Opening Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think NLOTH would be better for the beginning. Save the best for later I say...

I dont see Magnificent as an opener. I would say No Line On The Horizon but its almost too predictable (although I think it would make a great opener). Boots would also be pretty predictable. Its hard to say at this point obviously. I'm sure they already have something in mind but I certainly would not use any of the promo shows as a reference for what the tour setlist will be like.

Here is my vote for show closer. I said this the last two tours. Close with Streets, go out on the ultimate high note. I just hope they dont close with Cedars Of Lebanon. I think I might doze off with the non diehards! ;)

No matter how predictable it is, I think they'll go with Boots. They'd probably like to open show with some rocking song. NLOTH is not that "bombastic" for an opener imo.

I think it could be like ZooTV where they do 6 or 8 new songs in a row right at the beginning. Like, if they opened with NLOTH --> Boots --> Magnificent --> Stand Up Comedy --> Crazy Tonight --> Moment of Surrender, and then go into Pride or COBL or something.

NLOTH should be the concert opener me thinks, Magnificent should > into Streets. Boots should come second after NLOTH, and maybe Crazy can go third.

Nothing will be better than last tour when they opened with City of Blinding Lights :drool:

FEZ starts, then GOYB, Bono does the Zoo Station dance, then leads into Zoo Station for track # 2, then The Fly for Track #3, then EBTTRT, then Stand Up Comedy and so on.....i feel MOS leads into TTTYAATW well too

Do they have to open with a new one? I'm just playing Devil's advocate but I'd argue Zoo Station remains their ultimate opening song. If they did want to open with a new one it should be the title track, followed by Get On Your Boots and Even Better Than The Real Thing. Magnificent's place is towards the end of the main set.

Nothing will be better than last tour when they opened with City of Blinding Lights :drool:

Yah unfortunately I went on a night when they opened with LAPOE.Cool song but horrible opener in my opinion.Plus I was upset because I went to a second show and they played Zoo Station on the first show not my show.:sad:

Do you guys think they will tow with the idea of maybe having more than one song open like they did with Vertigo tour?Im kind of thinking this will be more like Popmart or Zoo TV and open with the same song everytime.

I'd love to see Magnificent as the opener.
But the best thing was if MOFO and Lemon followed. I mean, Magnificent can have some lyrical links to these songs (in my point of view, it may not be Bono's intention). Plus, all the the three have similar tempos. It'd be great to see a Magnificent -> MOFO -> Lemon opening trio with the songs instrumentally linked - maybe in the drums/percurssion section.

How about if they opened with "Elvis Presley and America"?:rockon:...................:D

Naaaah, I think NLOH is just fine. It might not have a dance beat or make you want to jump but its pretty intense. After the song is finished I can imagine all lights once again turn off, including the stage lights, and then BOOM! Start with Boots.

I agree with Dan. UC would be an awesome, but somewhat unorthodox, opener. NLOTH would be awesome, too, though.

As for Magnificent, I'd like to see it played with Streets and COBL. They could make an awesome trio.

Magnificant, streets and COBL is my call too. What an incredible middle part of the show. No line would be my guess for the opener. Maybe something unorthodox..I will Follow, NLOTH Get on Your Boots, who knows.....

Id bet everything I own (not much) that Magnificent will open the show, maybe not all, but most. Its got the perfect guitar rift intro, similar in a way to COBL. If Magnificent doesn't open, i'll peel my arse and sit in a bucket of salt!! :doh::doh:

One thing I hope they dont play is STYCMIOYO. Bonos voice sounds in pretty good shape, but he just cannot sing this song live i.m.o. I cringe when I listen to the Chicago DVD.

The title track will probably be the opener. Here's hoping that Fez-Being Born will open the encore (although highly doubtful).

I have thought this too -- I think it would be great to start the first encore with Fez-Being Born.

Probably a blinding statemetn of the obvious, but NLOTH calls for back catalog nugget or two from AB and ZooRopa.

I go for Fez - Being Born.

Also decided no to check the setlists when the actual tour would start. Wanna come to my best seats on San Siro the hot night of 7th July, the lights will go down and ...... ufff, feel the shivering already now...

4 months to go

They should open with a song that will let them perform as they did with where the streets have no name,mofo, and particularly zoo station. something stupendously theatrical and goose-bumpy. I can't see them topping the silhoutte dancing of zoo tv. nothing will or can match that...but what song can they try to use to top it? magnificent? unknown caller?

I don't know about Fez-Being Born with the stage design. If it were to be the opener, it would have to be accompanied with a very slow, arching sunrise theme, which I don't think really suits the 360 stage. And it definitely doesn't go with the Boots theme.

I think Unknown Caller has a good shot, seeing how well it opened Linear. Magnificent also works well, and maybe also NLOTH 1 or 2. Maybe even Boots (with Let Me in the Sound intro).

I hope the whole stadium goes dark, and 10 seconds later there is a big scream: Lemooooooooooon, from bono. And then lemon opens the show.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom