Post-NLOTH album partially/totally complete? / Two Albums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But it could've fit thematically with the day/night thing. And the horizon thing.

Perhaps 1-5 or 1-6 + a few "day" meditative tracks
and 6-11 or 7-11 plus a few "night" meditative tracks

Though I do hope the pilgrimage thing makes the follow-up even more coherent.:hyper::heart:

Would be awesome if they released another album while on tour. Its possible if those rumours that they will only be doing shows on Friday, Saturday, Sunday is true.

Billboard magazine said they had a whole album's worth of material left over and then there is the matter of the Spiderman musical coming out in the fall for which the music has already been written

Spiderman soundtrack released under Bono & The Edge, U2 LP13 in 2010 to give the tour a second wind sounds excellent to me.

As exciting as this is I know to take it with a grain of salt, and the pessimist (or more likely realist) in me is predicting that we'll be quoting this thread and kicking ourselves over the next few years, but let's enjoy the ride. The tone of this "follow-up" does sound like something they've never done as a full album.

I'm pretty much to the point where I'll believe it when I see it. I think they like to talk out of their ass sometimes.

Two New U2 albums in the near future?

Did anyone else read the blog by Sean O'Hagen for The Guardian? In the blog O'Hagen writes that it bodes well for the album that will follow No Line On the Horizon, which has, he says, "the idea of pilgrimage at its centre", and is made up of the "quieter, more meditative songs" that did not make it on to this one. "Intimacy is the new punk rock," Bono added, laughing. The article itself is a review of White as Snow and it is a terrific review.:applaud:

Did anyone else read the blog by Sean O'Hagen for The Guardian? In the blog O'Hagen writes that it bodes well for the album that will follow No Line On the Horizon, which has, he says, "the idea of pilgrimage at its centre", and is made up of the "quieter, more meditative songs" that did not make it on to this one. "Intimacy is the new punk rock," Bono added, laughing. The article itself is a review of White as Snow and it is a terrific review.:applaud:

It is certainly my reading of that piece, that there is a part two album waiting in the wings. However, I'm not going to hold my breath, as there usually is plenty of stories around the time of a new album that there won't be as long to wait until the next one.

Maybe we'll get lucky this time around and not have to wait five years. The Achtung Baby and Zooropa albums were as close as a quick turn around U2 has offered in the last twenty years, if you don't include Passengers/Pop. With the 6 or so Rick Rubin songs and the 40 or so songs from the Eno/Lanios sessions maybe Hell will freez over and another new album will sneak out in the next two years! Okay, somebody slap me. I'm dreaming now!:wave:

Maybe we'll get lucky this time around and not have to wait five years. The Achtung Baby and Zooropa albums were as close as a quick turn around U2 has offered in the last twenty years, if you don't include Passengers/Pop. With the 6 or so Rick Rubin songs and the 40 or so songs from the Eno/Lanios sessions maybe Hell will freez over and another new album will sneak out in the next two years! Okay, somebody slap me. I'm dreaming now!:wave:

just wanna mention that they have signed a 12 years deal. so in fact, the need to put out a few more records in the next 12 years. at least 3 or 4 i think.

Perhaps "pt ii" of this album will be released to coincide with the US leg of the upcoming tour - it would fit and keep it fresh for promotional purposes.

hmmm... maybe

I hope they do release another album close behind this one.
what about the Rick Rubin sessions? could we see that material in the future? or have those songs been completely scrapped?

IMO its best not to get your hopes up here. We know how U2 operates by this point. They often say things like "We want to get the next one out quickly" just as theyre releasing an album. Long time fans have seen this many times before. Zooropa was the only blip on that radar.

I'll be putting my expectations on late 2012-2013 for the next album. Anything earlier than that would be a happy surprise. :wink:

It will take more than that quote from Bono to change my expectations. He loves to hype shit to the moon.

whats wrong with double albums these days? :hmm:

I like single albums better because that way you get two distinct entities, yet the same amount of music. Why is that better? Let's say that we could bend time and U2 packaged UF and JT together as a double album. Great---we've got a killer double album. But the way we currently have it, we have two great albums. That's better, IMO. Or think of it this way: Achtung is fantastic. Zooropa is pretty good, perhaps made even better knowing that it was made halfway through a tour. But now imagine if they'd put Achtung and Zooropa together as a double album----it'd be entirely different. Would it have been just as good? Or would Achtung not be seen as such a masterpiece, because the back half of it (Zooropa) wasn't quite as strong?

All trivial musings, of course. But that's why I prefer single albums.

White As Snow: U2's most intimate song | Music | guardian.co.uk

Scroll down to the bottom.

"It's kind of pastoral," said Bono. It bodes well for the album that will follow No Line On the Horizon, which has, he says, "the idea of pilgrimage at its centre", and is made up of the "quieter, more meditative songs" that did not make it on to this one. "Intimacy is the new punk rock," Bono added, laughing. But is it the new stadium rock?

Discuss!
I totally missed this part reading it quickly the first time. This is very exciting and means I don't mind a not-so-long album coming out in March if another one's ready for release! What makes me trust Bono is that he uses the present tense to describe the songs -- as thought they're all complete. Here's hoping Eno's more experimental stuff shows up!

How could Bono lie about this? I believe him.

I totally missed this part reading it quickly the first time. This is very exciting and means I don't mind a not-so-long album coming out in March if another one's ready for release! What makes me trust Bono is that he uses the present tense to describe the songs -- as thought they're all complete. Here's hoping Eno's more experimental stuff shows up!

How could Bono lie about this? I believe him.

:up: This really would be awesome, and it'd make sense with all the previous things we heard about the recording sessions. However, I can't get too optimistic yet...:wink:

From the Guardian article:

For now, there is enough material left over from the sessions for an album that, Bono says, will be released before the end of the year. It will be "a more meditative album on the theme of pilgrimage".

Maybe this will happen...Winter 09:drool:

09 will definitely be their year if that happens. Isn't it true that there will only be 3 singles released from NLOTH? Has that been confirmed?

If this pans out, it'll be better than a double album...two separate albums with separate identities in the same year...sounds too good to be true.

09 will definitely be their year if that happens. Isn't it true that there will only be 3 singles released from NLOTH? Has that been confirmed?

If it means getting a meditative winter record, then I really hope so.

I hope soon we'll get some more information on this follow up to NLOTH. I think it depends if NLOTH is a success, if it is then it'll go ahead. If it isn't, it could be left alone for a few more years.

I hope soon we'll get some more information on this follow up to NLOTH. I think it depends if NLOTH is a success, if it is then it'll go ahead. If it isn't, it could be left alone for a few more years.

Actually, it could be the other way around.

So, in 2009 we get NLOTH, the 18 track Spiderman musical soundtrack AND another album (after 4 singles are released.) THREE U2 albums in a year!?!??! I can't believe that....

2010 (at best!) For the next album, still that would be awesome....

Just as long as we don't have to wait another 4-5 years for the next album i'll be happy.

I think 2010 will be more realistic, 2010 can be U2s year too. :D

Back
Top Bottom