on Danger Mouse's production

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is interesting. In the same way that Santa Claus is interesting.

Rock bands just don't dominate the cultural imagination the way they have done in the past, say in the grunge era and prior. Although rock still great and people like it, most of the excitement, innovation and enthusiasm is around hip hop and pop. This is the 'relevancy' that U2 is always thinking of; they want to be the top of the pack, period. They want to totally dominate like they have in the past, which means they're competing directly with Jay-Z and Lady Gaga, not just other bands. They've expressed uncertainty about whether a rock band can still be "relevant" (in the way that they want to be) many times. So I do think there's a certain ambivalence about their sound, Edge's in particular. It's an essential part of their success, but they do wonder they can go further with it- if people need another U2 record, as Bono has said. Juxtaposing "lots of guitar" and "fresh" is a new way of framing it, but it's one of the questions they've been working with for quite a long time.

U2's producers always contribute a lot to the albums, so it would make sense for Danger Mouse to bring in loops, keyboard parts, and so on. I think this album will sound more like Modern Guilt or TGTB&TQ than his other projects. If he can capture the sound of the band as well as he did with the latter, we'll be in for a treat, regardless of how strong the songs are.

Well, how *does* Danger Mouse usually work as a producer ? Does he bring loops/samples/ideas a la Eno, play along in the studio like, say, Lanois, or just listen to the music and make suggestions (ie like Rick Rubin is said to work) ?

Danger Mouse very much brings his own unique element to production, and yes, he normally contributes to the records himself...

Overall, judging a producer by how they work with U2 is incredibly unfair to the producer.

Chris Thomas could deal with a drug addicted, bickering John and Paul, but couldn't figure out U2.

Anyone who finishes a record with them deserves a Nobel prize

Well, how *does* Danger Mouse usually work as a producer ? Does he bring loops/samples/ideas a la Eno, play along in the studio like, say, Lanois, or just listen to the music and make suggestions (ie like Rick Rubin is said to work) ?

He contributes musical ideas, but most importantly (for U2 these days), he's a stern judge of lyrics. He really made Albarn work on TGTBTQ. Hopefully he'll be as tough on Bono because his lyrics have been weak for a long time now.

Ever listened to Demon Days? You may not like it but calling it boring is way off the mark.

Danger Mouse's track record = absolutely boring stuff in my opinion. I think he needs U2 more than U2 needs him.

Ever listened to Demon Days? You may not like it but calling it boring is way off the mark.

i reckon it depends on the chemistry and who he's working with... i find the Black Keys a bit of a snooze fest myself, but i love Gnarls Barkley and The Good the Bad and the Queen, and Demon Days is one of my all-time fave albums...

not even george martin c. 1966 could save the black keys from being the most boring band on the planet.

danger mouse, like U2, is at his best when making dark, mildly psychedelic music. it could be a great pairing.

Dark U2 = AMAZING! I'm confident we will be in for a real treat this time! A litle less popy and a little more dark would be awesome. I also hope they have more songs in line with Soon. I find that song pure awesome!

I'm thinking that, having listened to a lot of Danger Mouse's previous work, the album will have an Achtung Baby-esque feeling too it. Not necessarily in terms of sound but in terms of the adventure and anxiety of it and the scope of it.

Also, I think, if you listen to his stuff, that a lot of the Unforgettable Fire material will work on the tour.

I'm expecting something that sounds like early U2 if early U2 was written and produced in 2013.

Oooor I might also expect a radio friendly version of Pop.

So yea... I don't know what to expect. But I do. So yea.

Something radio friendly and catchy, but fresh sounding and not mailed in at the same time.

I also expect The Edge to protect this house.

This is a reasonable and likely accurate expectation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom