Post-NLOTH album partially/totally complete? / Two Albums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bet the Dallas clip is from Winter...

and maybe EBW is a holdover for the meditative pilgrimage album??:drool:

From Fez to Dublin and beyond, via presidents and royalty, Sean O'Hagan charts the making of the new U2 album | Music | The Observer

interesting article, especially this bit

The future is another question for another interview. How long can U2 stay meaningful? Where will rock's greatest adventure end? For now, there is enough material left over from the sessions for an album that, Bono says, will be released before the end of the year. It will be "a more meditative album on the theme of pilgrimage".

Before I can ask, Bono has returned to the table, his laptop open, and is reciting what sounds like a Beat poem. It namechecks Keats and Shelley, St Augustus, a neon Jesus and "the gods of Apollo and Zeus", and there's a line about "tourists with bad breath" and "campaigners against bad debt". There's reams of this stuff, surreal, freeform verse that makes a certain kind of Ginsbergian sense. It does not make it on to the album, but may surface in future live shows if the spirit moves him.

:hmm:

One nagging question hovers unanswered over the postponement: is Bono's other life as a campaigner and activist leaving him too little time to give himself fully to U2?

"When Bono's there, he's there," The Edge tells me later. "He still gives huge amounts of his time and energy, but his life is undoubtedly different now." Larry Mullen concurs. "I can tell you categorically that all the other stuff is not affecting his work. He has boxes of lyrics, great lyrics."

:up: Take that, whiners.

Eighteen months later, though, sitting at a table in his home studio in Notting Hill, Brian Eno, a man not given to exaggeration, will describe a song that "was hatched almost fully formed in a breathtaking few hours" in Fez as "the most amazing studio experience I've ever had". Which is saying something. That song is called Moment of Surrender, a thing of complex rhythmic beauty and cumulative power, that, as Bono will later point out, occupies the same place on No Line on the Horizon as One did on Achtung Baby. That is to say, it is the emotional centrepiece of a big, overloaded, creatively risky record. "Apart from some editing and the addition of the short cello piece that introduces it," says Eno, "the song appears on the album exactly as it was the first and only time we played it."

:hyper:

One nagging question hovers unanswered over the postponement: is Bono's other life as a campaigner and activist leaving him too little time to give himself fully to U2?

"When Bono's there, he's there," The Edge tells me later. "He still gives huge amounts of his time and energy, but his life is undoubtedly different now." Larry Mullen concurs. "I can tell you categorically that all the other stuff is not affecting his work. He has boxes of lyrics, great lyrics."

:up: Take that, whiners.

Eighteen months later, though, sitting at a table in his home studio in Notting Hill, Brian Eno, a man not given to exaggeration, will describe a song that "was hatched almost fully formed in a breathtaking few hours" in Fez as "the most amazing studio experience I've ever had". Which is saying something. That song is called Moment of Surrender, a thing of complex rhythmic beauty and cumulative power, that, as Bono will later point out, occupies the same place on No Line on the Horizon as One did on Achtung Baby. That is to say, it is the emotional centrepiece of a big, overloaded, creatively risky record. "Apart from some editing and the addition of the short cello piece that introduces it," says Eno, "the song appears on the album exactly as it was the first and only time we played it."

:hyper:

Wow, wow, wow! :hyper: :drool:

I think Eno is right, judging by the 45 second clip of Moment Of Surrender, it really does sound like something beautiful and amazing and crafted in a wonderful place. :up:

New U2 album before the end of 2009. Let's hope they don't go on an endless touring spree as usual because that would be the end of the the second album in 2009(which I am dying to hear if it indeed consists of songs like White as Snow, introspective and low key).

New U2 album before the end of 2009. Let's hope they don't go on an endless touring spree as usual because that would be the end of the the second album in 2009(which I am dying to hear if it indeed consists of songs like White as Snow, introspective and low key).

Actually being in the middle of touring would be the perfect time to release this type of album as the pressure to have stadium sized anthem to support an entire new tour would be off. Some of the songs could be worked into the existing tour as they did with Zooropa.

Dana

Actually being in the middle of touring would be the perfect time to release this type of album as the pressure to have stadium sized anthem to support an entire new tour would be off. Some of the songs could be worked into the existing tour as they did with Zooropa.

Problem is they always want to change the songs they have recorded so that means they probably want to rework the songs but have no time because of the touring. Then they want to get the tour to South America (understandably because the audiences there are amazing), have no time to work on the album and by that time it is end of 2010 and they want to record new music. And you can say goodby to that second album. I hope I am wrong but I fear the worst.:sad:

^ Many of us have said we won't see a U2 album in spring because they never release an album outside the holiday season, yet they did. Many of us have said U2 would never start a tour outside the US, yet they'll start in Europe this time around. So I guess we're in for some more surprises by the band, I wouldn't put it past them to release a second album during the upcoming tour.

Many of us have said we won't see a U2 album in spring because they never release an album outside the holiday season, yet they did. Many of us have said U2 would never start a tour outside the US, yet they'll start in Europe this time around. So I guess we're in for some more surprises by the band, I wouldn't put it past them to release a second album during the upcoming tour.

I really hope you are right. But all I am saying is that I wouldn't put all my money on it. But I am totally excited about NLOTH so let's first party with that one:love::love:.

^ Many of us have said we won't see a U2 album in spring because they never release an album outside the holiday season, yet they did. Many of us have said U2 would never start a tour outside the US, yet they'll start in Europe this time around. So I guess we're in for some more surprises by the band, I wouldn't put it past them to release a second album during the upcoming tour.

If by "many of us" you mean people like me? then yes, I am currently eating my words. :wink:

Good Lord I am so excited.

This album.:drool::drool:

The next album.:drool::drool::drool:

I am a sick, sick individual. I've actually reached the point where
I'm bored with NLOTH--and I haven't even heard it yet.
I can't wait for the new, NEW album coming out NEXT year.

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

NLOTH really needs to leak.

Remember, there is some rumor going around that the tour will be mostly weekends, so they could work on the next album during the week.

Problem is they always want to change the songs they have recorded so that means they probably want to rework the songs but have no time because of the touring. Then they want to get the tour to South America (understandably because the audiences there are amazing), have no time to work on the album and by that time it is end of 2010 and they want to record new music. And you can say goodby to that second album. I hope I am wrong but I fear the worst.:sad:

Agree completely. I'll get excited when this kind of confirmation comes from each member of the band...only then will I trust it. And even if they do have something ready there's the strong chance (given their history) that they could want to refine the material and that probably wouldn't happen until after the tour (if they don't decide just to write a new batch of songs), since family commitments would probably keep them from working on an album during tour breaks. But this is just speculation on my part, obviously.

You're right about the tour. As for the album, it's coming out in February/March because they didn't have it finished for the intended November release, so it's not like they're doing that just for the sake of change. But I do hope they can surprise us with another record soon. :yes:

Apart from Crazy tonight, how many of those beach clips sound like they have undergone majopr changes? I tell you how many... none.

Boots has lyrics switched in places, magnificent actually has the same vocal for the intro.

Those songs were ready in June. So why did they take time out to write and record more? Sure they dropped a couple, and wrote a couple, but they said they did that in the last 5 days, so there is 2 months not accounted for. In that Sean o'Hagan interview, Bono SAID that the album IS coming out this year.

We already have 3 names that could just walk onto the new album (Tripoli, EBW, Winter), and I would bet anything that for 2 months they were getting songs finished that were 'anything but what will be on NLOTH'.

I would say they have the 2nd record 90% done. Some mixing and mastering is all that needs to be done.

to decide on the release date of your album based on the 'sake of change' principle would be rather sad to say the least

^ I also forgot to say the M word.

so thats 4 songs that we know of that could EASILY be finished for the new disc (as could the Rubin stuff)

Apart from Crazy tonight, how many of those beach clips sound like they have undergone majopr changes? I tell you how many... none.

Boots has lyrics switched in places, magnificent actually has the same vocal for the intro.

Those songs were ready in June. So why did they take time out to write and record more? Sure they dropped a couple, and wrote a couple, but they said they did that in the last 5 days, so there is 2 months not accounted for. In that Sean o'Hagan interview, Bono SAID that the album IS coming out this year.

We already have 3 names that could just walk onto the new album (Tripoli, EBW, Winter), and I would bet anything that for 2 months they were getting songs finished that were 'anything but what will be on NLOTH'.

I would say they have the 2nd record 90% done. Some mixing and mastering is all that needs to be done.

Dan, don't toy with my emotions like that man.
:drool:

perhaps those early beach clips with rubin such as all my life and believe or whatever it was named could end up on the spiderman musical. always liked those clips.

Remember, there is some rumor going around that the tour will be mostly weekends, so they could work on the next album during the week.

Very key to have the shows on weekends if they are in fact going to bring the stadium tour over to the United States.....as with Popmart, places like Texas will be tougher sells and very, very hard to sell out in these economic times. Having the shows on weekends will certainly squeeze a few more fence-sitters into the stands since they won't have work the next day.

do not kid yourself. in the last 24 hours they ditched 2 songs, mixed 5 and re-did 3 for this past record. in the last 24 hours. give them half a year and lets see what happens.

This thread makes me laugh every time I see it. I've seen it several times before: right around the time of the ALTYLB release and again right around the time of the HTDAAB release. It didn't come true then and it won't come true this time around.

I'll only believe it if I actually see the follow-up album in my hands (figuratively speaking of course - I'd also believe it if I saw it on my hard drive).

Oh wait. I'd also believe it if the Slow Loris said it.

Back
Top Bottom