peyton manning > tom brady

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My husband said on Sunday that there were no great QBs left in the game, that nobody was anything special except Peyton Manning. He said back in the 80's there were tons of greats, but not anymore, only Manning was a true great. And he is not even a Colts fan and has always bugged me about them so I consider that a huge statement from him.

peyton is the only great qb? please. what do great QB's do? pile stats on losing teams? or win championships? or both? i guess leading your team to 2 SB in 3 years and winning the MVP in those games isnt great at all, or winning what is it, 27 or the last 28? (or 26 of the last 27? either one.) doesn't take a special leader to do that, though.

but, if you want to talk about loser quarterbacks who haven't won anything but are "great", sure, manning is a great losing quarterback. so is mcnabb, he's a great player too. vick's got great potential, so you can label him as another great qb not to win a superbowl. you could make an arguement for dante culpepper to an extent.

to say that theres no special QB aside from peyton manning is just flat out wrong.

Last edited:
It's not about team wins or super bowls, it's about which qb has better individual football talent. Manning is tops, clearly. Not only is he better, he is shaping up one of the best seasons for a quarterback in NFL history.

U2Kitten said:
My husband said on Sunday that there were no great QBs left in the game, that nobody was anything special except Peyton Manning. He said back in the 80's there were tons of greats, but not anymore, only Manning was a true great.
Has your husband heard of a certain actor from Farrelly Brothers' movies named Brett Farverra?
Clearly he's near the end of his career, but I'd say he ranks as a "great" QB and he's still in the game.

Hewson said:
Has your husband heard of a certain actor from Farrelly Brothers' movies named Brett Farverra?
Clearly he's near the end of his career, but I'd say he ranks as a "great" QB and he's still in the game.

oops,i forgot him in my post as well. i knew i left somebody from the nfc out.

Jeff Hostetler has a Super Bowl ring. Sometimes it's not just about your QB. That being said, I'll still take Roethlisberger. Wait, this was about Brady/Manning, damn.

Hewson said:

My husband hates Brett Farve, he calls him a 'dumb hick.' He's always said he was overrated.

rupertg said:
It's not about team wins or super bowls, it's about which qb has better individual football talent. Manning is tops, clearly. Not only is he better, he is shaping up one of the best seasons for a quarterback in NFL history.

Very true. :up:

:up: for Lightning Waltz too. A lot of mediocre players have Super Bowl rings, and great players like Fran Tarkenton, Dan Marino and Dan Fouts don't.

U2Kitten said:

My husband hates Brett Farve, he calls him a 'dumb hick.' He's always said he was overrated.
While I wouldn't argue the "dumb hick" aspect, when Favre retires, he's gonna be regarded as at the very least one of the top 5 QBs in NFL history, and justifiably so.
Hicks can be great players, just look at one Larry Jo Bird, "The Hick from French Lick".

Terry Bradshaw was also called a 'dumb hick' in his day. I do believe Farve will make the Hall of Fame, but I don't think he's even in the top 12 of all time much less top 5. Top 25, maybe.

Of all time?

In no particular order:

Dan Marino
Joe Montana
Johnny Unitas
Otto Graham
Y. A. Tittle
Bart Starr
Fran Tarkenton
Terry Bradshaw (so a lot of lame guys have a SB ring but he's got 4)
Roger Staubach (though I hate Dallas)
Slingin' Sammie Baugh!
Dan Fouts
Jim Kelly

I have to leave out John Elway as I cannot stand him worse than my husband dislikes Favre. I'm sure I could name some more old timers but I can't think of them right now. I left off currently active players.

I would not have chosen him anyway. And I don't think he or Kurt Warner will ever be remembered among the greats, only maybe in a Dan Pastorini or Doug Williams type of way.

Is Ken Anderson in the hall of fame?

U2Kitten said:
Of all time?

In no particular order:

Dan Marino
Joe Montana
Johnny Unitas
Otto Graham
Y. A. Tittle
Bart Starr
Fran Tarkenton
Terry Bradshaw (so a lot of lame guys have a SB ring but he's got 4)
Roger Staubach (though I hate Dallas)
Slingin' Sammie Baugh!
Dan Fouts
Jim Kelly

I have to leave out John Elway as I cannot stand him worse than my husband dislikes Favre. I'm sure I could name some more old timers but I can't think of them right now. I left off currently active players.
Ok I'm gonna take a little time to come up with an objective system to rank these 12, plus Elway (see this is where I think you have a problem, you leave Elway off cause you don't like him, much like your husband dislikes Favre, but its not being objective, and trust me Elway will land high up in the top 14) and Favre.
There's a couple I could just refute without stats easily, but I'll search out some stats when I have enough time later and rank them based on your normal career passing stats, plus some other things like winning percentage and playoff success (the only way Bradshaw comes close to the top 12), to try to keep it fair and objective.

OK here's the stats first:Categories are Passing Yds, Completion Percentage, Pass TD's, Td-Int ratio, Passer rating and SuperBowl/NFL titles:

Marino: 61,361 ,59.4% , 420 Td, 1.64 ratio, 86.4 rating, 0 titles
Montana: 40, 551, 63.2%, 273 TD, 1.96 ratio, 92.3 rating, 4 titles
Unitas; 40,239, 54.6%, 290 TD, 1.15 ratio, 78.2 rating, 2 titles
Graham: 13,499, 55.7%, 88TD, 0.94 ratio, 78.2 rating 3 titles
Tittle: 28,339, 55.5%, 203TD, 0.92 ratio, 73.6 rating, 0 titles
Starr: 24,718, 57.4%, 152TD, 1.10 ratio, 80.5 rating, 5 titles
Tarkenton: 47,003, 57.0%, 342TD, 1.29 ratio, 80.4 rating, 0 titles
Bradshaw: 27,989, 51.9%, 212TD, 1.01 ratio, 70.9 rating, 4 titles
Staubach: 22,700, 57.0%, 153TD, 1.40 ratio, 73.6 rating, 2 titles
Baugh: 21,886, 56.4%, 187TD, 0.92 ratio, 72.2 rating, 2 titles
Fouts: 43,040, 58.8%, 254TD, 1.05 ratio, 80.2 rating, 0 titles
Kelly: 35,467, 60.1%, 237TD, 1.35 ratio, 84.4 rating, 0 titles
Elway: 51,475, 56.9%, 300TD, 1.33 ratio, 79.9 rating, 2 titles
Favre: 48,806, 61.4%, 369TD, 1.66 ratio, 87.1 rating, 1 title

Now to rank (this'll take a few minutes), I'm gonna rank the first 5 categories on a 14-13-12...-2-1 sliding scale, and award 1 point per title to not handicap the Marino's of the world too much.

Marino: 14 + 11 + 14 + 12 + 12 + 0 = 63
Montana: 9 + 14 + 9 + 14 + 14 + 4 = 64
Unitas: 8 + 2 + 10 + 7 + 5.5 + 2 = 34.5
Graham: 1 + 4 + 1 + 3 +5.5 + 3 = 17.5
Tittle: 6 + 3 + 5 + 1.5 + 3.5 + 0 = 19
Starr: 4 + 9 + 2 + 6 + 10 + 5 = 36
Tarkenton: 11 + 7.5 + 12 + 8 + 9 + 0 = 47.5
Bradshaw: 5 + 1 + 6 + 4 + 1 + 4 = 21
Staubach: 3 + 7.5 + 3 + 11 + 3.5 + 2 = 30
Baugh: 2 + 5 + 4 + 1.5 + 2 + 2 = 16.5
Fouts: 10 + 10 + 8 + 5 + 8 + 0 = 41
Kelly: 7 + 12 + 7 + 10 + 11 + 0 = 47
Elway: 13 + 6 + 11 + 9 + 7 + 2 = 48
Favre: 12 + 13 + 13 + 13 + 13 + 1 = 65

So based on this system, your top 14 rankings:
1. Favre
2. Montana
3. Marino
4. Elway
5. Tarkenton
6. Kelly
7. Fouts
8. Starr
9. Unitas
10. Staubach
11. Bradshaw
12. Tittle
13. Graham
14. Baugh

Now its obvious that recent players scored higher due to the evolution of the passing game, so as a balancing, I'm gonna double the score of the "old timers" and add 50% to the 70's players and re-rank:
1. Starr: 72
2. Tarkenton 71.25
3. Unitas 69
4. Favre 65
5. Montana 64
6. Marino 63
7. Elway 48
8. Kelly 47
9. Staubach 45
10. Fouts 41
11. Tittle 38
12. Graham 35
13. Baugh 33
14. Bradshaw 31.5

I know thats far from scientific, buty its just to give a rough idea. Either way Favre is top 5 for sure, plus his totals will still rise.

Hewson said:
Now its obvious that recent players scored higher due to the evolution of the passing game, so as a balancing, I'm gonna double the score of the "old timers" and add 50% to the 70's players and re-rank:
1. Starr: 72
2. Tarkenton 71.25
3. Unitas 69
4. Favre 65
5. Montana 64
6. Marino 63
7. Elway 48
8. Kelly 47
9. Staubach 45
10. Fouts 41
11. Tittle 38
12. Graham 35
13. Baugh 33
14. Bradshaw 31.5

I know thats far from scientific, buty its just to give a rough idea. Either way Favre is top 5 for sure, plus his totals will still rise.

This is more like it. But I still put Montana ahead of Favre in every cateogory.

Didn't Unitas win 3 titles, 2 in the 50's and SB V (even though Earl Morral played mostly in the game he had played most of the season)

U2Kitten said:

Didn't Unitas win 3 titles, 2 in the 50's and SB V (even though Earl Morral played mostly in the game he had played most of the season)
Yeah I guess we should credit him, he did start the game and go 3 for 9 with 2 ints before being yanked for Morall with his team trailing, so give him 3 titles.
It won't alter his position in the rankings in either scenario anyway.

At any rate, back to my original point (And I agree I would take Montana over Favre), statistically there's no way you can claim Favre is not even a top 25 QB or a top 12 QB...its pretty clear he'll end up top 5 in most rankings at his retirement.

I'll give him top 25 because I can't think of 24 others better. We'll see how his legacy is placed after his retirement.

Peyton only got 1 pass last night, still needs one to break the record!

Yes, but his QB rating on ass-passes is only 22.92. (1 for 2, 9 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT)

There's a difference Headache, when we talk about ass-passes with Brady we're referring to when he's fallen and throws a pass on the football field from the seat of his pants, not the ass-passes Eli makes in the East Village in the bars like the Ramrod and White Swallow.
Its surprising he's only 1 of 2 being so young, rich and with a real purdy mouth.

Back
Top Bottom