Popmart DVD in April

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:

I attended both in person and while I had a better personal experience with the Popmart show, the Zoo tour has held up much better all these years later, in what I want to listen to and/or watch now.

(The exception to this is Pop Muzik/Mofo, which kicks all kinds of ass in all shapes and forms.)

Part of it, I think, is that the ginormous Popmart screen and visuals don't translate well to home video. There's just no way to experience what it was like unless you were actually there.

I attended multiple shows of both as well. Dont get me wrong, I liked Zoo TV alot. But some people on here that didnt even attend it make it sound like it was the ultimate show ever and give it some type of mythical status. It wasnt, it was cool, but the music was lost in the production. I didnt care for that at all. I think the musical performances on Vertigo and Elevation were WAY stronger than most Zoo shows. I liked Popmart because it was over the top, but for me at least, the music wasnt lost in it like it was on the Zoo tour. I'm sure many will disagree. Just my personal perspective having seen both.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's totally a preference thing and I get that. There are other reasons Popmart as a whole doesn't hold up for me, but lest this thread turn into another "Popmart vs. Everything Else in the Entire World" debate, I'll refrain.

:wink:

Can't believe it took 5 pages for the widescreen situation to be raised. It had better be in widescreen! The PopMart stage was very wide and widescreen would suit it really well. Zoo TV would have been nice in widescreen but I'd say PopMart demands widescreen.

LyricalDrug said:
PLEEEEEAASSSEEEE let it be in widescreen format!!!!

:drool:

As with the release of the Zoo TV DVD, I hope they keep the original aspect ratio. Yes, that means it's also a 4:3 DVD, but that's the way it was shot then. By changing it to 16:9 you're gonna lose some information on the video.

So original aspect ratio please!

FUCK YEAH!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Sorry but this is just sooo great!!!

Finally im going to hear MOOOOFOOOOOO in DTS screaming over my surround set. :drool: :drool:

And Last night on earth, Gone, Discotheque, HMTMKMKM WOOOOOTTT Please flowing over in streets!!!

This concert film is simply made for a DVD(high definition like R&H?) release.

The sound should also be quite impressive, both the 5.1 mix and likely LPCM stereo track.

Santiago was not lit properly for official release. Watch the JT doc that has the Mothers of the Disappeared '98 clip.

u2fp

Nice... another one to add to the collection...

I hope they release the 12-31-89 show on DVD sometime soon...

theu2fly said:
I hope they release the 12-31-89 show on DVD sometime soon...
Do we know for sure, absolutely guaranteed, that the whole of this show was filmed? I know its been talked about as being a release candidate but I've never seen anything to suggest all of it was actually filmed.

Blue Room said:

I attended multiple shows of both as well. Dont get me wrong, I liked Zoo TV alot. But some people on here that didnt even attend it make it sound like it was the ultimate show ever and give it some type of mythical status. It wasnt, it was cool, but the music was lost in the production. I didnt care for that at all. I think the musical performances on Vertigo and Elevation were WAY stronger than most Zoo shows. I liked Popmart because it was over the top, but for me at least, the music wasnt lost in it like it was on the Zoo tour. I'm sure many will disagree. Just my personal perspective having seen both.

I see some of your points BR, but I don't think that the music was lost in the production...I think Popmart engulfed the music more so than Zoo TV. Popmart was pure masturbation and just unnecessary in many ways. Call U2 kitsch, or ironic...but I thought it was over the top and mostly fluff. The message of Zoo TV was apparent, the message of Popmart never fully materialized the way the band envisioned.

That said, I look forward to the Popmart DVD...:yes;

I seriously doubt 12-31-89 will ever see any type of official release and no official sources have ever said its even a possibility. Fans hoping is all. If they were going to release a Lovetown show (which I doubt they ever will) they would most likely use the November 18th Sydney show as it had full production and obviously portions have been released already in the Lovetown documentary.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

I see some of your points BR, but I don't think that the music was lost in the production...I think Popmart engulfed the music more so than Zoo TV. Popmart was pure masturbation and just unnecessary in many ways. Call U2 kitsch, or ironic...but I thought it was over the top and mostly fluff. The message of Zoo TV was apparent, the message of Popmart never fully materialized the way the band envisioned.

That said, I look forward to the Popmart DVD...:yes;

:yikes: I dont care for the masturbation analogy and dont really agree with that, understand it, nor do I want to. :lol:

Its all a matter of preference and opinion. I thought Popmart was a better tour than Zoo. :shrug:

Tours I have seen in order of my preference:

Popmart 10 shows
Vertigo 11 shows
Elevation 9 shows
Joshua Tree 1 show
Zoo 8 shows

Again, I didnt hate Zoo, I actually really liked it. I just preferred the other tours I saw more. I guess its why I'm looking forward to this DVD more than the Sydney one.

I have never seen Popmart before. :reject:

Just Mofo from the ipod special, Gone from the Best of DVD, and Bad from Santiago.

This is a NEW show for me. I have waited a few years for this to happen. I didn't want to buy the vhs 6 years ago. Long wait, eh? :reject:

Roland of Gilead said:

Just Mofo from the ipod special, Gone from the Best of DVD, and Bad from Santiago.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xxcWeU-KdRI

One of U2's best live moments

If u can , try to catch a mp3 of it , coz its audio is better than the video , and u will hear Edge's guitar 100% full glory

Roland of Gilead said:

This is a NEW show for me. I have waited a few years for this to happen. I didn't want to buy the vhs 6 years ago. Long wait, eh? :reject:
The Pop songs are just awesome live. So many times better than on the album. You will be impressed. IMHO Please is right up there as one of U2's best ever live moments. And then PopMart Mexico has a killer version of All I Want Is You which makes most others seem lightweight.

Good to see looking forward to it. I hope they put the Press Conference with Holy Joe on the bonus materials :)

Yahweh said:
Good to see looking forward to it. I hope they put the Press Conference with Holy Joe on the bonus materials :)
Would be funny if they did. That press conference was pretty cringe worthy. U2 trying to explain what PopMart was about. It sounded pretty stupid. Of course PopMart it was a great show when you went out to see it for real. But the meanings behind the concept and U2's attempt at explaining it all during the press conference were pretty embarassing for them.

Last edited:
COBL_04 said:
AWESOME

Now if they will only release November the 18th of 2006 I could almost die happy.
That would make it 3 Vertigo DVD's which is too many. We need an official DVD from The Unforgettable Fire tour. Imagine that... we'd get The Unforgettable Fire (the song itself), Wire, one of those really long versions of Bad, a version of Pride with energy (although the Vertigo 4th leg versions were awesome) etc...

U2Man said:
its a shame that it isnt the santiago show.

whis would be a great opportunity to correct that error.

I've never seen the Popmart Santiago show. Anyone know where I could find it?

Thanks

phillyfan26 said:
I still think the outfits were way too over the top
That was the point, love :wink:

And I need to properly fangirl over PopMart in this thread:

A dozen reasons why I love PopMart Mexico

1. MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFO! :rockon: I love Bono jumping around and psyching the crowd up. And then that moment when he hits the middle eight, and finally lowers his hood, and as Bono put it, speaks to his mother in front of a crowd of fifty thousand of his closest friends. And of course the move me a mountain outtro, which is the only thing really missing from the album version.

2. Last Night on Earth :rockon: One of U2's hardest rock songs, and it was fantastic live. I love the duelling images of Edge and Bono on the big screen during the chorus. "You gotta give it aWAAAAY!", and of course the middle eight, "Mexico, Mexico, Mexico City, how did you get so high?"

3. The raw emotion during I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. It's probably my favourite song of the concert. It always gets me when Bono's out by himself at the end of the b-stage, and he just leans back and sings "Lift us higher, Lord! Lift us higher, Lord!"

4. Never Tear Us Apart snippet at the end of All I Want Is You. Simply perfection.

5. Bono forgetting the lyrics of Desire, then trying to sing La Bamba and finally giving up :lmao:

6. Edge solo Sunday Bloody Sunday. An entirely new spin on a classic.

7. Please into Streets. Stunning. Bono on his knees, singing "Please, please, please", as the entire 150 foot screen bleeds to red and the Streets intro begins to fade in.

8. The LEMON!!!!! It's so funny when it begins rolling forward, and the entire crowd has the same "WTF" look on their face.

9. The entire B-stage set. Discotheque with the Life During Wartime snippet, the girl Bono pulls up for If You Wear That Velvet Dress, and the way he clings to her, stunning performance of With or Without You, and all the lights going off, turning the entire stadium into a night sky of flickering lighters (cell phones will never compare)

10. The way the crowd cheers when they see the MacPhisto logo, and then Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me brought to life. They so need to bring this one back.

11. One. I'm sick of this song, and very few versions of it are going to change my mind about that, but this performance gets me every time. Bono is in tears. You can see him blinking them back, and you can hear it in his voice. And the outtro is just beautiful.

12. And everything else I forgot to mention, like Bono's bad Spanish and overuse of the word "Mexico", and their outfits, and everything else I can't remember because I've been abstaining from watching the video for MONTHS because I knew it would be out on DVD eventually and I wanted a fresh impact when it finally came :hyper:

Wow, I'm so excited, cannot wait.

Dreamoutload13 - After reading your lovely post, now I really can't wait for April to arrive. I know I'm off subject, but isn't this the same month Bono's book will be released, wow its all happening.

Sunny8

DreamOutLoud13 said:
10. The way the crowd cheers when they see the MacPhisto logo, and then Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me brought to life. They so need to bring this one back.

:drool: :drool:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

11. One. I'm sick of this song, and very few versions of it are going to change my mind about that, but this performance gets me every time. Bono is in tears. You can see him blinking them back, and you can hear it in his voice. And the outtro is just beautiful.

Yeah , u can see it all , during the last solo , when he puts his pick on the mouth and start to play passionately with the fingers

onem.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom