Random Music Talk CVI: Leave Kanye Alone!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never heard it all the way through, honestly, but my Pandora station has played just bout every song from it. I think you all know what time it is.

Fun fact that should surprise no one: I love Starship.

I did always have a sweet spot for Sara. The video was really cool too. Rebecca DeMornay played Sara and she was awesome.

Then, of course, that classic Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now. Which they always bust out when some team wins a championship. That was the song that drove Grace Slick over the edge. But, first she made sure to cash all of those big fat checks from when she sold out to the man.

She's apparently also an anti-vaxxer and she thinks that mainstream media is the root cause of why people today don't realize that Christians are discriminated just as much as homosexuals.

these people scare me.

Starship are eminently mockable, but I can't see how certain (semi-recent or recent) U2 tracks like City of Blinding Lights or California are much better.

As long as it's not a Starship revival influence.

I've always hated every song by that incarnation of the band. Hard-pressed to find another act whose late work was so far below what they became famous for. The Stones haven't made consistently good music since the 70s but it's more generic than awful, for example.

Danny Boy said:
You know I like my girls a little bit older.

Are you the bizarro GAF?

A sore throat/cold remedy I will be returning to: hot green tea and honey...with an ounce of cheap blended scotch. Apparently this is an actual drink and I didn't invent it in an exhausted haze.

I've felt terrible all day and I'm in too much pain to sleep, but now I'm sipping on this, listening to Blood on the Tracks and relaxing. I'd write a long post about this album but I'm way too tired.

As Kieran suggested, U2.

And there's that negative hyperbole I thought we were done with for a while.

NOPE.

Even if there's only a few recent U2 songs you think are great, they're far beyond the grasp of anything fucking Starship ever shat out onto tape.

Yeah as much as I dislike SOI, the fall from Pop to SOI is nowhere near as egregious as the fall from Surrealistic Pillow to whatever Starship's albums are called.

I have no idea what any of the words in the cricket thread mean, but I was able to surmise that Axver was happy.

Yeah I'm pretty well smashed by now. What an incredible day.

But Gone to Stand Up Comedy? FUCK OFF.

(I have no plans to listen to any Starship beyond "We Built This City" to find out if they somehow got worse than that.)

(I have no plans to listen to any Starship beyond "We Built This City" to find out if they somehow got worse than that.)

All you need to know is "We Built This City" is some of their best work and you'll understand why the U2 comparison is not valid.

"We Built This City" is fantastic, and I'll hear no talk that it isn't.

But yeah, it hurts my brain how the chill hippie girl who did "White Rabbit" ended up doing "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" :yuck:

"Cash rules everything around me", indeed.

Jefferson Airplane was phenomenal for about five years until they ran out of acid (ETA: right around the time Owsley went to jail, come to think of it :hmm: ), then they turned into that bar band that decides to try writing a few songs after years of doing nothing but covers. Problem is, they were already famous by then.

ETA: Jefferson Airplane -> Starship != 1990s U2 -> 2010s U2. At all.

And there's that negative hyperbole I thought we were done with for a while.

NOPE.

Even if there's only a few recent U2 songs you think are great, they're far beyond the grasp of anything fucking Starship ever shat out onto tape.

Well I mostly agree, funnily enough. Though I will single out City of Blinding Lights, a feel-good turd if ever there was one. That's hyperbole. That's how it's done.

Well I mostly agree, funnily enough. Though I will single out City of Blinding Lights, a feel-good turd if ever there was one. That's hyperbole. That's how it's done.

There is honestly not one single song on that album that I think is any good (Love and Peace or Else has a decent guitar part - that's the only highlight of the whole thing for me). It mystifies me how I listened to it on constant repeat to the exclusion of nearly any other music at all for almost a full year of my life.

"We Built This City" is fantastic, and I'll hear no talk that it isn't.

But yeah, it hurts my brain how the chill hippie girl who did "White Rabbit" ended up doing "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" :yuck:

"Cash rules everything around me", indeed.

Jefferson Airplane was phenomenal for about five years until they ran out of acid (ETA: right around the time Owsley went to jail, come to think of it :hmm: ), then they turned into that bar band that decides to try writing a few songs after years of doing nothing but covers. Problem is, they were already famous by then.

ETA: Jefferson Airplane -> Starship != 1990s U2 -> 2010s U2. At all.

Nothins Gonna Stop Us Now is a great tune, you take that back this instant!! :angry:

Sent from my ass crack

I drink ginger tea with honey for a sore throat.

That's the first I've heard of using ginger tea for sore throat, but I swear by it for upset tummy/indigestion/ETCETCTMILOL. It really does work.

For sore throat relief, try this herbal trick many singers use:

traditional-medicinals-throat-coat.jpg

This really does work, too. :)

There is honestly not one single song on that album that I think is any good (Love and Peace or Else has a decent guitar part - that's the only highlight of the whole thing for me). It mystifies me how I listened to it on constant repeat to the exclusion of nearly any other music at all for almost a full year of my life.

About a fortnight of my life probably. Um... thank God for Mercy I guess.

This is the real reason not to go back to Rockville (actually it may have been in Ellington, I drove through quite a few towns in CT I'd never heard of before)

image.jpg1_zpsjuj5fueu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom