about it though is the ridiculous sense of humor he displays on it. I don't remember his old material being this Zappa-esque.

This all started when I was a boy
I went to the dentist and he gave me a toy
It was Dragon Ball Z, a wrist-slap bracelet
GOKU FUCKING RUINED ME

When I lived in St. Louis about 15 years ago, Chuck Berry would still play once a month at bar called Blueberry Hill in the Delmar Loop of U-city.

I always regretted not going to see him while I was there. RIP

Last edited:
Are their albums good?

They're good enough to check out. No masterpieces per se, but Ooh La La and ...A Nod Is As Good As A Wink are worth your time.

There's a trio of songwriters in the band (Rod Stewart, Ronnie Lane, Ron Wood), and two primary singers (Stewart and Lane) so you may like some stuff more than others. I really love Ronnie Lane which offsets my ambivalence about Stewart.

Oddly enough, it's Ron Wood doing the vocal on the song Ooh La La, after attempts by the other two didn't sound good enough.

I never knew Ron Wood was a member of that band. Interesting the direction he went in vs Rod Stewart.

Back
Top Bottom