No more second guitar? Nonsense!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That headset is the least rock and roll thing U2 have ever done. It's hard to make a guitarist look like a prancing pussy but that did it.

brits09-bono-590x350.jpg

Bono may not be able to join Edge on stage with his weak-ass guitar skills anymore, thanks to Bikegate. This probably means Dallas, or someone else from the underworld, will need step it up and join in on songs that need/benefit the 2nd guitar, like The Fly, One, etc.

I say: step it up and step right out! that's right: join em on stage. no need to hide in the underworld anymore. Yes Terry Lawless likes to hide below with his keys. However, no self-respecting guitar player would say the same.

In the name of authenticity, and filling-out-their live sound, I say, let Dallas join them on stage :rockon:

ncrash.gif

Let's wait and see how things stand on May 14. Maybe he'll not play on 2015 dates but be able to play on SOE tour in 2016.

I don't think they would bring Dallas onstage given his Edge-related duties, or hiring some outsider.

which is a ZooTv tour The Fly rewrite... aka an improvement of the original song rather than a different arrangement which takes the punch out of the performance.

I don't like the key that Elevation Fly is in. That's really my only issue with that arrangement, which is otherwise pretty awesome. The intro is gorgeous.

The only good thing you can say about SUC was said in a review in which the writer called it the one where "Edge comes over all Led Zepplin".

I'm referring to the way Bono is trying to sing it on Elevation. Singing that same intro (which, of course, is the chorus - but the vocals are in fact pretty different) in the album key just doesn't sound as good. In fact it sounds positively dull. Which is why they changed the key, pretty clearly.

Anyways, my point is you can't logically say that the intro is gorgeous, but not like the key it's in. It simply would not sound as gorgeous in album tuning, period.

I'm referring to the way Bono is trying to sing it on Elevation. Singing that same intro (which, of course, is the chorus - but the vocals are in fact pretty different) in the album key just doesn't sound as good. In fact it sounds positively dull. Which is why they changed the key, pretty clearly.

Anyways, my point is you can't logically say that the intro is gorgeous, but not like the key it's in. It simply would not sound as gorgeous in album tuning, period.
You can say it very easily: "I like the intro and the tuning obviously benefited that, but it also had a negative impact on the rest of the song, so overall that version doesn't do it for me." That's actually completely logically sound and is, I'm sure, exactly what LM was saying. And I'd tend to agree with him.

Jesus christ. That's not exactly what he said. And even tho I also don't like the rest of the version overall, and for that very reason, the tuning, it is inescapable that without that tuning you don't have that intro. The end. No reply necessary.

What is the matter with you? Seriously, I don't understand how you could possibly be offended by anything I said in this brief discussion. You baffle me.

I just found a song where Bono's guitar playing is actually pretty crucial, which is "I fall down". I was watching through an old video of a War concert bootleg from Toronto, and that's when I realized it. While Edge is playing the piano, Bono is playing some of the main guitar riff, and doing more than just hitting the occasional chord.

Also strumming the chords on the last verse of "Running to stand still" is a pretty important part.

Unfortunately, U2 won't be playing either of those songs on tour this year.

You can say it very easily: "I like the intro and the tuning obviously benefited that, but it also had a negative impact on the rest of the song, so overall that version doesn't do it for me." That's actually completely logically sound and is, I'm sure, exactly what LM was saying. And I'd tend to agree with him.

It is, in fact, what I was saying. I can separate the new intro from the chorus because, though they have the same chord progression, they have an entirely different feel on account of the new lyrics and slower tempo. I can praise the intro without praising the new key because there's more to it that I enjoy beyond the chord progression itself. Further, some chord progressions sound a lot better without a ton of distortion.

As for the rest of the song, keys have their own unique color and emotion to them (D minor being the saddest of keys) and something about the new key, gorgeous though the intro may be, carries over to the verses and solo in a negative way. It just doesn't work for me. It's too light and melodic from start to finish and lacks the grit of the ZooTV arrangement.

But the intro, GOOD LORD. Some great vocals and vivid lyricism there. You take the good with the bad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom