Post here if you're still holding out for the album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Have you listend to the 30sec clips of the whole album?

• Yes, I couldnt wait!

Votes: 198 57.4%
  • No, I wait till the whole album is leaked

Votes: 33 9.6%
  • No, I wait till the whole album is released

Votes: 114 33.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am curious as to how many of the holdouts like myself caved in the past and know the ramifications? On the contrary, are many of you on here newbies who never had the option of listening to a new leaked U2 album?

Myself, I keep reminding everyone of how terrible my HTDAAB first listening experience was b/c I had heard all the good stuff. I was so disappointed with the rest of the album I turned the damn thing off. If I would not have heard Vertigo/COBL/SYCMIOYO/ABOY prior, and heard the whole album in full, I probably would have been off my rocker with glee. However, I had heard them and expected the rest of the album to be just as good, so after I was done, I was terribly angry with how sub-par the rest of the album seemed coupled with my expectations. To a lesser extent, the same thing happened with ATYCLB. My fanaticism actually spoiled the first experience of listening to a new album. Ironically, I was more like WTF just happened when I listened to POP for the first time, which I had not heard any leaks prior to buying it.

This time, I going in VIRGIN EARS and all. The rush is going to be incredible. I'm not viewing the album track list either, just popping the CD in my stereo, looking at the album art, smelling that new CD/booklet smell, cranking it, and listening to it in full without any expectations of what songs are next or which ones are supposed to be good.

Fuck it.
Just got my final year first semester results back, and I knocked it out the park. 76% average... first class degree here I come! :drool:

Gonna turn all the lights off, and lie on my bed with my iPod and reward myself with the beautiful sound of new music. :cute:

Fuck it.
Just got my final year first semester results back, and I knocked it out the park. 76% average... first class degree here I come! :drool:

Gonna turn all the lights off, and lie on my bed with my iPod and reward myself with the beautiful sound of new music. :cute:

You're in for a well-deserved reward! Good luck getting past "Moment of Surrender." I had to repeat that one three straight times after the first listen, before I could even move ahead in the album, on my first listen...

I'm waiting for the gorgeous box set to be delivered to my desk. I want to look through the books and be able to listen to the CD uniterupted in my car (my work speakers are super-crappy, like a few steps better than mono). Now I've gone back to the tradition I started before HTDAAB and am listening to all the U2 albums in order. "Boy" sounded so great on the drive in!

The time will fly!

GG, you're still holding. That's some will power there.
Heh, well I actually don't have much trouble with it oddly enough. NLOTH2 satisfied my need for new U2, and ofcourse when everybody says its' so awesome it gets tempting. But I just ignore that feeling and distract myself, also helps that I'm busy so yea, I'm good!

But I am easy. :wink:

:wave:

:shifty: Well, some of us are easy for U2 ofcourse.

But still, show some spine. :wink: You can do it!

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am curious as to how many of the holdouts like myself caved in the past and know the ramifications? On the contrary, are many of you on here newbies who never had the option of listening to a new leaked U2 album?

I wasn't around when Bomb leaked, but I was around for everything after that. The beach clips of 06 with WITS, the best of thingy, all the speculation and rumours.

It made me realise that whatever you could hear on the beach clips, is basically shite. It doesn't tell you anything and it's not worth for me to get excited over. WITS was totally different, only had the Oh can't you see thing a bit down, but yea, it doesn't tell you anything about the song.
Then there's also things to be said about the initial album OVERexcitement, of which my 2nd sig is a prior example. Everyone knows Axver hates Bomb, and if you read back in those threads, he was a cute little U2 nerd who LOVED everything they did.
Everybody loved the album the first few days. It's just not worth getting caught in the hype, I prefer to be able to form my own judgement and not rush one because I'm too excited. Just chill and listen to it a lot before forming an opinion.

This time I decided that I'm not getting excited before I have it. Well, to be honest, yes I am already excited because of Boots and more because of NLOTH2, and because of what everyone's told me already. But the anticipation can only make it better because I don't have much expectation for the album.

Ladies and Gentlemen:

.. snip ...

I initially thought the same regarding ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

I have heard the clips/leaks of all 3 albums since 2000. ATYCLB and HTDAAB ended up disappointing me. NLOTH, on the other hand, is growing on me big time.

I think a truly great album will overcome the expectations/initial impressions. I sincerely doubt that listening early will ruin an album for me in the long run. It certainly colors my first impressions, however.

Personally, I heard the 30 second clips of ATYCLB and the acoustic version of Sometimes. Otherwise nothing off the album.

I enjoyed both, same as NLOTH2 this time. But somehow the urge to cave in is stronger now than it was in 2004.

I have been listening to all the older material the last month just to get into that joyous U2 spirit.I really dont even know how to do the whole leak thing anyways,so I will definitely not hear NLOTH until March 3.If I can wait 4 years and 4 months another week and a half is not going to kill me.:drool:

:lol: Nice idea!

Though I'm afraid I'll leave this thread before you guys do, since I'll be able to buy the album the 27th rather than the 3rd of March.

that's when I think I'm gonna find it tough, once the album is officially released and this place goes all quivery and nutso with excitement. . . have the pretty little box set ordered but no idea when jb will deliver . . .was going to purchase the regular ole cattle class album on the day of release but funds have tightened up a little . . . (sports registrations for kidlets are insanity in this place . . . just forked out over $800 in rego fees alone :sigh: )

In answer to the question at the top of the page, I'm a newbie and this is my first big album release and I kinda don't wanna spoil it.......but I don't want to be disappointed either by not listening to it if you see what I mean. I don't think it will sound same on the computer anyways

Plus what are we gonna do when they are on different things, like next week in the uk they are on Jonathon Ross Show, Live Lounge radio one and chris evans radio show, what will we do if any of them play new album stuff? :ohmy:

I still haven't caved though!!:D

In answer to the question at the top of the page, I'm a newbie and this is my first big album release and I kinda don't wanna spoil it.......but I don't want to be disappointed either by not listening to it if you see what I mean. I don't think it will sound same on the computer anyways

Plus what are we gonna do when they are on different things, like next week in the uk they are on Jonathon Ross Show, Live Lounge radio one and chris evans radio show, what will we do if any of them play new album stuff? :ohmy:

see, (and I am about to age myself before your very eyes), before the internet and the whole instantly-saveable -have -every -little -tv -appearance-radio snippet -etc thing at your fingertips, I lived for all the promo stuff , all the appearances and radio stints and little snatches of songs that came with the whole media circus. . . it gave me (and a tonne of others) a little window into what was to come on the album and as long as you didn't obsessively ( :whistle: ) replay and repeat the stuff, when the album was released it was still a fresh and awesome first listen. .. so I say watch all the promo stuff, add to the excitment and anticipation and your first listen will still be the beautiful experience you want it to be :yes:

Was going to try to holdout, but I woke up yesterday saw an email saying it leaked, and my willpower was no where to be seen lol. I think of it this way- the download I have is 256 kbps, I listen to the songs and get to know them; when it comes out in a couple weeks and I buy the cd I'll be able to listen even more closely to the production and layering.. and sort of listen to it for the first time all over again. I guess it's like reading a cliff notes version of a book, and then reading the book itself.

In the end, it is just music - and music is meant to be enjoyed. Not listening was just an irrationality.

I am glad I listened... though what I think of the album remains to be seen :hmm:

see, (and I am about to age myself before your very eyes), before the internet and the whole instantly-saveable -have -every -little -tv -appearance-radio snippet -etc thing at your fingertips, I lived for all the promo stuff , all the appearances and radio stints and little snatches of songs that came with the whole media circus. . . it gave me (and a tonne of others) a little window into what was to come on the album and as long as you didn't obsessively ( :whistle: ) replay and repeat the stuff, when the album was released it was still a fresh and awesome first listen. .. so I say watch all the promo stuff, add to the excitment and anticipation and your first listen will still be the beautiful experience you want it to be :yes:

Thanks :D I'm looking forward to all the promo stuff coming up on tv and on the radio.

I think the easiness and accessiblility of the internet makes it so difficult these days, I mean we can listen at the click of a button, amazing really but difficult!! I really want to hear it, but am holding out so far, as its my first proper album release.:heart:

I wonder if the sound quality of the leak is any good or not? as I listened to clips for GOYB before it came out, and then when I heard it properly for the first time it sounded totally different, then different again on the computer, then different again on cd! I want to save all that and just hear the proper album when I have it, don't even know if its worth listening to the leak if its not good quality.:hmm:

Judging from past experiences, they won't play anyting 'new' on those shows when the album isn't out yet. The only thing from Bomb that was played before it came out was Vertigo, not counting the Brooklyn Bridge ofcourse!
And in some shows ABOY and COBL were played, MD on CDUK but that was after the release, same with SYCMIOYO, so see it this way. Singles are being played in events like this, so you'll hear them anyway. Usually some of the real gems remain on the album!

Now that I think of it, I think some of these promos were before the album release. Ah well, it was after the leak anyway.

To everyone who hasn't listened to it yet: WHY???!?! Go listen to it! You know you're gonna buy it. And the quality of the leak is more than fine!

Judging from past experiences, they won't play anyting 'new' on those shows when the album isn't out yet. The only thing from Bomb that was played before it came out was Vertigo, not counting the Brooklyn Bridge ofcourse!
And in some shows ABOY and COBL were played, MD on CDUK but that was after the release, same with SYCMIOYO, so see it this way. Singles are being played in events like this, so you'll hear them anyway. Usually some of the real gems remain on the album!

Now that I think of it, I think some of these promos were before the album release. Ah well, it was after the leak anyway.

Whew, thanks. So I'm only really likely to hear the single GOYB? :D:D

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaah, still holding out!! :applaud: :D :applaud: :D

To everyone who hasn't listened to it yet: WHY???!?! Go listen to it! You know you're gonna buy it. And the quality of the leak is more than fine!
Why are you even in this thread? If you're so happy about having listened to it, there are about a gazillion threads here about that.
Stop invading ours. We don't WANT to listen to the leak. leave us alone.

Whew, thanks. So I'm only really likely to hear the single GOYB? :D:D

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaah, still holding out!! :applaud: :D :applaud: :D

Myea, perhaps one follow up, that's my best bet. It's only 2 weeks and the whole marketing for Boots just started. I doubt they'll want to release a new single soon, would ruin the chance for Boots.

I don't have a specific reason for not listening at this point. Yeah, it's probably not going to sound much different between the HQ leak that's out there now and the CD version on my headphones, but at this point it's become an experiment for me.

I'm so often all about instant gratification and impusle buying, so it's like a test of my willpower at this point. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom