Origins of Mercy? (a thought)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kosull

The Fly
Ok, this is going to sound absolutely nuts and probably is taking nit-picking to the extreme, but I've listened to Disc 2 of the Axtung Beibi out-takes for the first time this week and noticed something during the Wake Up Dead Man track (track 11 disc 2). At around 5 minutes a guitar sound comes in that really reminds me of the continuous guitar sound on Mercy. People will only understand this if you have both tracks, but give it a listen. Obviously the link is extremely tenuous but it made me wonder whether Edge has a few guitar sounds or loops that he keeps in mind and drags them out when the occasion calls.

Oh, and on the version of Even Better than the Real Thing, the verses sound a bit like the guitar on Big Girls Are Best.

Right, that's that put down in writing. I now prepare to be told 'no you're completely wrong', 'you're taking it too far', etc.

I think HERE it's never wrong to tell your own opinion. At least I appreciate it! :) BTW I'm pretty sure, that as innovative as he is, The Edge still has his favourite guitar sounds, and they pop up time and again, perhaps even unconsciously.

Wouldn't be a shock. I believe Edge keeps all their old recordings and ideas that they don't use - I once heard he even has unused tapes of material stretching back to Boy! Not sure of the truth of that, but they definitely hold onto material for years and years.

typhoon said:
NO, YOU'RE COMPLETELY WRONG.

YOU'RE TAKING IT TOO FAR.

Cheers. It wouldn't have been the same thread without someone saying it!

It doesn't surprise me that Edge has tapes stretching so far back and it definitely is illustrated in the reluctance to give out new b-sides. They obviously archive sounds and tracks and intend to come back to them again and again until they're finished.

edge has a ton of riffs stockpiled. hes had the vertigo riff saved for some time.

Vertigo as a riff has been around for years.

I would imagine that (most likley edge) has stockpiles of stuff that has never seen the light of day. Sometimse giving something a break and going bk 2 it can make it better.

Case in point: COBL from the pop sessions. A 'Normal' band would have discarded this idea and recording and now we'd never be able to look so beauitful tonight.. in the city of blinding lights

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom