Random Music Talk CVIII: Enhanced with a string section...maybe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have no idea what those terms mean and I really have no desire to find out. It's just beer.

I was at my sister's debutante ball last night. She's 16 (and hopefully never been kissed). She looked so grown up, I was so proud of her. And I got absolutely smashed on beer, sav blanc and moscato.

I still have no idea what those terms mean and I really have no desire to find out. It's just beer.

I was at my sister's debutante ball last night. She's 16 (and hopefully never been kissed). She looked so grown up, I was so proud of her. And I got absolutely smashed on beer, sav blanc and moscato.

Is that the Victorian term for school formal?

Hah, I figured you wouldn't have been offended, but it was a little out of left hand.

(I'd say "quick, someone find me a tune by someone who's obviously an arsehole", but then I'd make a tired Kanye joke and that just wouldn't be original. Or funny.)

Is that the Victorian term for school formal?

I don't think so. We had a formal in year 10. Debs are more involved, the girls all ask a boy to be their partner and they spend weeks practicing a series of dances. It's like a "girl becoming woman" thing.

Hah, I figured you wouldn't have been offended, but it was a little out of left hand.

(I'd say "quick, someone find me a tune by someone who's obviously an arsehole", but then I'd make a tired Kanye joke and that just wouldn't be original. Or funny.)

I'm just waiting for someone to post a Sun Kil Moon song.

I don't think so. We had a formal in year 10. Debs are more involved, the girls all ask a boy to be their partner and they spend weeks practicing a series of dances. It's like a "girl becoming woman" thing.

That's interesting, can't tell if that is something prevalent in other states or within private schools, in my case there was only a year 12 formal.

Yeah, we had a year 10 and a year 12 formal, but the former was "hey, let's hang out in the school hall because nobody's leaving school at year 10" because we were a bunch of fuckin' nerds, and year 12 was "let's sit in a hall that's a little too nice for high schoolers, and then give all of the over 18s champagne, and all the 17 year olds orange juice. And then have a fake award ceremony where you can get your last jab at the people you hate. And then go to the guy whose parents own a mansion with an elevator's house and drink and stay up all night."

IPA = pale beers (I guess, Little Creatures, say), stout = dark beer (i.e. Guinness)

I'm just waiting for someone to post a Sun Kil Moon song.

Yeah, it's weird; you can hear "Carissa" or "I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love" and say that's incontrovertible proof that Kozelek absolutely isn't an arsehole, and then you hear "That Bird Has A Broken Wing" or "I Know It's Pathetic But That Was The Greatest Night Of My Life" and that's proof that he is one. It's incredibly compelling.

(is "Under The Pink" a good entry point for someone who's heard "Little Earthquakes" and was left kind of underwhelmed by it?)

Yes.

Those are the only two by her that I like, in fact. Boys For Pele and Choirgirl Hotel were interesting but I didn't find them all that enjoyable.

That's interesting, can't tell if that is something prevalent in other states or within private schools, in my case there was only a year 12 formal.

It's more a 'country' thing. As in rural.

It is also fairly old fashioned. It used to be all the rage in the 70s, especially in country areas. I didn't think they were a thing anymore?

Yeah, I had no idea debutante balls still exist. I bump into descriptions of them all the time in newspaper social pages when I'm doing nineteenth/early twentieth century research, but I hadn't known of them still happening today.

Agreed re Under the Pink for Tori.

It's an excellent album, a little more diverse than Little Earthquakes. The next handful of albums all the way through Strange Little Girls are a mixed bag of quality stuff and ... well, not. After that, for me the quality dropped way off.

And yet I still keep buying her albums, hoping that I'll like another one, one of these days. :( (The last one was an uptick in quality, but it's not something I'm going to listen to often.)

I'm totally buying the new reissues of the first two albums, though.

Of all the albums from 2013, Haim's Days Are Gone has been the biggest grower for me. This thing sounds better on each listen. Curious to see where they go next.

I don't get hungover. ;)

I didn't sleep very well, but after a little coffee, all was well with the world.

Fun fact: Seattle's Best has been owned by Starbucks since the mid-2000s. ;)

I used to do French presses on the weekends, but I can't really handle more than one cup in the morning anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom