Official Cricket 12/13 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm disappointed the Stars just lost, but it does mean we got to see Eddie McGuire grumpy, which is always cause for celebration.

Plus, as a long-suffering rugby fan of the Wellington Hurricanes, it's cool to see a team called the Hurricanes make the final of something! :lol:

Holy shit what about tonight's semi! Simmons scored 112 for Perth to propel them to 193... then down came the rain. If play didn't resume by 10:36pm, the Sixers would go through to the grand final since they finished higher in the regular season. Guess when play resumed? 10:35. Sydney needed a thoroughly doable 54 off 5 overs, and looked like they might do it as long as Maddinson was at the crease, but the bowling was excellent, Maddinson got run-out, and in the end Brett Lee couldn't hit a six off the final ball.

Perth vs Hobart in the final. Carn the Hurricanes! For only the second time in my entire life I get to support a team called the Hurricanes in the grand final of something. :lol:

McCullum out 224 off 307; New Zealand dismissed for 503. Pretty impressive. India immediately slump to 3/10 in reply.

Though I wouldn't call this a New Zealand resurgence just yet, especially as the first innings performance was largely the work of just two men. We're the kind of inconsistent team who'll somehow slump to all out for 40 in the second innings and lose the Test.

And how about Boult taking 2/2 in the very first over of the innings - which was also his very first over after returning from injury!

Sangakkara becomes only the second player in history to hit a triple century and a century in the same Test. Got 319 and 105 against Bangladesh. Graham Gooch got 333 and 123 off 113 against India in 1990. Phenomenal

No Adelaide Strikers players made the public-voted Big Bash all-stars team. Even Thunder players made it! Australia says "hahaha fuck Adelaide". :lol:

Bailey was going pretty well. I keep hoping Hobart will find something, given the way they chased down an epic Brisbane total earlier this season, but it's getting increasingly unlikely.

Not that you'd appreciate it if it did happen, Cobbler, given it's pretty clear you just hate T20 anyway.

Perth's batting was pretty damn entertaining, especially Marsh the Younger's cameo at the end. I think if I was there I wouldn't be complaining about the match at all.

I know it's grating, but at least this is the last you'll hear me complaining about it for a while.

I'd love the Hurricanes to get up and win but they're no chance. But totally agree about the Scorchers' innings, that was an awesome finish. Mitch Marsh was amazing.

That's it, unless the Scorchers bowl an absurd and unprecedented amount of no balls, they've won. Well deserved after making and losing the grand final the previous two seasons.

Not sure what you have against it, Cobbler. The batting's obviously blistering, and the bowling's really come on - some crucial overs tonight have shaped the contest. You just seem to have a habit of catching games that have, at the end of it, seemed a little one-sided (not that you have a jot of an issue with this in Tests, so why the double standard?). What about Hobart's epic chase to beat Brisbane earlier this season, or the Scorchers/Sixers game that went to a super over, the tension of the Scorchers/Sixers replay in the semi, or any of a number of ridiculously close, tense games?

Look at how much that means to Hoggy! Can't believe he's 43. Feels like he's going to keep playing forever.

Man, if you think this is just a mindless slog, look at the Scorchers right now. That's some real feeling right there. I was totally going for Hobart, but I'm used to watching teams called the Hurricanes lose (sigh Wellington SIGH), and the Scorchers really earned it tonight.

Still, the Big Bash needs to sort out its finals format, because it's obvious the Scorchers should've played the Stars at some point in the finals, as the Stars were by far the superior team of the regular season. A more sophisicated finals system is definitely required in future.

Those games you mention (which yes, I've made a habit of missing) are great. I enjoy T20 when for example both sides make 180. But far too many games end up like tonight - the team batting first makes whatever score, the side batting second loses a couple of early wickets and can't get a run on and by less than halfway through their innings you know, barring a miracle, it's going to peter out to an easy win for the side that won the toss. The batting is blistering at times, Mitch Marsh tonight for example. But the Hurricane's innings was full of along-the-ground cut shots for one or two, sweeps for one of two. In Test cricket that's all part of parcel of the beauty of it, but in a hyper game like T20 it's just boring. The bowling has come on, but again, because the game is so naturally weighted towards batsmen, I don't personally find any enjoyment whatsoever in the bowling. You don't get bowlers bowling in the same areas to build up pressure and then bowl a ripping wicket-taking ball. You get bowlers bowling full bungers, wide deliveries, yorkers, just desperately trying to stem the flow of runs right from the very start. The vast majority of wickets in T20 come about because the batsmen are trying to score runs, not because the bowlers have built up the pressure and bowled unplayable balls. I'm not doubting that the Scorchers bowled well tonight, they certainly did, but I derive absolutely no enjoyment whatsoever from it.

I prefer Test matches that aren't one-sided myself, but there is still plenty of enjoyment to derive when Tests get like that - a quality batsman playing quality shots and making a big score, or a bowler dominating and looking like he can snare a wicket at any moment.

Look at how much that means to Hoggy! Can't believe he's 43. Feels like he's going to keep playing forever.

Not doubting this either.

How would you change the finals system? Has to stay a top four. The only thing I can think of would be

1 v 2 qualifying
3 v 4 elimination
winner 1 v 2 rests
loser 1 v 2 vs winner 3 v 4

I feel ya Cobbler...

20/20's most successful season to date in terms of ratings and attendances, but I do wonder whether it has the legs to maintain this appeal.

It wore out it's welcome with me a few years ago, partly because I struggled to engage with or extract any enjoyment out of the "Big Bash" League and also because I became numb to the parade of boundaries (on ovals where the rope is moved in 25 metres from the fence - to allow for the firework machines and cheerleaders of course) and cheap wickets (especially when there is often barely any premium attached to keeping it).

I'd been to a few of the early Victoria matches and some internationals mid-last decade and they we're entertaining and novel enough, but once the plastic leagues and champions leagues and international tournaments were created, it just became a bit too much and was saturating. All cricket must revolve around the IPL, which annoyed me.

If 20/20 (somehow) boosts appeal and appreciation for Test Cricket (or 50 over cricket) then i hope it is a promotional vehicle for the longer forms, rather than superseding it entirely. I have my doubts because many of the crowd at a Melbourne Greens vs Adelaide (an awful "contest" that was over in 28 overs) match that I went to last month didn't seem at all interested in what was happening on the field, and we're far more interested in Mexican waves, photos with the fireworks when they go off, and Get Lucky). The cricket felt like an afterthought.

We'll see where cricket is in ten years or so. Should be interesting.

Well to be fair pretty much every time I've ever been to the cricket the cricket itself has felt like an afterthought, T20s, ODIs or Tests.

That's still a 350+ lead, even if they get done for 100 they've still got a big chance if they bowl well.

India rolled for 202 with Wagner taking 4 and Southee and Boult 3 each. NZ are 7-78 in the second innings :lol:

What did I tell you.

WHAT DID I TELL YOU.

Goddamnit New Zealand you inconsistent sods! Hopefully that first innings was good enough.

As for the ol' T20...

But far too many games end up like tonight - the team batting first makes whatever score, the side batting second loses a couple of early wickets and can't get a run on and by less than halfway through their innings you know, barring a miracle, it's going to peter out to an easy win for the side that won the toss.

With very little modification, this could describe the last Ashes series though, so I don't see how it's a particular indictment of T20. In any form of the game, batting first is favourable.

The bowling has come on, but again, because the game is so naturally weighted towards batsmen, I don't personally find any enjoyment whatsoever in the bowling.

No? Because in some of the games I've watched, there has been some very impressive bowling, with some bowlers turning the screws immediately. Some great four-over spells have been bowled this tournament, and that's only going to get better. Look at Malinga for instance; most of the time he was unplayable. Every time he came on, you could pretty much tell the batsmen wanted to be anywhere else.

I prefer Test matches that aren't one-sided myself, but there is still plenty of enjoyment to derive when Tests get like that - a quality batsman playing quality shots and making a big score, or a bowler dominating and looking like he can snare a wicket at any moment.

I'd rather an one-sided T20 to a one-sided Test. The one-sided T20 is over in three hours. The one-sided Test is going to drag on for three days at least, and obviously right up to five. What a waste of time, especially when it's a lengthy series. The fact you're an Australian supporter has I think blinded you a tad to just how tedious that Ashes series became once it was clear England had nothing left in the tank. The miracle is that Test cricket has come out of it looking good, not awful. Remember that awful fucking India series a couple of summers ago? I'll take one-sided T20 over that flop of a Test series.

Test cricket when it's competitive is amazing, a true epic spectacle that no other sport can replicate. Test cricket when it's one-sided can sometimes be the worst form of cricket.

407 to win. McCullum just dropped Dhawan.

Per Cricinfo, no team's ever successfully chased 400 in a Test in New Zealand before. Bit of hope there. But my god, New Zealand, what the fuck was that second innings?

Imagine if Vlad were a New Zealand cricket fan! :lol: I feel like I could go and dig up some Vlad specials about the Crows and they'd apply rather well to the Black Caps...

Oh god this is painful, I think this Test is somehow slipping away from New Zealand.

Doesn't help that your frontline spinner is garbage. But yeah, it will be a disgrace if NZ lose this. As I said, they had the runs on the board, but India have got a good batting lineup and all the time in the world.

We should've made them follow on, but after what happened against the Windies in Dunedin I think the team's too wary to do that again.

I reckon Sodhi's got a fair bit of talent; he just lacks the precision. He should get it with time. Kid's young.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom