Ordinary Love Discussion (Part 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finally just heard the newer version of Ordinary Love and :ohmy: I was surprised how much more I like it than the first version. The "Are we tough enough" chorus is so much better where it is at the end now. That was one of the biggest problems I have with the first version, that chorus sounds horribly jarring and out of place, even a bit sour, where it was crammed into the middle of the song before. This version so much better. :up:

The more I listen to the new version, the more I miss the lyrics they've taken out. Without them, the song just isn't the same for me, although I like the new rhythm and the ending. Still prefer the original, but the remix is cool.

The NME gave the song a really good small review saying its more or less the best thing U2 have done since Pop

NME dont praise U2 much so it must be good :)

NME are awful full stop so many of their opinions shouldn't be taken with very much.

But the coldplay track fits perfectly into the hunger games ending which is what it supoest to do, like ordianry love fits perfectly onto the mandela trailer.

People forget these are soundtracks for movies. They are made and written with the movie in mind. Sometimes they only work with the movie and not on there own.

They arent supoest to be stand out killer radio tracks there made to fit a movie!

I'm not forgetting, Atlas is just a tepid song during the credits or otherwise and Lana Del Ray is a terrible "musician" (not to mention that movie is a disgrace). Honestly though, as dumb as the Oscars are, this award, given to celebrities that pen a track for the end credits or composers who add a track to an adaptation of a musical for the sole purpose of courting this award is about as dumb as it gets. Ryan Bingham's "The Weary Kind" is just about the only song I can remember winning that had any impact on the film itself in recent years, as it was integral to the story of Crazy Heart.

Mostly it's just a shortcut on musicians' attempts at EGOT.

just saw the movie and the song doesn't fade of like the version on the soundtrack/video.

My Movie - YouTube

I know Bono's falsetto has been discussed, but it's worth mentioning that 3:03 is not the sound of a failing falsetto or a cringe-worthy falsetto (Crazy Tonight), or anything of the sort...it sounds fucking great, and bodes well for the new album :yes:

I know Bono's falsetto has been discussed, but it's worth mentioning that 3:03 is not the sound of a failing falsetto or a cringe-worthy falsetto (Crazy Tonight), or anything of the sort...it sounds fucking great, and bodes well for the new album :yes:

It does sound great there. I don't think we have to worry about Bono's vocals on the new album.

Besides the lyrics and the poprock-guitar that comes in 2:23 to 2:28 I think the song is realy great.
The song has an floating atmosphere that I havent heard on an album since pop.

Bono's voice does sound great. I just wish his lyrics deserved that kind of delivery. I'm done with the clumsy metaphors and oooh oooh ooohs.

Wow I just discovered the Paul Epworth version of Ordinary Love this morning and I think it's superior to the original version. I recall someone in U2's camp saying the 'movie version' of the song would not be on the new album. I wonder if this one could be.

Wow I just discovered the Paul Epworth version of Ordinary Love this morning and I think it's superior to the original version. I recall someone in U2's camp saying the 'movie version' of the song would not be on the new album. I wonder if this one could be.

:up:

Still can't get into the remix. The song has not been played on the radio much now, but it's mostly christmas music and end of the year charts anyway, so we'll see how well it went if it still gets played after New Year's.

I prefer the remix version of the song. The original version is too much edited and the faded ending is not very professional i.m.o. .

It isn't very professional sounding. It doesn't start early enough and cuts out almost immediately. Sounds like it was edited on some guy's laptop at the last minute.

Back
Top Bottom