Opening Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I stand extremely corrected.

Still, my point about them not playing it on the promo tour stands. Magnificent has such a great slow build-up at the beginning, and they could do something awesome w/ the lighting when it really "takes off," to send the crowd into a frenzy.

i agree with you that Magnificent would make a good opener. it would be very similar to COBL. I think its possible, but i would bet on it opening one of the encores. That rehearsal performance of NLOTH is great, and I think it would be a better opener.

don't read too much into the not playing it on the promo tour, they are going to play it. it will be a great live song, and with how many songs that are not as immediate (like mos, cedars, uc, and was) they will play NLOTH live.

I haven't seen this thought brought up but allow me...on Linear, which was essentially a set list chosen to map the story of the album, they opened with Unknown Caller. :hmm:

With the slowness to it's beginning and it being a mostly Edge song (he also said in the BBC interview that it was his fave from the new album) I could see UC being a high quality opener, maybe with a baby chanting "Sunshine, Sunshine" similar to the Zoo Station encore openers.

How can people say that Magnificent is more similar to COBL as an opener more so than NLOTH? That video of NLOTH has that great palm muted intro on the first verse and then they blast into the second verse. Sorry, but Magnificent is definately a song that would be the third or fourth song in the set. It has too short of an intro and I don't see it getting the audience as excited as they would when hearing that intro to NLOTH.

I'm not sure, unless they revamp NLOTH, it's not an opener, maybe #2 depending on the opener. In any case, Magnificent, regardless as magnificent as it is as a potential 2nd wind or encore "should" be the opener, it just resonates as an opener, nice build up and sets a nice tone. I'd be very surprised if they don't open with this unless they choose an older song, which should be out of the question. (ALWAYS open with a new song)

Magnificent and/or No Line On The Horizon are probably going to be selected as openers by the band, but I'd actually prefer it if U2 opted to open with an older song. Just something a little different.

Maybe a Sunday Bloody Sunday or a Pride or a Mofo.... just something a little different.

I want this tour to not be for "casual fans", so I'd rather U2 mix it up a bit and concentrate on producing a tour that compliments the album. Hard to do when you're U2 but we can only hope.

I'm not sure, unless they revamp NLOTH, it's not an opener, maybe #2 depending on the opener.
Did you watch the video? The intro is in a slightly different arrangement. It doesn't just explode at the beginning like on the album.

Does anyone think they'll open with Boots? To me it's like this album's 'Vertigo.' They've been opening shows with a rocking tune (a la Elevation, Vertigo, then COBL)....Who knows? I love NLOTH and UC and personally wouldn't mind if shows were opened with them, but to me they don't have the electricity to open a show...

I think they will open with Boots or No Line, but I think they'll need some kind of theme music (like Pop-Muzik) while they're walking to the stage to get the crowd hyped/revved up!

I think it will be FEZ as they are gathering which will blend into Magnificent

Noone has given any thought to Cedars opening the show.

It'd work kind of like (but better than) the ocean opening on the Boy tour.

House lights down, then the synth comes on, edge comes in, and Larry fires up. It'd be a sweet way to start.

It could run into just about any song too. While B sings gonne alst with you longer than your friends, Edge changes guitars and then Magnificent fires up on the beat Bono finishes.

Noone has given any thought to Cedars opening the show.

It'd work kind of like (but better than) the ocean opening on the Boy tour.

House lights down, then the synth comes on, edge comes in, and Larry fires up. It'd be a sweet way to start.

It could run into just about any song too. While B sings gonne alst with you longer than your friends, Edge changes guitars and then Magnificent fires up on the beat Bono finishes.

i love it! reminds me of when "To Shiela" was opening up Pumpkins shows on their "Adore Tour". Edge could even add some kind of extended guitar solo to it.

good thinking!

Zoo Station will always be the greatest opener to any Rock Concert ever!

For the New tour... I'd say Breathe would be best... it has the best buildup intro to any of the songs and its kickass with the way they have played it live so far.

Magnificent intro synth loops are not so great and The Edge would have to do something completly different to what he has tried thus far as the band kicks in.... once they sort that issue i'm sure magnificent could be a decent opener

COBL will be hard to top, it was such a magical moment.

I'm really excited about which one they'll chose, but it will be a new song.

yea. fez would be great. and during the fez part, bono yells the let me in the sound part. as he is walking on stage. that would be great.

I agree that Fez - Being Born would be the best opener, Fez can play over the speakers as they walk on and then they rip into being born. It's not exactly a singalong tune but neither was Mofo and that was a great opener.

After that it would probably be Boots and either NLOTH or Breath. The more I think of it, they've got so many great new songs to play! And I'm going overseas to see them in Paris so will have no idea what to expect with the set-list for the first time

Lady With The Spinning Head to debut as an opener! Would go crazy.......and would lead into something like Magnifico very sweetly...

I'll tell you what - if they open with Fez-Being born, I'll sell my second night ticket. What a horrible idea for an opening song, I'm sorry!! :no:

i would be willing to bet that fez-being born will never see the light of day live. maybe over the fez over the pa at the beginning, but not the band playing it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom