October 3, 2009 - Raleigh - North Carolina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My U2-360 Experience (Not written very well)

So I was bored, it's spring break here, and I was planning on writing a summary of my experience at U2's 360 gig here in North Carolina. So with the very least of my writing abilities here's

U2-360: A Night In Raleigh

It was a warm, sunny October day. October 3rd, 2009 to be exact. I woke up earlier than usual and was in anticipation of what awaited me later that day. U2 were in Raleigh. It seemed like it was forever before we ever left that day. I strictly remember lurking around on Interference waiting for my dad to get ready to head out. I had woken up at 10:00 that morning. I ate some cereal and then lurked a bit on Interference. I was so filled with excitement I could barely sit still. I was constantly walking around the room, back and forth between the kitchen and the den.
It was not until 2:00 PM that we left. A one hour drive to Raleigh began. Now let me say something real quick, my dad I’d say is one of the very reasons I even ever got into U2. I found one of the old Joshua Tree CD’s he had laying around one day and played it. The songs really blew me away. This was about 4 years ago and I was 12 at the time when I heard this record. I loved every bit of it and it was the highlight of that summer. I could be listening to Rap or Hip Hop but instead there I was listening to U2. In fact if it weren’t for U2 I wouldn’t have ever touched a guitar. So thank you guys! Now what’s this got to do with the concert? I wouldn’t be going if it weren’t for certain things.
We went early so we could hang out. We went to certain places like Guitar Center and Sam Ash and got a chance to just hang out a bit. It was nice. As soon as it was time, we left for Carter Finley Stadium. We took a road and there was nobody on it. Literally no one was around. It confused us cause there was supposed to be loads of traffic. We found a spot to park at. There were several fans around sitting and chatting. It was only about 5:30 that we got there and the stadium wasn’t going to open for another 30 mins or so. I got out of the car and immediately heard “In A Little While” being sound checked. The air was awesome and I’d never been to a U2 gig before so this was something special.
As soon as they allowed us to go in we got in line. While in line, blasting from other people’s cars, I heard “One”, “Bullet the Blue Sky”, and “God Pt. II”. Some other songs were being played but I forget which one’s they were. The anticipation to get to our seats was high. It took a while before we were up to get through the gate.
Once inside where all the concessions were I was amazed at how many U2 fans or listeners were just in crowds. I’d never experienced anything like it. My dad took me over to one of the t-shirt stands and asked if I wanted to get a few souvenirs? I ended up with a green 360 tour t shirt with the band on the front and a poster (it now hangs on my bedroom wall). We got some food and sat at our seats.
Once at my seat I got out my phone to post on Interference that I had arrived (kinda pointless I know LOL). It was around 7:00 that I had posted that. While waiting and while my dad was out at the concessions, a couple asked if I would take a photo of them for them. I said “Sure, why not?.” I took the photo and kind of laughed to myself. It was an awkward moment but I don’t mind doing such things for people.
I’ll stop babbling and finally cut to the part where Muse arrives on stage. The stadium got very dark. The only light I remember was from the (very beautiful) full moon and cell phones, mine included. The beginning of “Uprising” really got me and every other person in the stadium pumped. Now I didn’t know much Muse at the time, not as much as I do now anyway, but this night completely changed my mind about them. I loved “Uprising” and really enjoyed “Undisclosed Desires”. “Starlight” I’d say was done better in the studio but I still enjoyed it. Everyone clapped to the beat of “Starlight”. “Hysteria” was done really great! One of the best performances of “Hysteria” from what I’ve heard.
After Muse was a bathroom break and then finally, U2!!! I watched Dallas do all of Edge’s gear checks and soundchecks. Everytime he brought out a new guitar I screamed the name of it and the year (yes I am that obsessed with The Edge’s gear :O).
The stadium once again went completely dark. Larry’s drum solo introduction on “Breathe” had me filled with energy. Honestly one of the best performances of “Breathe” ever. Now U2 had been on Saturday Night Live the week before this show and on that show his voice sounded tired, so I was scared Bono’s voice was going to be shot. He certainly surprised me with an excellent vocal performance. They then proceeded to “Get On Your Boots”. I was not and have not been too thrilled about “Boots”. BUT I have to say that it certainly has picked itself off the ground live. It works much better live, especially with that “FFFFFF Future!” part at the beginning, an okay song with a good performance. Then came one of the songs I’d really wanted to hear live: “Mysterious Ways”. Everyone was into this one, waving and clapping their hands at Bono’s command. It was a highlight of the show for me, although I miss the version they did on Vertigo where Edge played the slide guitar solo and the whole thing was extended out. “Beautiful Day” was done exceptionally well. Bono doesn’t have that same tone in his voice as he did the previous two tours though, and I miss that. I have admit that I love the extended outro where Bono’s sings and it’s just Edge playing. Bono sang something about North Carolina (unfortunately I don’t remember exactly what) and there was a peaceful moment amongst the crowd. After “Beautiful Day” it was “No Line On the Horizon”. I had been wanting to hear this live for a long, long time. It was a highlight of the night and was done very well. It’s one of those songs that works so great live, like most of U2’s library. “Magnificent” and “Elevation” were next and were not bad, then came “In A Little While”. I loved the rendition they did that night, very beautifully done. Bono sang well, even if he flubbed a line. I remember Bono going “How does this go again?” and everyone laughing and enjoying it, a truly memorable part of the night. Following that was “New Year’s Day”, which I taped on my phone, “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”, and a beautiful snippet of “Stand By Me” where the big, full moon shone. Then Edge strummed the first chords of “Stuck In A Moment” on his Gibson J-200 Acoustic. It was one of the big highlights of the night for me. It was just a flat out beautiful performance that almost made me cry. Yes I admit that it did, especially when Edge sang. I held them back though. The other highlights were “Crazy Tonight (Remix)”, “Sunday Bloody Sunday”, “Walk On”, “Ultraviolet”, and “Moment of Surrender”. “Ultraviolet” about made me explode with excitement. I looooooved the way they played it. It is my favorite performance of it so far.
“Moment of Surrender” closed the night and I was very sad to leave, even with my ears buzzing a bit. My dad and I got a bit closer over the night. After seeing the show I knew what I wanted to do with my life and I continue to work hard at music. On the way back I remember my dad giving me a talk about if that’s what it was I want to do to try hard in school and giving me tips and advice. U2’s “One” played over the radio and the tears were in my eyes the second time that night. Something about the atmosphere made me do that. My dad and I haven’t really been very close so this was a emotional moment, at least for me. I will never forget the conversation that took place. It’s had an impact on me. U2 was all that was played on the way back. I will say that my life was changed that night and I felt God gave me a sign.

Me at the show.

0_IMAGE_076.jpg

God endorses a multi million dollar Rock n Roll production. Screw ethics.

Great review - Would be swell if we could move this to the tour section :)

What a great story.

So glad to hear that this brought you and your Dad closer. I don't know if that closeness has lasted, or if it was for one night only but either way that's heartening....and good of you to share something beyond "u2 rocked zomg!!!11!".

Your review brought tears to my eyes--I am waiting for the day I can share a U2 concert with my son!

I hope you get to share one with your son.:) It's a great way to bond, probably one of the least expected ways idk, but I had a real great time. We've been talking about that show ever since that night and want to see another show. Might not happen but I'd definitely love to see another show.

What a great review! A u2 concert is really such an incredible and indescribable thing, isn't it? :) Thats great you can share it with your father. My dad doesn't really get my enthusiasm for something as "trivial" as music. A concert really can change a persons life.

Hi Vincent! Thanks for sharing such a great story, I really, really enjoyed it, it reminded me of myself when I was younger and went to my first u2 show (PopMart Tour in Mexico City), all the excitement and nervoussness since I woke up that day. And you're so lucky for having shared that special moment with your father, I know that feeling will last forever.

Your review made my day, thanks again! :)

great review....my first show was PoPmart in St Louis....very special :up:

i dont think my parents get my love for u2, they think im weird. oh well their loss!

I just reread through this whole thread. My God, what a great day & great time I had. Can.not.WAIT. to see some of you guys again in Anaheim!!! :heart:

I really don't have much photographically to contribute to this thread - I had an amazing spot at the back of the inside rail, but for some odd reason the majority of my concert pictures are blurry or have random stranger's body parts in them. Perhaps it was all the dancing with the other 2,499 people in the pit that might have something to do with that... :hmm:

:lmao:

Anyway, here are the best of what I kept from Raleigh.
U2360Tour2009194.jpg

Love how this one seems that he was looking right at me.
U2360Tour2009188.jpg

:love:

Southern Hospitality sure lives up to its name!....:D..Im coming back for the July 4th celebrations....:DTailgating is brilliant!.....wish they did things like that here..esp at U2 shows!..was amazing!!!!!!:D:D:DSouthern people are so freindly!..I felt right at home after stepping off that plane!:Dwas also in Atlanta while I was there ..that was amazing too!......I just love America!:heart::heart::heart:

Back
Top Bottom