PLEBA Misc U2 News and Articles #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Canadian Jam! showbiz site, there are also interviews with Edge and Larry. Seems they all got quizzed separately. Interesting read:

Larry:

CANOE -- JAM! Music - Artists - U2: 'We always want to do better': Mullen

'We always want to do better': Mullen

By JANE STEVENSON -- Sun Media

U2 drummer Larry Mullen Jr. sat down with Sun Media in an exclusive Canadian newspaper interview late Thursday backstage at the Rogers Centre in Toronto, just hours before the band performed their second show at the venue.

Mullen gets the credit for the formation of U2, as he was the one who posted an ad on his high school notice board when he was just 14, looking for bandmates. The rest is history. He used to joke it was The Larry Mullen Band for about 10 minutes, before frontman Bono walked in.

Here's the best of what Mullen had to say during our 20-minute chat. Contrary to his reputation for being quiet, he was chatty and warm in person:

Sun Media: The band formed in 1976 and put out its first album, Boy, in 1980. Why after all this time are you still touring, do you think?

Mullen: There's nowhere else to go (laughs). What else am I going to do? I'm not qualified to do anything else. It's been a long time. And it's not always an easy choice to make, leaving your family, leaving your friends. That's a huge decision. However, we are very anxious to push the boat out as far as we possibly can. We always want to be better, and to do more. And I think that comes from when we were a young band out of Dublin. We were uncool, we were not terribly hip, in comparison to our contemporaries at that time, so we've always kind of felt a little like underdogs. And I know that sounds really preposterous at this stage but we always felt a little like that. ... So when we go out on stage it's just we want to basically prove ourselves every night."

Sun Media: Does anything surprise you anymore about U2 on stage?

Mullen: It is still a lot of fun. We actually like playing together. We like each other. We enjoy it. I mean that's always a surprise because you imagine that, 'Well, you're going to get tired of this and everyone's going to go their separate ways, and it'll all just fizzle out.' And it's always a surprise that that hasn't happened (to us), and that the value and the strength of those relationships is in some ways confirmed every night when we get out and play. And I think for a lot of people, four people who have been together for this period, walking out on stage together is a very powerful thing for your audience, but it's also hugely powerful for us."

Sun Media: Are Canadian audiences different than European or American audiences?

Mullen: Before we were big in the United States, we were big in Canada. Canada has always been huge for U2. And Canada traditionally has been very open to new music and, particularly, to U2. So we know this audience and they know us. Does it mean we don't have to work hard? No. Because it's a discerning audience because they know music, so we gotta work hard ... I'm not exaggerating and I'm not blowing smoke. Canada sustained us through some difficult periods of time. (Canadians) always supported us and, again, were music savvy, so they were always, on a musical level, an educated audience. So it was very important to us. So I love coming back here. I've spent a lot of time in Toronto and Montreal, on and off, on my own time, and I love it. Actually, I came back here a lot when I hurt myself. I had some injuries after the last tour and there were a couple of doctors here I was coming to see."

Sun Media: Do you have a post-show routine?

Mullen: I'm not a young man. I'm doing all right but over the years from bad posture I've managed to injure myself. I've been playing since I was nine, a street drummer. I didn't learn properly and so I did all the wrong things, and I certainly didn't expect to be playing 25, 30 years later. I thought you'd end after a certain period of time and I'd get on with my life. So continuing to do this and to pound and to play badly really has had an effect. The good news is that I found a physical therapist ... On stage I wear a plaster on the back of my neck just to hold my neck up, which is something I've never done before, I've always sort of tilted forward. So it forces me back just very slightly so it's made a huge difference ... I'm feeling much better. I'm actually really enjoying it."

Edge:

CANOE -- JAM! Music - Artists - U2: The Edge a fan of performing live

The Edge a fan of performing live

By JANE STEVENSON -- Sun Media

U2 guitarist The Edge is largely considered the soul of the Irish rock band, what with his distinctive, atmospheric style of playing that conjures both emotion and awe with every chord.

He told Sun Media, in an exclusive Canadian newspaper interview backstage at Rogers Centre on Thursday night before the band's second show in two nights, that performing live is where it's at for him.

"On a good night, I think there's no band like U2, and there's certainly no audience like the U2 audience," he said.

Here's the best of the rest of what The Edge had to say during our 20-minute chat:

Sun Media: You seem to still be enjoying yourself up there after three decades of doing this.

The Edge: Touring is sort of a crazy way to live, but what really makes it bearable is that two-hours-15 that you're on stage playing the songs with your best friends, to some other great friends -- the U2 fans. It's a fantastic job.

Sun Media: How did you think the first show in Toronto went on Wednesday night?

The Edge: I thought it was really one of the best shows we've played for a long time even though, yeah, it was challenging (set-list wise). I just think everyone played so well. Adam and I, the swing of us, everyone gave everything, and musically, it just sounded really top. And on a great night like Wednesday night when the music is really coming together, you get a great buzz out of that.

Sun Media: Is walking out on that enormous, space-ship like stage on your current tour, still surreal after launching the trek in Barcelona on June 30?

The Edge: It takes my breath away. Quite often I just look over and go 'whoa' every time I go out for sound check during the day. Actually, I think it's a thing of rare beauty myself. Just the form of it and the architecture of it and the fact that it's so practical and does such a great job is obviously important, but it is beautiful to look at. It's a wonderful bit of kit.

Sun Media: Your documentary film It Might Get Loud, with White Stripes guitarist Jack White and Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page, is coming out in Canada soon. What was that experience like for you?

The Edge: It was a great experience, very inspiring. We'd not met. I think I'd met Jimmy but not really had a chance to talk about much. And Jack, I think I'd met once at an awards show, to say hello. So we'd never really sat down and had a proper talk about anything, so this opportunity was great. I really like what they do with a guitar, they're very unique players and I'm a big fan of theirs -- so it was just great to spend a bit of time with them and see what they're about. We hit it off really well. The surprise for me was how different we were in terms of what sounds we were creating and ... what we were hearing and intending to reach, in terms of the sound and the expressiveness of the guitar. They were very different. Different to each other, and different to me.

20090825_bono_2_290.jpg

U2 frontman Bono pays flying visit to Westport
Monday, 24 August 2009
Image of Bono and fan Maria Harrington
Maria Harrington was lucky enough to meet Bono at The Quay on Saturday.
Bono pays a flying visit to Westport

Neill O'NeillNeill O’Neill

IT wasn’t at all a beautiful day, but that didn’t stop a mini frenzy when U2 frontman Bono rocked into Westport last Saturday. In town to attend the funeral of the late Ivan Kelly – whose daughter it is thought works for him - the pint-sized superstar enjoyed refreshments in the Castlecourt Hotel with his wife of 20 years Ali after Mass in St Mary’s Parish Church, before attending the post-funeral gathering in Cronin’s Sheebeen. After a quick lunch the pair returned in their chauffeur driven 04 Maserati to a waiting helicopter that was parked on the reclaimed land behind the bottle banks at Westport Harbour.
Despite a hectic schedule and the fact that the rest of U2 were waiting for him to go on stage in the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff later that evening, Bono happily stopped to sign autographs and pose for pictures before boarding his waiting aircraft. His wife left the scene in the car, which was already in the national media on Saturday, as Bono and Ali had travelled from their Dalkey Home to Miltown Malbay in Co. Clare to attend the wedding of singer Andrea Corr and Brett Desmond, and were pictured arriving late for the service.
Speaking to The Mayo News, the pilot of Bono’s helicopter said that his company – ‘Executive Helicopters’ - received a call to bring an unnamed client from Doonbeg Golf Club – where the wedding reception was held - to Mayo. He only realised his passenger was Bono – whose real name is Paul Hewson - when he landed to pick the client up, before flying him to Westport. The pilot added that his brief was to fly Bono from Westport onto Ireland West Airport Knock, where a jet was waiting to take him to his day job in Cardiff.
Locals who met the iconic charity campaigner and musician couldn’t believe that the jet-set lifestyle of one of the biggest superstars in the world was unfolding before their eyes in Westport.
Sisters Aoife and Maria Harrington, whose family own the Harbour Store at Westport Quay, waited in the rain for half an hour to meet Bono, and were not disappointed.
“He was lovely,” Maria said, “his driver was trying to rush him through to the helicopter but Bono stopped and spoke to everybody, and was so nice to all the kids that were there.”
Aoife agreed, adding that he thanked everybody for coming out to meet him before giving his trademark peace sign out the window of the helicopter as it vanished into the clouds.

RTÉ 2fm To Mark 30 Years Of U2 With Weekend U2 Bonanza

23rd September 2009

To celebrate 30 years since U2 had their first single played on RTÉ 2fm the station will broadcast U2's top 30 moments on the RTÉ airwaves starting from 5.00pm on Friday 25 September onwards throughout the weekend.

In September 1979 three songs were in contention to be the A-side for the U2's first single U2 3. RTÉ 2fm DJ Dave Fanning polled listeners on his radio show to vote which song should be the A-side. The three songs were Out of Control, Boy/Girl and Stories For Boys. The RTÉ 2fm listeners chose Out Of Control, a song that Bono wrote on his 18th birthday. Both Out Of Control and Stories For Boys appeared on the Boy album and Boy/Girl was only released as a single. The rest is history.

Throughout the weekend tune in to hear recordings from their first ever radio interview in RTÉ with Dave Fanning, their performance of Beautiful Day on the roof of the Clarence Hotel in Dublin, the night they got naked in studio, when they got the Freedom of Dublin, that infamous call to Colm and Jim-Jim and when they were live at Slane. This, plus bucket loads of tracks from over the years makes RTÉ the home for U2 fans from Friday 25 - Sunday 27 September.

You'll also be able to listen back to these clips throughout the weekend online at Introduction - U2 30 - RTÉ Libraries and Archives. This website is a presentation by RTÉ Libraries and Archives made up of a collection of clips collated from RTÉ TV and RTÉ Radio. exclusive extracts can be heard regularly throughout the weekend on RTE Gold, one of RTÉ Radio's new digital radio services

As if that wasn't enough RTÉ Pulse - RTÉ's new digital dance station will be hosting a special show, called U Too, which will exclusively feature U2 remixes. Presented by Christian Homan, the show will feature classics such as Lemon, City of Blinding Lights and Where The Streets Have No Name remixed by the likes of Ferry Corsten, Rendanka, David Morales and more. U Too will air at 8.00pm on Friday 25 September, 9.00pm on Saturday 26 September and at 5.00pm on Sunday 27 September.

Tune into RTÉ 2fm for the U2 30th Anniversary Weekender from 5.00pm on Friday 25 September - Sunday 27 September.

Megan Fox and U2 panned over Saturday Night Live shows | Entertainment in Ireland and Around the World | IrishCentral

Megan Fox and U2 panned over Saturday Night Live shows Megan's not funny and U2 looked too tired

Megan Fox and U2 have been panned for their performances on the season premier of Saturday Night Live this weekend.

Fox - currently promoting the oddball movie "Jennifer's Body" - was totally overshadowed by co-star Jenny Slate who dropped the F word during their skit.

Mind you, Slate's in good Irish company for that one. Bono dropped the F word during the 2003 Golden Globes awards and actor Colin Farrell let loose during an interview with CNN last year.

However, the opening night to SNL's 35th season really failed to take off.

Megan is a competent actress but comedy seems to be her weak spot. It could have been the writing but it appears as if she just doesn't have the flair or the timing. Her date skit was mind-numbingly awful while it's a big Nyet to the Russian bride one. "Biker Chit Chat" was marginally better but that's when Slate accidentally slipped up and dropped the F word.

As for U2. Well, they were awful. Yeah, I've said it. They were dreadful on the show and they should never have been allowed to do three songs.

Clearly the touring must be getting to them.

And who decided they should do three new songs?

Jeez- they should have kept at least one well-known one.

If they were looking for new fans, I don't think they found what they were looking for on SNL.

And as for Megan? There's nothing funny about her comedy at all.

And who decided they should do three new songs?
:lol: The sucker doesn't even check the release dates of the songs.
Clearly if you are a self respected writer you should get your facts right,
some thing allot of u2 critics don't seem to notice.

*coughultravioletcough*

Pathetic :|

I'm getting really annoyed by the hate and ignorance that people are showing towards the band's new material.

Besides the fact, that UV isn't a new song.

Do some research, moron!

UV is a lovely song, one of the best of this tour for sure. I would die if it got scrapped.:ohmy:

A brief news story about when Bono and Adam experienced police shooting at their airplane in Jamaica. I think we've all heard the story before, but this little article brought some more details that I hadn't heard before:

BonoAdamJamaicastory.jpg

A brief news story about when Bono and Adam experienced police shooting at their airplane in Jamaica. I think we've all heard the story before, but this little article brought some more details that I hadn't heard before:

BonoAdamJamaicastory.jpg

To be fair on the Jamaican police, Bono does look like a drug baron there.

Check your news stands tomorrow...

10527_141880594726_36280349726_2460.jpg

Cover Story
U2 Live From Outer Space
As U2's massive rock show — featuring a four-clawed sci-fi cathedral — hits the States, the biggest band in the world seeks to prove it's also the best. By Brian Hiatt

Album Guide: Rolling Stone's guide to U2's best recordings.
Photos: Pics tracing the rockers' path to megastardom.
Coming Soon Video: Exclusive video from the U2360° Tour kickoff of the U.S. leg in Chicago.
Report: On the scene in Chicago.

Check your news stands tomorrow...

10527_141880594726_36280349726_2460.jpg

Cover Story
U2 Live From Outer Space
As U2's massive rock show — featuring a four-clawed sci-fi cathedral — hits the States, the biggest band in the world seeks to prove it's also the best. By Brian Hiatt

Album Guide: Rolling Stone's guide to U2's best recordings.
Photos: Pics tracing the rockers' path to megastardom.
Coming Soon Video: Exclusive video from the U2360° Tour kickoff of the U.S. leg in Chicago.
Report: On the scene in Chicago.

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

Do you have this bigger Dandysweets? my eyes got buggy after tring to read it :lol:

i'm sorry, but no matter what i do it doesn't seem to get bigger when i upload it to this forum. maybe you can copy the picture to your desktop and then open it in your picture-viewer and zoom in so the text gets bigger - it works for me on my computer.

The Washington Post
October 01, 2009

By Chris Richards

After months of anticipation, it finally descended upon FedEx Field: the stage prop to end all stage props. Looming 164 feet over the stage and christened "The Claw," with its menacing girth it made Funkadelic's mothership look like a Frisbee covered in Reynolds Wrap.

It was stunning, surreal -- oh, and a rock band played beneath it, too. The band is called U2, and it's on the most extravagantly staged tour of its 33-year career. And, judging from the stage banter Tuesday, its fans are mostly high-ranking politicians. (Only at a U2 concert will Nancy Pelosi be shouted-out twice.)

The band charged through a satisfying set of its most rousing tunes -- "Where the Streets Have No Name," "Sunday Bloody Sunday," "Beautiful Day" -- but it often felt secondary to the nonstop visual turbulence. This wasn't about the band onstage. It was about the stage itself. "We got a spaceship," declared frontman Bono early in the show. "But it isn't going anywhere without you!"

Was that a threat? Because this thing looked scary. To call it "The Claw" is to have seen it only through the tiny windows of YouTube. In person, it felt more like "The Colossal Robotic Crustacean That's About to Stomp Off Into Prince George's County and Destroy Everything in Its Path." Even if it did stay put, its laser cannons would surely vaporize Larry Mullen Jr. upon the flubbing of his first drum fill.

Those laser cannons were actually stage lights and with all of them firing in tandem, the band underneath seemed practically invincible. Take 2004's "Vertigo," a middling U2 anthem at best. As the quartet performed in the round, leaping from overblown chorus to overblown chorus, a cylindrical video screen hanging overhead actually began to move, splintering into hundreds of honeycomb-shaped panels that stretched slowly downward. Black-and-white images spun around this gigantic LCD funnel, a bioluminescent roulette wheel twisting on an axis of strobe lights. It was enough to set your mouth agape, and it gave the band permission to do whatever it pleased.

As long as the screen was working, that is. Early in the set, during a handsome version of "Magnificent," the pixels went black for about 90 seconds. Now this was some real suspense! What if U2 had to slog through the next two hours under the biggest busted television on planet Earth?

It would have been fine. Even while playing a new single that fans are still getting to know, this is a troupe that can hold its own. Before the band had a chance to really prove it, the screen flickered back to life and the Edge plunged into a warbling guitar solo.

With all whiz-bangs whiz-banging at full capacity, U2's best tunes felt bulletproof. "New Year's Day" was urgent and spry. "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" was noble and smooth. Even "Mysterious Ways" managed to deliver an unexpected punch, despite Bono's awkward invitation to "Get your groove on!"

His intensity peaked during "Where the Streets Have No Name," as he stomped his foot on the stage, pleading with the crowd to chime in. He had failed to trigger the enthusiastic singalongs that these songs deserved, but here it felt almost like a demand.

What did he expect? This wasn't a rock show. This was an orgy of light and sound -- something that felt most apparent during "With or Without You." When a grown man croons one of the most tender rock songs ever written while wearing a jacket embedded with laser pointers, can we be expected to do anything other than drool?

As with any seamlessly choreographed rock extravaganza, the evening's highlight was completely unintentional. It came during that delightful moment of the band's 2000 hit "Beautiful Day," a momentary pause where the band's gusto evaporates into nothing, leaving the Edge and Mullen to harmonize in empty space.

Singing into their headset microphones before diving back into the chorus, the duo sounded out of breath and out of key. It lasted only a second, but it was a necessary reminder that beneath the dreamlike spectacle flashing overhead, there were actually four guys just trying to play a song.

© The Washington Post Company, 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom