Random Movie Talk Part X: The Spy Who Loved Me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. Omnibus projects like this usually at least produce one or two worthy shorts.

Good interview here:

INTERVIEW: Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese on building the perfect psychosis in ‘Shutter Island’

I found this in particular fascinating:

"The way DiCaprio went about performing Teddy was to do so on varying levels. Essentially he played three different versions of the character. One was more flippant, one was completely committed to the case at hand and one was more erratic, out of control and violent. The idea was to produce enough choices so that in the editing room, Scorsese and his longtime editing partner Thelma Schoonmaker could choose which performance was most appropriate from moment to moment, refraining from tipping the story’s hand while establishing the character’s psychosis via edited performance."

It really pisses me off that this was released so early and that DiCaprio isn't likely to factor into the Oscar race. I haven't seen a better male performance this year.

Thinking of male performances, you might be right. It's been mainly every other character I've been impressed with this year. Plenty of outstanding female leads - Portman (probably my favorite), Binoche, Huppert, and some memorable supporting roles here and there. Leo is probably the standout for me too.

Edit: Looking back at what I've seen this year, I'll throw Jesse Eisenberg, William Shimell, Edgar Ramirez, and George Clooney to fill out my top 5 male leads.

Here's the thing: if he does manage to make the cut, I can't really see them awarding Colin Fucking Firth or Jesse Fucking Eisenberg over a seriously overdue D-Cap. Right? Because those two guys aren't capable of reaching the heights (or depths) of Leo, and that should be clear to anyone who has seen the actors.

When DiCaprio was nommed and lost previously, it was to Jamie Foxx in a showy (albeit impressive) perf, and Forest Whitaker's blustery work. With the exception of Robert Duvall, the contenders this year don't really fit that bill. Jeff Bridges isn't going to win two years in a row (though it wouldn't bother me that much because he's certainly more worthy of that distinction than Spencer Tracy or Tom Hanks, the other two guys to do it), and James Franco may have to get in line just as Leo did years before. Gosling's film won't be big enough to get votes.

Thoughts?

I think you're probably right. The only thing holding him back is, yes, the fact that the film has kind of been out of the minds of a lot of people for a while now. I remember hearing, I think on Kris Tapley's Oscar Talk, that the studio is planning a pretty big awards campaign for the film though. So it's possible that will bring it back to the forefront, and the benefit of hindsight and probably a lot of revisiting of the film via screeners could give the film some renewal of positive opinion. And even if not, the campaign will probably be pushing Leo above all other categories (probably mostly below-the-line), so I think he could have a good chance. Aside from him, I also think a second win for Bridges would be perfectly acceptable, though I don't see it happening for the reason you put forth.

There's no way he could win for Inception. If he was smart he would tell the studio to take him off all FYC ads for it. Look what happened with The Departed (which he should have won for) and Blood Diamond. That was fucking ridiculous, though the studio was to blame for wanting to put all The Departed actors under supporting. Fucking morons.

Also, here's some exciting news: Vincente Minnelli's final film A Matter of Time is screening on Turner Classic Movies next Tuesday. Not on DVD, and VHS copies are rare; I bought one off eBay because I was so desperate to see it. Liza Minnelli and Ingrid Bergman star, and Bergman's daughter Isabella Rossellini has a small role. That's two generations of cinema royalty times two in one film. The great Geoffrey Unsworth did the photography and there are some songs from Kander and Ebb. You'd think with all that talent the film would be available, but no.

It's not a great film (it was apparently butchered by the studio who shot bookends without Signor Minnelli's involvement), but a delightful one. Bergman is glorious in one of her last roles. I'm excited to actually see what should be a decent print of it.

James Franco gave the performance of the year for me, and Firth has had a long acclaimed career, I don't see anyone else factoring into the race.

I've seen just one report now that the Tree of Life trailer is also playing in front of The Fighter, for what it's worth. If I see it confirmed by the time the film goes wide, this might get me in a seat. Jeff Wells' third favorite film of the year too, so how could I miss it. :rolleyes:

Got to see the Tree of Life trailer before Black Swan this weekend. That thing looks gorgeous.

Got to see the Tree of Life trailer before Black Swan this weekend. That thing looks gorgeous.

Ah, finally somebody else has seen it! The Smetana music in the first half is perfect. Nobody seems to know what the music in the second half is, so it's possible it's part of Desplat's original score. Anyhow, some of my favorite images/moments in the trailer:

-The cut from the dwarfed planet passing in front of the massive sun to the long-angle shot of the mother's head moving in front of our sun (if I'm remembering the exact cut right, if not, the visual parallel is still intentional, as with the next example)

-The opening shots of the expanding nebulas and the one of the similar shadows on the wall of the boys' bedroom

-The bottom of the baby's foot cupped in his parent's hands

-The children running joyously and ignorantly into the toxic cloud the truck is spraying

-All the natural and space shots really - the one up from the canyon floor and up at the stained glass ceiling interior

-Strange alien landscapes: the mother walking out to the desert, young Jack entering it through his bedroom door, adult Jack falling to his knees among the many silhouettes

-The boy swimming out of his flooded bedroom

Am I still going? Practically everything in the trailer. Really can't wait for it to come online so I can take copious screenshots.

same here

Swan was more of a miss, than a hit for me.

but, Tree of Life looks good online and fantastic on the big screen, I have pretty high expectations for it, along with The Fighter, and True Grit.

L A film critics awards

best picture
"the social network"

runner-up: "carlos"

best director
olivier assayas, "carlos," and david fincher, "the social network" (tie)

best actor
colin firth
"the king's speech"

runner-up: Edgar ramirez ("carlos")

best actress
kim hye-ja
"mother"

runner-up: Jennifer lawrence ("winter's bone")

best supporting actor
niels arestrup
"a prophet"

runner-up: Geoffrey rush ("the king's speech")

best supporting actress
jacki weaver, "animal kingdom"

runner-up: Olivia williams ("the ghost writer")

best screenplay
aaron sorkin, “the social network"

runner-up: David seidler ("the king's speech")

best cinematography
matthew libatique, "black swan"

runner-up: Roger deakins ("true grit")

best production design
guy hendrix dyas, "inception"

runner-up: Eve stewart ("the king's speech")

best music score
alexandre desplat, "the ghost writer" and trent reznor and atticus ross, "the social network" (tie)

best foreign-language film
"carlos"
directed by olivier assayas

runner-up: "mother" directed by joon-ho bong

best documentary/non-fiction film
"last train home" directed by lixin fan

runner-up: "exit through the gift shop" directed by banksy

best animation
"toy story 3" directed by
lee unkrich

runner-up: "the illusionist" directed by sylvain chomet

not going to quibble with that list of winners

glad to see Mother and Animal Kingdom getting some recognition

Franklin-Leonard_l.jpg

The Black List

2010: The Most Popular Unproduced Screenplays �

Tree of Life trailer supposedly going online tomorrow in HD. Can't wait to screencap the fuck out of that thing.

Surprising to see someone old-school like Deakins make that move, I guess soon we'll be in the days where using film stock is a hipster avant garde thing to do when every other filmmaker is on digital by choice, not simply because of budget.

Deakins says a lot of interesting things about the ease of making digital video replicate the entire aesthetic or feel of film entirely, or really doing whatever the hell you want with it, the main draw of it being the workflow, which is considerably less complicated and allows for plenty more creative experimentation and improvisation which is only a good thing. It was always destined to match film on all those terms, and once there's no difference between the two even in terms of quality and pure aesthetic, I hardly see the reason for keeping film around. Then again, I'm not convinced it's at that point yet, but yeah it's interesting to hear somebody like Deakins suggest it is, or could be.

Fincher's use of the Thompson Viper on Zodiac was the first time I didn't think at all about a film being shot digitally, it never had moments where you're taken out as a result of the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom