PLEBA Misc News and Articles #3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2 Manager Hails Irish Court Decision On Filesharing

The High Court in Dublin has given the green light to IRMA and Eircom's graduated response scheme.

The High Court has cleared the way for the Irish Recorded Music Association and Eircom to implement their graduated response to illegal filesharing, which was agreed in February 2009 but held up by a legal objection.
Agreeing with IRMA’s assertion that “an IP address refers solely to the network address of a computer and is not personal data when in IRMA’s possession”, Mr. Justice Charleton said in his ruling: “The right to be identified with and to reasonably exploit one’s own original creative endeavour I regard as a human right. It is completely within the legitimate standing of Eircom to act, and to be seen to act, as a body, which upholds the law and Constitution. That is what the Court expects of both individuals and companies.
“The internet is only a means of communication,” Justice Charleton continued. “It has not rewritten the legal rules of each nation through which it passes. It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalises that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the internet.”
One of the first people to react to the ruling is U2 manager Paul McGuinness who comments: “This is a landmark decision. The judge’s emphatic and eloquent words will be reported around the world, and be welcomed by musicians, composers, filmmakers and actors everywhere.” Echoing those sentiments, IRMA Chairman Willie Kavanagh adds: “The whole music industry, including performers, composers and record labels, has been decimated by illegal peer to peer traffic and our losses amount to over €60m per annum. Our industry has lost 40% in sales value between 2005 and 2009 with devastating effects on Artists and creativity. Today’s decision is the first step back towards allowing Artists to make a living again.”

IRMA and Eircom’s graduated response scheme will now proceed to what they term “the educational and awareness campaign” stage. The ultimate sanction of Eircom disconnecting illegal filesharers will only be taken after the issuing of three official warnings, and due process.

Stevie Wonder, Muse, U2 and Willie Nelson on bill as Glastonbury 2010 line-up is revelaed

By Tom Bryant 16/04/2010
Stevie Wonder

Rapper Snoop Dogg and country star Willie Nelson were among the final acts confirmed for this year's Glastonbury Festival.

They will join headliners Stevie Wonder, U2 and Muse at the 40th anniversary event in late June.

Dizzee Rascal, Scissor Sisters and The Flaming Lips are also among the main acts playing the festival in Pilton, Somerset.

Other performers include Vampire Weekend, Norah Jones, Faithless, the Pet Shop Boys, Paloma Faith and former Guns N'Roses star Slash.

The final bill is usually not confirmed until the event begins. But this year's announcement comes days after the final batch of tickets for the event at Worthy Farm sold out.

More than 350 acts have been booked to perform over the weekend from June 25 to 27.

Advertisement - article continues below »

U2 will headline on the Pyramid stage on Friday, while Muse are confirmed for Saturday and Stevie Wonder on Sunday.

Organiser Michael Eavis said: "This is it. The most staggering line up to match the 40-year reputation of the festival."

More than 100,000 people descend on the site each year, pitching tents and often braving mud and rain.

The full list of performers across 12 stages can be seen on the festival's website: Glastonbury Festivals - News - The 2010 line-up is revealed!

thats a pretty aweome line up, I don't want to imagine what kind of budget Glastonburry has.
some of the headliners are a couple of mills already.

Good article. As always, well written, with a sense of irony. :up:

However, he will get flack again for it, as always, no matter what he's writing about. People are just really aggressive when it comes to Bono.

Here's the Vogue cover

voguemay2010frenchcover.jpg

Bono's latest column in the NY Times:
Op-Ed Guest Columnist - Africa Reboots - NYTimes.com

I love the way he writes, especially the last paragraph, its really neat how he ties it all up with soccer and the world cup :cute: aaand he considers The Edge his boss! :lol: :D

Thanks for that :) - I always love reading those - very well written as usual. Ive made a mental note to use a few of his articles should I need to analyse any in my english class :giggle:

Wow, I love that Vogue cover. Bono looks hot and Penelope is one lucky woman indeed :wink:

I'll certainly find that Vogue issue here, but unfortunately I don't speak French well enough to be able to read the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom