Pavement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only know of this Hit the Plane Down track because everyone and anyone said LC! did their equivalent of it with Plan A.

I think Plan A is fun.

Also:

1. Fin
2. Shoot the Singer
3. Grounded
4. Gold Soundz
5. We Dance

I was going to put something from Terror Twilight just because I defend it heartily. Carrot Rope, You Are A Light, and Cream of Gold would all be HIGH on a longer list.

Let's read Christgau's review of the album just for kicks:

"Terror Twilight [Matador, 1999]
Since I was fooled myself until I saw them live and knew every riff, I'm wondering why some believe there are no songs here. Probably the explanation is tempo. There's never that frantic hang-on-for-your-life moment when you either pay attention or embrace brain death--when you engage at gunpoint. And though the music seems stitched together rather than wound tight, it's never in any apparent danger of falling apart; it isn't riven or driven by internal contradictions. Thus, too much meaning is left up to the words. But that's not the same as the songs not being there--or as the meanings not being there either. A-"

Usually his A- reviews are pretty damning with faint praise, so that's a bit of an exception.

And hell, let's check out another one because it's such great rock-crit:

"Brighten the Corners [Matador, 1997]
Mature or die is the whole of the law. So of course there's no longer much insurgency in their ill-mannered sounds, now deployed to serenade a self-sustaining subculture and celebrate a band's collective success. Moderate tempos that once breathed psychedelic wooze turn reflective if not thoughtful as lyrics reference the material emoluments of middle-class life. Yet it's still exciting, because it isn't dragged under by the nagging disappointments that generally dull such music (and security). As convinced ironists, Pavement never expected anything else. Closure is a chimera--they'll drink to that. Onetime insurgent Thelonious Monk--they'll drink to him, too. A man known for his brilliant corners. A"

It is amazing how much a guy can say in such few sentences. When he's on, he's on.

Five tunes not mentioned that probably are all in my top 8-10:

Grounded
Rattled by the Rush
Blue Hawaiian
Elevate Me Later
Starlings of the Slipstream

Thought I'd post the rest of my Mirror Traffic thoughts in here in hopes of more MALK discussion.

The second half of the album didn't really change my opinion up to that point; there are no songs I dislike, but the moments of brilliance are rare. All Over Gently is probably the weakest thing on there, but that could be a placement issue. I read a review that said the power of No One Is (As I Are Be) is diminished by being squeezed in-between Tigers and Senator, and I'm inclined to agree, so there's definitely a scattershot issue. On Wowee Zowee this worked because we were hearing Pavement try a whole lot of new things, intrigued by what would come out of the bag of tricks next. Now, we know what Malkmus is capable of, so the surprise just isn't there.

Spazz could have been a better opener than Tigers, I'd posit, and the run from it through Forever 28 is pretty damned great. If we're not dividing the album into sides (and at this point, why should we?), that run begins a couple songs back with Asking Price.

For me, the clear standout on the whole album is Stick Figures In Love, and that moment around 2:50 'til the end where it's just that guitar going takes me to that place that the best Pave/Jicks songs do. And that fade-out leaves me wishing it could have gone on longer. The guitar sound actually reminds me of Bernard Sumner's dirtier work with New Order, particularly on side one of Brotherhood; maybe I'm crazy.

Anyway, I've still only heard this four times, and will be listening to it much more. But for an album that's not as "complex" as Real Emotional Trash, it hasn't captured my heart as quickly as that one did. As suspected, this is closer to Face The Truth for me, where there were a lot of good songs, but few great ones (on that album, it was No More Shoes, Freeze The Saints, Loud Cloud Crowd). Compare this to Pig Lib, which had Water And A Seat, Do Not Feed The Oyster, Animal Midnight, Witch Mountain Bridge, 1% of 1, and Us for starters. And then there's the first album, which seemed a little goofy and all over the place at the time but really does have a large number of great tracks.

So yeah. Favorites from Mirror Traffic are Stick Figures, Brain Gallop, No One Is, Share The Red, Forever 28 (in that order).

Just downloaded it, I might listen to it tomorrow. I notice the final track is called Gorgeous Georgie, which is fucked because that's the name of the girl I met :lol:

Stick Figures

I heard this on the radio right before arriving at work this morning. Really liked the guitar. I was going to try to give the album a listen on Spotify or Grooveshark before buying it to be safe, but I may just say screw it, and just buy it.

While the lack of tight musicianship is mentioned by Malkmus in today's P-fork interview as intentional, I still think the privilege of having Janet Weiss is wasted on this album compared to her work on Real Emotional Trash. Not just in the drumming, but in he scarcity of her backing vocals.

That interview is worth a read in terms of getting some insight to the recording and writing process.

Hmm... I like it. I like pretty much every song (though No One Is is dreadfully boring, and awfully placed as you say) but there's something that prevents me from loving it that I can't quite put my finger on... a bit uninspired maybe? I dunno.

I heard a fantastic song from the new solo album on the radio this afternoon. For some reason I sorta spaced on it, and still haven't picked it up.

I've only listened to this once in the last week. Not a good sign considering how much spin I gave Real Emotional Trash.

But I needed to hear Stick Figures In Love so badly I popped it in just for that.

Still the best song, easily. But I think Beck faded it out too early. Wanted to hear more of that rough guitar.

New album! Jan 7.

2a1be4ed.jpg

First taste is Lariat

Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Lariat (Lyric Video) - YouTube

Decent track, though it doesn't grab me anywhere near as much as Senator, the only track from their last album I come back to.

Heard it yet Laz? Got a 7.0 from the 'fork. I'll be checking it out, quite enjoyed Mirror Traffic without ever loving it. Aside from Senator, none of the tracks stuck in my mind.

Me and Peefork rarely agree on THE MALK! For instance, they rated Real Emotional Trash really low because of the psychedelia and jamming and that's why it's my favorite of his. Was a little cool on Mirror Traffic, which I imagine this is going to resemble more.

It does sound like a logical continuation of Mirror Traffic. I like it.

Alright, given Wowee Zowee a couple of spins. It starts off so well, We Dance, Rattled By The Rush and Black Out are all great songs, and I'd already heard Grounded, which is my fav Pavement song. It starts to meander a bit thereafter for me, a lot of more experimental, ramshackle passages, longer periods featuring just instrumentation, less clear vocals from Malkmus.

...and?

You didn't really conclude your thoughts. Supposedly the track order was totally random. Not sure I buy that story as We Dance seems like a perfect opener but then Western Homes is a majorly weak-ass closer.

Kennel District is a great standout, just a perfect catchy tune. Second half also has the brilliant AT&T, Fight This Generation, etc.

Kennel District is a great standout, just a perfect catchy tune. Second half also has the brilliant AT&T, Fight This Generation, etc.
Decided to listen to Wowee Zowee right away because of these songs alone :up:

Which means Wig out will have to wait

Not sure I buy that story as We Dance seems like a perfect opener but then Western Homes is a majorly weak-ass closer.

I didn't say that at all. Definitely some good tunes on the second half, namely the ones you mentioned.

I prefer the more... affecting side of Pavement (lack of a better word there). My fav of their tunes are the ones that make me feel something, so Elevate Me Later, Cut Your Hair, Gold Soundz, Range Life, Fillmore Jive, Frontwards, Shady Lane, Here, Grounded, Box Elder. I didn't find a lot of that on Wowee Zowee.

Wowee Zowee is my second favorite Pavement album. I love the ramshackle nature of it all (it suits their sound incredibly well) and about a third of the album is astonishing, as good as anything they've ever done.

My favorite is Crooked Rain, which is a well-oiled indie rock machine; outside of a couple bumps in the road, it's perfect. One of the best albums of the genre/scene.

I like all of these tracks as well, particularly Kennel District.

That said, Wowee Zowee is my least favorite Pavement album by a large margin. Cobz n I r twinz!

Is this where I'm supposed to talk about Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks?

Just about finished with my first listen to Wig Out at Jagbags and I enjoy it, but am I imagining thing, or did they used to rock just a little bit harder?

Favorite tracks: "J Smoov" and "Chartjunk"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom