Prog Rock Topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UberBeaver,

If you like Adrian Belew you might like Three of a Perfect Pair by King Crimson. Sample it online first. Its kind of hit or miss with most fans,but I really like it. It has a sort of Talking Heads sound to it.

Last edited:
^

I don't have that one yet. I should pick it up. I just got the Great Deceiver though and wow is that a fantastic live album!

Alot of people consider Rush to be Prog- at least their earlier stuff through Moving Pictures. I love them of course, but I'm not always too eager to recommend them because alot of people don't (I think its Geddy's voice but I could be wrong).

As for Queen, they have their prog moments just like Led Zeppelin.

Early Queen can be considered prog. They obviously went for a more pop rock sound as the 80's approached.

Rush is definitely prog. Even in the 80's, when synths dominated some of their work, they were still a progressive band deep down.

I would say that albums such as Queen II are certainly prog.

Cool.

King Crimson, on first listen, can be a bit jarring, but stay with it and you'll learn to appreciate some of their stuff. I'm not their biggest fan, and there are some albums I don't care for, but that one is what I consider their best.

I was always a bigger Yes fan, personally.

And yes, March cannot come soon enough for new BSG, and a new thread (don't know about you, but I'm getting tired of seeing "the most politically blah blah blah" in its title...)

Got through the first two and a half songs on my way in - short commute + long songs = unideal listening situation. It sounded good though. I'm getting into it and I guess it finally clicked with me that "prog" does not define music in the same that "blues" would. I guess blues would be the backdrop or base (which is why I never thought Floyd was prog) whereas "prog" would be the genre or style. Is that right?

Also, i sampled a little bit of Dream Theatre. Mike Portney = :up: He's no Stephen Perkins, but he's tight. Is he considered a better drummer than Niel Peart? I never listened to much Rush, but I appreciate Peart from what I've heard.

I'm all for a new BSG thread. Do it!

UberBeaver said:
Got through the first two and a half songs on my way in - short commute + long songs = unideal listening situation. It sounded good though. I'm getting into it and I guess it finally clicked with me that "prog" does not define music in the same that "blues" would. I guess blues would be the backdrop or base (which is why I never thought Floyd was prog) whereas "prog" would be the genre or style. Is that right?

Also, i sampled a little bit of Dream Theatre. Mike Portney = :up: He's no Stephen Perkins, but he's tight. Is he considered a better drummer than Niel Peart? I never listened to much Rush, but I appreciate Peart from what I've heard.

I'm all for a new BSG thread. Do it!

Sorry for being anal, but Theater*, and Portnoy*.

And joke that will clarify that discussion:
"The internet is just an excuse for pimply prog nerds to argue who's a better drummer: Peart or Portnoy".

They are both amazingly good though. Neil is like a machine, Mike's probably more improvised in his approach.

liamcool said:
And joke that will clarify that discussion:
"The internet is just an excuse for pimply prog nerds to argue who's a better drummer: Peart or Portnoy".

This really couldn't be more true.

As Mike himself says on the Live At Budokan DVD, going to Japan is amazing because they have female fans. In North America and Europe, it's just nerdy guys.

:uhoh: Um...are you telling me to stop listening to prog? Lest I become "one of them"? Is it that bad?

Anyway, we might be in luck, cause I have a proglem. I'm not digging the King Crimson album. Like it's good, but its almost like a "broadway" show. Know what I mean? I was looking for something more.....I'm not sure of the word. I want to say "tight" but that's not right. More "rock" less "show". Know what I mean? Like Floyd is expansive, but at the end of the day they're also real basic. I'm looking for something like that, but heavier. Is that prog?

UberBeaver said:
:uhoh: Um...are you telling me to stop listening to prog? Lest I become "one of them"? Is it that bad?

Anyway, we might be in luck, cause I have a proglem. I'm not digging the King Crimson album. Like it's good, but its almost like a "broadway" show. Know what I mean? I was looking for something more.....I'm not sure of the word. I want to say "tight" but that's not right. More "rock" less "show". Know what I mean? Like Floyd is expansive, but at the end of the day they're also real basic. I'm looking for something like that, but heavier. Is that prog?

Listen to King Crimson's Red album. It's like Black Sabbath and King Crimson had a kid and they named it kickass. :drool:

UberBeaver said:
Why isn't Radiohead prog?

Paranoid Android is, to me. Most of the time, however, Radiohead songs are simply not expansive enough to count as prog. No exotic instruments, no ridiculous time signatures, no 25 minute songs...:shrug:

UberBeaver said:

I forgot not everyone thinks being nerdy = cool. :wink:

I'm not a big fan of Yes. I like Close To The Edge, and that's about it.

UberBeaver said:

Hi UberBearver,

You might want to check out a band called Riverside. They have a new album out. I would say they are a heavier Pink Floyd and they're a modern prog band too. I know what you mean by the showy stuff - I like that style but alot of classic prog is like that.

LemonMelon said:
Yes, guys. :drool: Listen to more Yes. I did an in-depth review on Fragile the other day:

http://www.epinions.com/content_409598529156

Heeeeeeeeeey, neat...I'm a member of that site, too! Welcome aboard! Nice review there.

Been kinda reading through this thread...some interesting discussion here. I've heard a few prog rock songs over the years-am familiar with a bit of Yes, King Crimson, and Pink Floyd thanks to my dad. I don't mind some of the Yes and Floyd stuff I've heard. Only heard one song from Gabriel-era Genesis, but it wasn't bad.

I'm not one to listen to progressive rock on a regular basis, simply because I'm not really a fan of songs that go on 9, 10 minutes plus...too long for me. But on occasion it's okay. And I like bands that have elements of prog rock in them. I'll check out some of the stuff mentioned in this thread, though, see what it's like. Axver's got me a bit curious about Porcupine Tree :).

Also, that 101 prog fan rules link was awesome-and dead accurate, too. I've met some people who fit that list PERFECTLY.

Angela

UberBeaver said:

So something like Floyd but with a heavier sound? Well, you've already stated that you weren't too thrilled with Porcupine Tree, or perhaps you just listened to the wrong album, which I believe was In Absentia (although there are some awesome songs on that, IMO).

PT has some really great songs that you may enjoy, though. The early part of their career was more atmospheric like Floyd, and not really heavy at all. Tracks like "Radioactive Toy" and "The Sky Moves Sideways" have Floyd written all over them.

But more recent stuff can be just as expansive but with a heavier sound. Three tracks come to my mind immediately - "Even Less", "Buying New Soul" and "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here". Nothing too fancy - they aren't trying to cram a billion musical notes into one song or anything, but they are very expansive and atmospheric with a heavier vibe to them, especially "Arriving Somewhere". I'd check those out.

Also, there's a relatively new prog band on the scene out of Norway, I believe, called Airbag (yes, they get that name from the Radiohead tune). They pretty much sound like Floyd, especially the guitarist, who obviously thinks he's David Gilmour. Nothing really mindblowing about them, but I think they sound cool. They offer two EPs for free on their website, www.airbagsound.com. Certainly not heavy stuff - it's actually very mellow, but enjoyable. Listen to Sounds That I Hear - the guitar solo at the end is Floyd all the way.

rushu2 said:

Hi UberBearver,

You might want to check out a band called Riverside. They have a new album out. I would say they are a heavier Pink Floyd and they're a modern prog band too. I know what you mean by the showy stuff - I like that style but alot of classic prog is like that.

I liked Riverside's last album.

OK - so why isn't Metallica prog? Master of Puppets has some huge, expansive songs. Granted Lars sucks as a drummer, but the songs apart from that are intricate and proggish, no?

I'm still trying to figure out what makes a band prog. It's proving proglamatic. lolz.

Labels suck. Metallica could be called prog without keyboards, Deep Purple could be called hard rock with keyboards :huh:

To me, prog was just a label given to groups in the early 70's who were experimenting with different keyboards, longer songs, time changes........ symphonic music performed by a rock group. It was an easy way for dipshit music critics like Robert Hilburn to shrug off a band because it wasn't just basic 12 bar blues (which is all clowns like him understood or cared about).

There are no "prog" bands in the R 'n R hall of fame.

I always felt it was just more great music from dedicated musicians. And when performed live by a talented group, no less powerful than Led Zeppelin's 'No Quarter' & not much different from Zep's "Rain Song".

You just gotta find the bands that have the sound you like, this was always my favorite part of it. Listening to new stuff and discovering something new that hits home. But sometimes it takes multiple listens for something to grow on you, and time is tough to come by these days. :shrug:

Or maybe it is just pretentious crap from a bunch of windbags :)

Not my experience of it though.

Back
Top Bottom