Official NLOTH Tracklisting (From U2.com)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exactly, people's memories are like that of a goldfish in here...

What we have here is Mercy symdrom, people heard a prov song title, U2 (possibly) rename it to fit the theme a little better, then people automatically like the old title better just because it has become "discarded",

I got a message from Axver late yesterday to say this had become official.

I'd love to be a part of this thread but 57 pages?!?! It's going to be hard to get into the swing of the album here in this forum when the album actually hits because there's going to be too many replies, and for those of us who can't be on here all day that sucks a bit :(

But now for the tracklisting... I liked Every Breaking Wave as a title, I really like Stand Up Comedy, Crazy Tonight could have stayed as such, Fez - Being Born? :|

I know.. I feel you. I left for 3 hours today and there were like 7 new threads a million pages long. :doh:

These titles are TERRIBLE!

Here's some suggestions for the next album:

Dusseldorf
Pasties
Showtime!
R U The 1 4 Me ?
Mortadella
The Matrix
Hairbrush
Wallet
Sleeping Beauty
What I Found In The Toilet This Morning
Cain + Abel = Cable

Dear god, the past couple of days... :faint:

Everyday I came back there was always something big brewing. Aw, only Interference could to this. :hug: :lol:

To BVS and everyone else.

Please report the duplicate threads so that the mods can take care of them more efficiently instead of just posting snippy remarks in them.

snippy comments?

wow....is that what they've been doing? All this time I thought they were enlightening us with their vast unending wealth of knowledge . Hmmmmm...... :wink: good call :up:

I don't know if anyone has said this, but I'm pumped that GOYB is way down the tracklist...

Hopefully that bodes well for the other songs on the album. If U2 thinks that the lead single can afford to be pushed down the list that far they obviously have confidence that NLOTH, Magnificent, MOS, and Unknown Caller can carry the top end... hopefully a lot like the Achtung Sisters (Zoo, EBTTRT, One, and UTEOTW) carried that album and left the Fly and Mysterious Ways to open the second half.

I don't know if anyone has said this, but I'm pumped that GOYB is way down the tracklist...

Hopefully that bodes well for the other songs on the album. If U2 thinks that the lead single can afford to be pushed down the list that far they obviously have confidence that NLOTH, Magnificent, MOS, and Unknown Caller can carry the top end... hopefully a lot like the Achtung Sisters (Zoo, EBTTRT, One, and UTEOTW) carried that album and left the Fly and Mysterious Ways to open the second half.

:up:

you know what excites me? the fact that a song like "Breathe" which is getting a lot of attention, and awesome reviews is so far down on the track list. This almost guarantees that their won't be a complete drop off on the second half of this album like the last two records.

you know what excites me? the fact that a song like "Breathe" which is getting a lot of attention, and awesome reviews is so far down on the track list. This almost guarantees that their won't be a complete drop off on the second half of this album like the last two records.

Maybe the first 5 songs are awful. :wink:

j/k

I'm sure if AB, Zooropa or Pop would come out now, people would also bitch about how terrible those song titles are. But today it's sacrosanct to critisize U2's choice of song titles back than. Instead, the titles of new songs we haven't even heard yet are critisized. I guess some people here are looking so hard to find something to whine about, and if it's only a simple word in one of U2's new songs.

I'm sure if AB, Zooropa or Pop would come out now, people would also bitch about how terrible those song titles are. But today it's sacrosanct to critisize U2's choice of song titles back than. Instead, the titles of new songs we haven't even heard yet are critisized. I guess some people here are looking so hard to find something to whine about, and if it's only a simple word in one of U2's new songs.

right? A Sort Of Homecoming? what, are they writing music about high school dances now? :wink:

Although, I think U2 technically tried to do this for Bomb as well. They freely acknowledge that the first half of ATYCLB is gold and it drops off a bit, so that's what led them to put OOTS right toward the end of HTDAAB. They thought that song had a little more power than it ended up having I think. I'm actually not entirely sure that this won't happen again with Breathe. I know that Eno has hyped the living shit out of that song now, but it also has a chorus that has more HTDAAB feeling than any of the songs on HTDAAB. I know you haven't listened to the beach clips, but you'll see what I'm talking about as soon as you hear it. However, the song also has the most scintillating Bono verse ever (more so than Vertigo or GOYB or Bullet) and an unbelievable outro featuring that great bass line from Adam (from the U2.com video) and some doom and gloom spacey atmospherics.

Also, if you look at the poll for which song you think will be your favorite--that's basically proof that Breathe didn't knock the beach clip listeners over to the same level as Magnificent and Unknown Caller (actually just noticed that UC is behind Breathe; oops!). I realize that Breathe probably has a new mix and all, but I'm sure the chorus is the same (and I realize that this chorus is why some people are super in love with the song--but it's that same type of immediate, Miracle Drug love in my opinion).

Has anyone considered that maybe the song sucked?

Available evidence suggests otherwise. However, it could have become either of the mystery songs (Fez, White as Snow), or U2 could have plans to finish it off later and put it on another album/EP in the near future. It just might not have "fit" with the rest of NLOTH's songs...or it was too close to another song/songs in tone/sound/atmosphere.

This almost guarantees that their won't be a complete drop off on the second half of this album like the last two records.

I would tend to disagree with this statement. Again, each of us have our own opinion

The last two albums had some excellent songs to close with. Beginning with the second half of each:

ATYCLB
Wild Honey
New York

Two songs peppered in that keep the vibe moving. NY being probably one of the songs I most look forward to when listening.

HTDAAB
A Man and A Woman
Crumbs
OOTS
Yahweh

All excellent songs. OOTS probably one of my personal favorites.

This album's 2nd side most likely beginning with GOYB looks very promising and I think the band always tends to close with a song that for some may take a bit getting used to but in my opinion may be more personal songs to Bono, Edge, Larry or Adam. . . and may fall into the category of hidden gems as mentioned by David Fanning (being discussed in the other thread).

Good examples:

Wake Up Dead Man
Grace
Yahweh
The Wanderer
MLK
Love is Blindness

I could list them all but I think you get the picture. Without doing the research on Interference, I'd be really surprised if there already wasn't a discussion at some point in time on Closing Songs (or a commentary written on this premise).

Available evidence suggests otherwise. However, it could have become either of the mystery songs (Fez, White as Snow),

I tend to agree with this line of thought. It was mentioned in Q and Rolling Stone and both had great things to say about this song IMHO. This leads me to believe it is one of the 2 Bram mentioned -I'm leaning towards Fez.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
This almost guarantees that their won't be a complete drop off on the second half of this album like the last two records.

Come to think of it - weern't the singles from ATYCLB in the exact same order that they were in on the album?

Beautiful Day
Stuck in a Moment
Elevation
Walk On

How weird that they would choose to do that.

Maybe the first 5 songs are awful. :wink:

j/k

that would be a bitch, now wouldn't it. :lol:

Although, I think U2 technically tried to do this for Bomb as well. They freely acknowledge that the first half of ATYCLB is gold and it drops off a bit, so that's what led them to put OOTS right toward the end of HTDAAB. They thought that song had a little more power than it ended up having I think. I'm actually not entirely sure that this won't happen again with Breathe. I know that Eno has hyped the living shit out of that song now, but it also has a chorus that has more HTDAAB feeling than any of the songs on HTDAAB. I know you haven't listened to the beach clips, but you'll see what I'm talking about as soon as you hear it. However, the song also has the most scintillating Bono verse ever (more so than Vertigo or GOYB or Bullet) and an unbelievable outro featuring that great bass line from Adam (from the U2.com video) and some doom and gloom spacey atmospherics.

Also, if you look at the poll for which song you think will be your favorite--that's basically proof that Breathe didn't knock the beach clip listeners over to the same level as Magnificent and Unknown Caller. I realize that Breathe probably has a new mix and all, but I'm sure the chorus is the same (and I realize that this chorus is why some people are super in love with the song--but it's that same type of immediate, Miracle Drug love in my opinion).

I didn't listen to any clips; beach or HQ...so I wouldn't know, but I would imagine that its tough to determine the power of a song with a shitty quality clip. I tried to do that with the HTDAAB leaks and failed. I thought Miracle Drug was the greatest song the band had ever written...:lol: boy was I wrong. So we'll see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom