Ordinary Love Discussion (Part 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If this was the very last performance of 'Ordinary Love', I'm sure we'll never get to hear the live performance of the studio version. But then again, Bono lies.

I thought the performance was really good. Fallon may have been a bit better, but I think a similar performance would've been out of place. I liked the arrangement better this time, thought Bono was actually VERY reserved relative to his usual self, and other than a couple of tiny miscues here and there, thought it was well done.

No need to be so negative, I thought it was easily the best performance of the Oscar nominees, too:up:

I thought the performance was really good. Fallon may have been a bit better, but I think a similar performance would've been out of place. I liked the arrangement better this time, thought Bono was actually VERY reserved relative to his usual self, and other than a couple of tiny miscues here and there, thought it was well done.

No need to be so negative, I thought it was easily the best performance of the Oscar nominees, too:up:

I agree with the possible exception that I didn't think Fallon's performance was better - they seemed equal. And given that they only had 2 minutes to do this song with no time for any set-up or build-up, I liked it. :applaud:

Too bad the Disney machine once again got the award. So often, crap songs win if they are in a Disney movie. I'd rather have seen "Happy" win than that cliche-filled disaster written by an 11-year old masquerading as an adult.

Nice performance tonight. And very positive reactions around the interwebs. Having heard these two performances, I think I actually prefer OL to Invisible now.

Performance was fine, but is it just me or were they, Bono in particular, insanely nervous?

I also like the Fallon version better, but I overall like the intimacy of the setting from the Academy Awards. It might be an indication for what's to expect from the upcoming tour.

Apart from that, I didn't watch the Oscars, I just got up to watch Ordinary Love and read about U2 losing to Frozen, what a shame, but I guess it had to be expected. It's just sad to see a band made of flesh and blood losing against an animated character.

Performance was fine, but is it just me or were they, Bono in particular, insanely nervous?

I also like the Fallon version better, but I overall like the intimacy of the setting from the Academy Awards. It might be an indication for what's to expect from the upcoming tour.

Apart from that, I didn't watch the Oscars, I just got up to watch Ordinary Love and read about U2 losing to Frozen, what a shame, but I guess it had to be expected. It's just sad to see a band made of flesh and blood losing against an animated character.

I didnt think bono looked nervous at all i thought he sounded and looked fantastic.

If you want to see bono nervous watch the begining of glastonbury now thats bono nervous,this was a walk in the park!

I thought he did.

Still, great performance, very minimalistic, not what everyone would expect from a band like U2.

Steve Lillywhite is full of praise on this Twitter:

Steve Lillywhite CBE ‏@Sillywhite

U2 just took that song and did it 1000000 times better than the record.
Öffnen

Steve Lillywhite CBE ‏@Sillywhite

Bono is such a fucking great singer !!

I liked the performance, Bono was clearly moved and maybe nervous, but it's normal.

I'd have preferred to hear it full band anyway. Especially Edge sounded less present than on Fallon, it was more about Bono taking the scene, both visually and vocally. Cool though they believe in an acoustic rendition of it. Don't know if we'll hear it again, who knows.

Anti-"dissident/Che Guevara" users coming in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... Go!

Dude, get over it. The ''dissident'' statement is so lame. I'm not an Ordinary Love fan too and I made it clear some time ago, but you keep crying about being threated as a dissident. It's pathetic at this point.

Ordinary Love now #8 on the U.S. iTunes chart. I expected a bounce but nothing this big. Very impressive. Will be interesting to see if the song starts getting more radio play as well.

Ordinary Love now #8 on the U.S. iTunes chart. I expected a bounce but nothing this big. Very impressive. Will be interesting to see if the song starts getting more radio play as well.

Unless i am mistaken this is the highest position for a U2 song since the launch of us itunes.

Unless i am mistaken this is the highest position for a U2 song since the launch of us itunes.

You might just be right. This iTunes position should also carry it to a higher spot on the Billboard Hot 100 this week as well.

What did vertigo get to?

Vertigo went to #1 at the launch of us itunes, but the impact of the itunes chart at 2004 was much less significant than today (although had the digital sales of vertigo been counted, it would have secured u2 a top 10 place at Hot 100). 5 years later GOYB made it up to #12 or #13.

I like Ordinary Love but I thought this performance was too repetitive towards the end. Would've liked them to explode into full band mode at the 2nd chorus and do the guitar solo.

I also like the Fallon version better, but I overall like the intimacy of the setting from the Academy Awards.

I did think they were nervous, or maybe rather they looked like they really needed each other. The magic about the Fallon performance was that they were so in tune with each other, and that intimacy got surprisingly extended to the audience. It was kind of a "we still love each other/we still have it!!!" kind of moment. And last night they tried to recreate that feeling on a much bigger, higher stakes stage, really needed that comfort, and maybe didn't quite make it soar.

It was no mistake that they forsook the full kit, "full band" format to stand within inches of each other. Notice how all three recent performances involved the band practically standing on top of each other? I think this little run is all about re-establishing themselves as a band to each other more than to everyone else.

I like Ordinary Love but I thought this performance was too repetitive towards the end. Would've liked them to explode into full band mode at the 2nd chorus and do the guitar solo.

That's what I thought, too. It started out great but became a bit redundant, though at the same time a little bit messy towards the end. And you could also tell the amount of energy it cost Bono to sing like that, you can clearly hear his voice cracking. Singing like that must really be a hell of a job for him.

Not quite tracking with this post. They didn't look nervous to me. Just trying to adjust to a unique environment. That said, how would the Oscars have any bearing whatsoever on the upcoming tour? And why does it matter that best song was attached to an animated feature? Are you suggesting that Scooby Doo wrote the song?

Not quite tracking with this post. They didn't look nervous to me. Just trying to adjust to a unique environment. That said, how would the Oscars have any bearing whatsoever on the upcoming tour? And why does it matter that best song was attached to an animated feature? Are you suggesting that Scooby Doo wrote the song?

I L'O'L'd

It's #11 on Amazon as well.

Are people sure Vertigo didn't go higher than #8 on iTunes? Its sold over 500,000 digital copies.

Back
Top Bottom