Original Of the Species your thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j72

The Fly
Hi Folks

I am new to this forum and i am sure this song has been talked about before but i would love to hear individuals thoughts, feelings and personal perspectives on this song. What it means to them and perhaps how it may have evolved for you in your life since you last listened or perhaps posted about it. Will share mine as well but would love to hear for now others take on (for me anyway) this beautiful song -with peace and wishing you the best for the new year -jules

Welcome Jules!

Sorry, but it's not my favourite song, though it's a decent attemp at a sort of Beatlesque pop song, which is not an easy thing to pull off, it's more successful in that respect than WITS, which is similar to my ears anyway.

One of the better songs off Bomb thougH!

I've always thought it's a really good song, but it's a little awkward. It's supposed to be a song about encouragement for their daughters, but then Bono says "I want you some more."

Hi folks

Thanks for your replies so far, i find myself in agreement (albeit from my angle) with much of what has been said so far. I guess i personaally find this song so engaging because of it's "awkwardness" or clumsiness both in sentiment and music. I hear the comment about "want you some more" it unsettled me for a little while but then ultimately hear it in a universal way. Both for my children and the idea of what human beings have beating inside in them. Appreciated the video too thanks, coming back to this spot i have unintentionally run on so hope i don't bore the pants off you but it is deeply held feeling i guess

My work/life (support work and counselling) consists of working with bruised and often very damaged, understandably angry hurt people but i am consistently moved by the capacity for change and ability to find something very beautiful inside and fearful hurt 'selfishness' becomes care and love for self and others. I myself have been at the end of the shit stick and suicide felt the only way and i would perhaps never have seen today if others had not helped me see to stand upon my own originality in all its imperfections together with love within which i see as the universal power of love whether you have a set belief or not.

These lyrics then for me capture a little of what is so special about people and who i might meet everyday from a shared glance to long conversation, most especially when they are true to themselves. They teach me, steal under my door with insight and feeling that show and enchant when they are genuine and show me the lot of what they've got, in whatever colour or shade that might be.

And you feel like no-one before
You steal right under my door
I kneel 'cause I want you some more
I want the lot of what you got
And I want nothing that you're not

look forward to hearing more folks if you want in agreement/disagreement and all the stuff inbetween -take care

I agree. :) It's long been one of my favorite songs. I like the different versions, but the album version is my favorite, and I sometimes repeat it a few times in a row when I'm driving. It holds a very special and emotional place for me. The song itself too is just so unusual sounding and unique, I love it. :heart:

I'm with Comet. Beautiful song. :love: My favourite from the album from the first time I heard it. There is something about it that sets it apart from anything else they have done.

I like your interpretation of it! :up: Welcome to the boards!:D

It was my favorite song on Bomb after my first listen-through. It's not currently, but still a very good song. One of the handful of U2 songs that, when in the right mood, can get me a tad misty.

It was my favorite song on Bomb after my first listen-through. It's not currently, but still a very good song. One of the handful of U2 songs that, when in the right mood, can get me a tad misty.

Everything you said here. :up: It was my immediate favorite as well when the album came out.
Remember when the song was on the ipod ads? I used to get emotional every time that commercial came on TV. :reject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDsm8VtGxO8

I like it but I feel that the song was not that promoted and thereby remained somewhat unknown.
The orchestra versions that were recorded during the Vertigo tour have a really nice crescendo and the overall melodic tone with its lyrics is fulfilling.

The performance of it at Chicago captured the iconic shot of Bono's head used during the iPod ads.

iPod-bono-apple-ad-cropped.jpg

And if you have an iPod Touch or iPhone look closely above the "Artists" category and you'll see almost the exact same shape of his head (with the microphone) but in gray and in miniature version. Is this some sort of unheard U2 trivia?

And if you have an iPod Touch or iPhone look closely above the "Artists" category and you'll see almost the exact same shape of his head (with the microphone) but in gray and in miniature version. Is this some sort of unheard U2 trivia?

LOL, too funny. This man is, quite seriously, everywhere. Has anyone found Bono in their toast or as a cornflake yet?

By the way, back on topic, interesting song. One of those that if I just think about it out of context, it's kinda meh, but then when I actually listen to it, I really love it, every time. Guess it's one of those that sneak up on me slowly then knock me over the head with emotion. I like that.

I prefer the Single Version of the song, and actually really enjoy this remix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKVj_A30-HA

I've always enjoyed any version of the song. Not one of my absolute favorites by the band, but definitely one the ones that stand out from their recent output .That version is great too.

I think the "want you some more" can be interpreted in a lot of ways too, not just romantically. Perhaps that's what Bono had in mind for it as well. One can easily want to spend time with another person, be it a significant other, friend, family member, etc.

Thanks for the response everybody and the welcome and kind expressions too. I found myself having a bit of a smile to myself when someone said at first when i think of the song i think "meh" but then i really like it and it gets to me, or words to that effect. I feel much the same, it is indeed also a song that creeps up and gets you though like any song i have to be in the mood.

I also love the line and most particularly the way it is delivered amidst the music-

"Sugar come on, show your soul
You've been keeping your love under control"

BEAUTIFUL!

I have to admit, this is the song that really sparked my interest in U2, and soon led me to pick up the Rattle & Hum film and Joshua Tree album. I went crazy for the band after that. For this reason alone it'll always hold a special place for me.

A beautiful song from a solid album (IMHO), and the performance from Vertigo Milan with the orchestra backing is gorgeous. The remix somebody posted earlier is simply sublime...

God you've just really made my day Silken Sky and letting me know about the Milan clip. Am lalid up off work with a sickness bug at the moment but even through that cloud, SO MOVED by Bonos vocal performance on this as much as the song itself.
As lush as the backdrop is i turned my head away from you tube visuals to really absorb it. I agree with others that this song seems to sometimes fall short live BUT THIS, JUST SUBLIME-THANKS A LOT. Gave my emotions quite a working over.

I really like the song, and good to be reminded of that cool video, which I'd totally forgotten about. That was one of their better (only?) big-budget concepts of the 2000s.

I think it's a great song, but then I like everything on Bomb! In terms of lyrics and performance, it's certainly one of the better ones and obviously one of the more emotionally affecting songs of that period.

However, good as the melody is in each part of the song, I've always found the overall structure kind of awkward. It sounds like two or three separate musical ideas stitched together into one (nevertheless, good) song. Somehow, the major changes from bridge to verse to chorus are a bit strange.

But overall, it's a fairly great song.

Don't mind the album version, it was pretty ordinary live though.

I really like this song, and I agree that it was ordinary live, though there was one performance during the vertigo tour when they played it similar to the album version, (with Edges electric more prominent, and a heavier backing track). It sounded so much stronger and I couldn't understand why they went back to the way they'd played it before, Really lacked passion imo.

in the early part of the third leg, they played it full band, with Edge and Bono both on guitars. They did it throughout a bit on the second leg in Europe too, Milan with the orchestra springs to mind immediately. Terry Lawless on piano rather than Edge as well.

Totally agree, this was by far the best live version -- and I saw all three versions.

An amazing song. I always felt the performance of this song on Conan was a real gem as well. Wish it was up on youtube. Full electric version, and an orchestra, if I recall, though I havent seen it in years, so I could be wrong.

I have really enjoyed all the different angles on this thread and especially finding such powerful live versions that i would never have known about had i not been made aware of them on here.

i guess to state the almost embarrassingly obvious (to folk on this forum) the most gut feeling i get from this is song (and their other great songs) is that it is so HUMAN, HEARTFELT AND touches me INSTINTIVELY AND DIRECTLY. I feel this is at the heart of u2 songs and it seems for others.

i love some of their dense lyrics and imagery but it is when they overthink things or belabour and overextend a good idea then i feel they drift from all they can be. Thankfully, for me they have done this remarkably little considering how long they have been doing this, Love this band.

I love this song.
Edge said in one interview that he started to cry when he heard Bono's lyrics.It was originally written about Edge's daughter and B's goddaughter Holly. Later they made the lyrics less personal and more universal about girls growing up too soon,hence the sexual reference.

Good song with the potential to be great.

Unfortunately the album mix was flawed, although the subtlety was nice. THen they completely over-corrected for the single version and piled on so much schlock it's no better.

An amazing song. I always felt the performance of this song on Conan was a real gem as well. Wish it was up on youtube. Full electric version, and an orchestra, if I recall, though I havent seen it in years, so I could be wrong.

:up:

I love this song.
Later they made the lyrics less personal and more universal about girls growing up too soon,hence the sexual reference.

uh i hope not because that would be creepy and frightening :huh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom