Questions about GA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimmy1827

Babyface
Need some advice on general admission for FedEx Field. I have never done general admission tickets before and I will be with my wife and dad and 12-year-old son.

1- how early should we start queuing to get a really good view of the stage.
2- what is the best vantage point for a 12-year-old?
3- stupid question I am sure, but assuming once you're at your spot it's not recommended to leave and go to the bathroom? I will have to cut my sons water supply off early.

Can you upgrade your tickets to red zone?

Thanks for all your help!
Jimmy

Need some advice on general admission for FedEx Field. I have never done general admission tickets before and I will be with my wife and dad and 12-year-old son.

1- how early should we start queuing to get a really good view of the stage.
2- what is the best vantage point for a 12-year-old?
3- stupid question I am sure, but assuming once you're at your spot it's not recommended to leave and go to the bathroom? I will have to cut my sons water supply off early.

Can you upgrade your tickets to red zone?

Thanks for all your help!
Jimmy
With a kid I'd hang towards the back, unless he is a hell of a trooper.

With a kid I'd hang towards the back, unless he is a hell of a trooper.

I would agree, its pretty tight in close to stage area.
I chose seats over GA as I'm taking my 13 yr old son and vertically challenged wife, had we done GA (which I told the wife was likely due to cost, but got lucky and got lowers behind red zone in the $100 price range), we'd have hung in the back out of the fray. With the height of the stage they'd have had difficulty seeing much too close and the lack of space might have been an issue.

Someone over on @u2 forums asked the same question, about taking his 12 year old son into GA. Here's the thread, & my response, plus a couple of pictures.
https://forum.atu2.com/index.php/topic,31277.0.html
One place I'd probably recommend for those with younger children is the area just behind Red Zone. It's off to the side a little (Edge's side), so not right in the heart of the action. But close to the b-stage & still closer than even the best seats. I'd think that you'd be able to get a rail spot here if you arrive about the time the gates open. A rail would be great for kids, plus there should be nobody directly in front of you, as it's the back of Red Zone.
C_qzqqxXsAINAjq.jpg

Sounds like this place worked out very well for both father & son. To get the rail behind Red Zone I'd think you'd have to line up a little before gates open. Though it's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. Depends on the venue, the day of the week, the weather. I'm happy to wait in line all day, others are not. So really, it's whatever you're all comfortable with.

Another similar thread on Interference,
http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f322/advice-ga-or-nosebleeds-for-seattle-9-year-old-going-220941.html

If you do end up on a rail, or anywhere near the front you'd struggle to leave for a trip to the bathroom, especially once the opening act has started, & people have moved in closer. If you're at the back of the floor a trip to the bathroom or bar shouldn't be a problem. I'm usually pretty close, so don't leave my spot. So I drink A LOT of water in the morning, & cut off liquids by early afternoon. I also wear cargo pants, & try to take in fruit boxes (juice). Most times I've been able to take these in, occasionally security has made me throw them out. GA is hot sweaty work, you don't want to get dehydrated.

Also, wear comfortable shoes, GA can be a workout. But it's awesome, the only way to experience a concert!

No upgrading to Red Zone.

Have fun.

Last edited:
I went solo in GA to the Seattle show, and was at the rail by the Red Zone entrance. I'm 5'2", and it was a great spot to watch the show as I could see everything. Plus, I was loads closer than my friends in seats (who texted me several times that the band looked like dots from their seats way up in the stadium). I didn't get to CenturyLink Field until about 6pm-- hour after the gates opened. Thankfully, CenturyLink didn't seem to have nearly the problems with entrances that BC Place did . The gates for seated ticketholders seemed ridiculously long (but they were moving) as I was walking around the stadium to get to the GA entrance gate. When I finally got to it, I breezed right through the process in about 2-3 minutes. I made friends with folks on either side of me so I could get water or go to the restroom. I was once again reminded why I have always chosen GA tickets since they first were made available during the Elevation Tour--there's no better place to watch U2 than from the floor (even if you end up closer to the back). :rockon:

I guess from looking at that picture that Red Zone holders have access to the regular GA area.

The question is, do Red Zone holders get access to the stadium floor before the regular GA line?
Apologies if that is a prickly question here, I can imagine it is.

Last edited:
I guess from looking at that picture that Red Zone holders have access to the regular GA area.

The question is, do Red Zone holders get access to the stadium floor before the regular GA line?
Apologies if that is a prickly question here, I can imagine it is.

Never before the regular GA. Sometimes same time, sometimes 30 minutes after based on experience. But never before.

Most people that get RZ is so that get a GA experience, but don't have to wait in line and don't have to deal with crowds. It is never that crowded in RZ, and you can show up just before U2 hits the stage, and still get a great view.

Someone over on @u2 forums asked the same question, about taking his 12 year old son into GA. Here's the thread, & my response, plus a couple of pictures.

C_qzqqxXsAINAjq.jpg

Sounds like this place worked out very well for both father & son. To get the rail behind Red Zone I'd think you'd have to line up a little before gates open. Though it's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. Depends on the venue, the day of the week, the weather. I'm happy to wait in line all day, others are not. So really, it's whatever you're all comfortable with.

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...eeds-for-seattle-9-year-old-going-220941.html

If you do end up on a rail, or anywhere near the front you'd struggle to leave for a trip to the bathroom, especially once the opening act has started, & people have moved in closer. If you're at the back of the floor a trip to the bathroom or bar shouldn't be a problem. I'm usually pretty close, so don't leave my spot. So I drink A LOT of water in the morning, & cut off liquids by early afternoon. I also wear cargo pants, & try to take in fruit boxes (juice). Most times I've been able to take these in, occasionally security has made me throw them out. GA is hot sweaty work, you don't want to get dehydrated.

Also, wear comfortable shoes, GA can be a workout. But it's awesome, the only way to experience a concert!

Have fun.

Thanks so much, this is great!

C_qzqqxXsAINAjq.jpg

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...eeds-for-seattle-9-year-old-going-220941.html

Have fun.

Darroch, great tips, seriously. I chug a lot a water the DAY BEFORE the show. So much so that I'm going to piddle every half hour or less.

Day of, you have a good idea of drinking lots of water in the morning, then cutting off around 2pm. For me, I hate porta-potties or continuously sneaking into starbucks for the restroom. I don't drink as much day-of. Try to stay in GA line OUT OF the sun. If they do the "check in once an hour/ once every 2 hours", maybe hide out in a Burger King or something.

I could not hide caprisuns or juiceboxes. I wear chick pants. I'm thinking of bringing in some Gatorade electrolyte single packets or energy chews. Scared security might think it's illicit stuff.

On I+e tour, I sprung for expensive seats on 1 show and Adam+Bono saw me during "Invisible". I'm a schlutt. I'd like Adam to see me and smile once during the show, that's why I'm in GA for stadiums. My best bet is off to the side (on Adam's side). And hope he wanders away from Larry and Bono on occasion to the far right.

If you was to arrive and queue three hours before the doors open, what are the chances of getting a good b stage position?
As I said, how long's a piece of string? Depends on the city, weather, day of the week. Your definition of a good spot may be different to mine. Then there's other things on the day, that are totally out of your control. Like multiple GA gates going in at different times (or RZ), ticket scanning problems, security letting people jump the queue. In other words, nobody knows, it's not an exact science.

Best guess. 2pm line up, 3 to 4 people back from somewhere on the b-stage rail. Total guess!

Also going to FedEx field with my girlfriend! Any of you guys have advice for how to mitigate the desire to go to the bathroom? I like to drink alot of liquids, and I dont want to miss out on a good spot because of it. Also, when would you recommend we show up to get a good spot?

For the Houston Show, we got in the GA line at 4:00 pm. I was able to get a spot at the front of the B stage about 10 people back. I was very happy with that spot.

I don't have any advise about bathroom breaks, but as the saying goes "you don't buy beer...you rent it" :lol:
Plan accordingly

For the Houston Show, we got in the GA line at 4:00 pm. I was able to get a spot at the front of the B stage about 10 people back. I was very happy with that spot.

I don't have any advise about bathroom breaks, but as the saying goes "you don't buy beer...you rent it" :lol:
Plan accordingly

You have 3 options:

1) Go to the restroom and loose your spot
2) Use an empty bottle to relieve yourself
3) wear depends

Also going to FedEx field with my girlfriend! Any of you guys have advice for how to mitigate the desire to go to the bathroom? I like to drink alot of liquids, and I dont want to miss out on a good spot because of it. Also, when would you recommend we show up to get a good spot?

We showed up at 4:30 PM at Chicago 1 and ended up about 10 people back from the B stage. We were happy.

The liquid issue is a bit tricky. The posters above outlined your choices. :) I was overly conservative and barely drank anything that day. I was extremely parched by the end of the show and dying for water. Next time, I'm going to stand at the back of the crowd and drink all I want and take bathroom breaks all I want. Then again, I've already seen the band up close, so I've checked that off the list.

I will say this: if you make an effort to get to know the people around you in the crowd, that might help you resume your place after a bathroom trip. They'll recognize you when you come back, they'll (hopefully) be more respectful about your space, etc.

So I have a medical issue which means that I have to use the restroom a bit more frequently than normal people. I'm strategic about my bathroom breaks so I took them both around 7 in Vancouver and Seattle and didn't lose my spot (which was second row at the main stage almost dead center). If you're going to leave the crowd to go to the bathroom talk to the people around you and get them to save their spot and leave going parallel to the stage. It's easier to get through by going parallel to the stage then by walking out in a perpendicular direction, plus it has the added bonus of people remembering you on your way back to your spot so they don't think you're trying to shove your way to the front.

Also going to FedEx field with my girlfriend! Any of you guys have advice for how to mitigate the desire to go to the bathroom? I like to drink alot of liquids, and I dont want to miss out on a good spot because of it?
I drink tonnes & tonnes of water the night before, & morning of the show. I stop drinking soon after midday. I'll have my last trip to the bathroom around an hour before gates open. I also wear cargo pants & try to take in fruit boxes (juice) & power bars. Usually I can take them in, occasionally security won't let me. On some occasions security will let you take in uncapped water bottles (so they can't become dangerous missiles). If this I see the case, hide an extra cap on you, as an uncapped bottle will be useless & just spill everywhere.

I'm torn between trying to get close to the B stage or main stage. I'm especially excited for TJT set. Main stage then? And how far back? Thanks!

My plan is to get as close to the walkway (tree stump)leading onto the b stage as possible and then halfway between the main stage and the b stage. So I have a good view of both of them

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom