NLOTH Week 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 set to stay number one in the UK, they're ahead of Kelly Clarkson and Taylor Swift's new releases

Not to "jump the gun" but U2 is # 1 & 4 on the USA iTunes chart and Kelly is # 2.

On Amazon.com- U2 is #1 and Kelly is # 3

Its the 1st day, I know, but U2 was number #1 & 2 on Itunes on their 1st day of release and #1 on Amazon.com for the week/weeks leading up to their release.

Unfortunately, Kelly is on American Idol this Wednesday, so she should see a huge boost from that. Either way, not too bad....not too bad at all for now.

Not to "jump the gun" but U2 is # 1 & 4 on the USA iTunes chart and Kelly is # 2.

On Amazon.com- U2 is #1 and Kelly is # 3

Its the 1st day, I know, but U2 was number #1 & 2 on Itunes on their 1st day of release and #1 on Amazon.com for the week/weeks leading up to their release.

Unfortunately, Kelly is on American Idol this Wednesday, so she should see a huge boost from that. Either way, not too bad....not too bad at all for now.

I said UK not the US

And this is from the UK midweeks so U2 are outselling both of them

wow that is quite amazing to see U2 still outselling the new contenders,

are U2 still relevent? i think this kinda proves it.

Schoolgirl Faryl Smith set to outsell U2 with debut album - Telegraph

I saw this article earlier and it frightened the life out of me! WHO or WHAT is this Faryl Smith? and PLEASE tell me the prospect of some 13 year old outselling U2 is nothing but garbage!

Shipping 80k is quite impressive, but selling more than u2 is another matter entirely I think I read somewhere that (in the UK) U2 is still (on early sales) at number 1 this week in the UK too _ but hey that coukld change. The important chart for me is the World Chart this friday Mike

In the US, currently...

Clarkson #1, 4 on iTunes. #3, 16 on Amazon.
U2 #2, 6 on iTunes. #1, 56 on Amazon

I think Clarkson will pull it out but our guys are not going down without a fight....at least for now. 2 more "radio events" will hopefully help out but success may rest on "word of mouth" and if thats the case....Ill take it! I really feel this album has enough songs to make it stand out from the rest of the music out there. I can't wait for Magnificent to be released to radio. :love:

I think Clarkson will pull it out but our guys are not going down without a fight....at least for now. 2 more "radio events" will hopefully help out but success may rest on "word of mouth" and if thats the case....Ill take it! I really feel this album has enough songs to make it stand out from the rest of the music out there. I can't wait for Magnificent to be released to radio. :love:

I understand it has already been released to radio. However, I heard the commercial single will be released on May 1st, it really does not make sense to wait that long.

I understand it has already been released to radio. However, I heard the commercial single will be released on May 1st, it really does not make sense to wait that long.

McGuiness needs to get shit together :doh:

If this is true it means TWO botched single releases.

It doesn't matter when it's "released" in most countries though because it's all digital. The song is available for download now, so whatever date they say it's released on is irrelevant for the most part

Not at this point in time.

CD singles are non-existent in the U.S.

CD singles outside of the U.S. do sell, but as IrishTeen stated, it's all downloads. If the song is on iTunes, it'll sell.

What matters now is radio air time. If stations play the song in heavy rotation, that will encourage downloads and that will give both the album and the song a boost. In fact, airplay alone can give the album a boost (BD ranked #21 on the U.S. Hot 100 on airplay alone, and it kept ATYCLB going for quite a while).

As a collector, of course I want the CD single now. ;)

Yep, there never would have been a commercial single released in the US anyway. I have yet to hear Magnificent on the radio, but I've mostly been listening to NLOTH the last few days. :D

It would be nice to have the video up on YouTube, MySpace, etc. already, but I don't think a new video would do much for album sales at this point.

Magnificent

Magnificent is supposed to be physically released on May 1. However, several U.S. stations have the single promo, or they are just playing album cuts, and the song is already rising fast on both Adult Rock and Alternative Music formats (see Boots thread).

In the U.S., to have a "Hit Single" on the Billboard Hot 100, U2 would have to maximize airplay and combine it with maximized downloads and physical sales.

I don't know how they can entice folks to download Magnificent as a "single" when it's already being downloaded at will as an album track...and physical sales are dead unless U2 puts out a couple of b-side gems.

That being said, I believe Magnificent is good enough to stand on airplay alone. It will be #1 on Triple A Radio within a few weeks and also in the Top 10 on Modern Rock/Alternative stations by then. Beyond that, it's just too hard to tell with U.S. radio. If Boots can be a "modest" hit, however, Magnificent should have much more potential.

:down: U2 are 3k ahead of Pig Face Clarkson in the UK

thats bad

:| how on earth is that bad? seriously? her CD is only just getting released here, she is popular amonst the teeny brigade etc etc, yet U2 are still 3k in front, i really really dont know how you can say "thats bad"

Magnificent is supposed to be physically released on May 1. However, several U.S. stations have the single promo, or they are just playing album cuts, and the song is already rising fast on both Adult Rock and Alternative Music formats (see Boots thread).

In the U.S., to have a "Hit Single" on the Billboard Hot 100, U2 would have to maximize airplay and combine it with maximized downloads and physical sales.

I don't know how they can entice folks to download Magnificent as a "single" when it's already being downloaded at will as an album track...and physical sales are dead unless U2 puts out a couple of b-side gems.

That being said, I believe Magnificent is good enough to stand on airplay alone. It will be #1 on Triple A Radio within a few weeks and also in the Top 10 on Modern Rock/Alternative stations by then. Beyond that, it's just too hard to tell with U.S. radio. If Boots can be a "modest" hit, however, Magnificent should have much more potential.

Having said that, here in the UK Kings of Leon are charting well in both album and singles chart based on sales alone - so it is possible

clarksons album has only just come out in the Uk so first days sales will be higher than what she will get the rest of the week, as we saw last week U2 had 70k on day 1 but averaged only 16.5k ish for the other days. i think U2 will still remain top.

regarding magnificent, it WILL need a radio edit (not sure about AAA formats, but for UK certainly). if thats the case, which version will people download? album or single mix? this will split sales and greatly reduce chart performance. from my understanding artists whose singles are short pop songs that dont need editing, are only available as one version - the album version - this means that sales arent split and higher chart performance.

regarding magnificent, it WILL need a radio edit (not sure about AAA formats, but for UK certainly). if thats the case, which version will people download? album or single mix? this will split sales and greatly reduce chart performance. from my understanding artists whose singles are short pop songs that dont need editing, are only available as one version - the album version - this means that sales arent split and higher chart performance.

THIS is why I think McGuiness (or whoever) is hurting the band's single numbers. GOYB could have been more successful if it wasn't split into different versions available on the regular and deluxe iTunes versions of NLOTH. You aren't going to get nearly as many downloads if you have three different versions of Magnificent available on iTunes that are #13, #14, and #15, then you would if you just had one version that was in the top 5 or 10

THIS is why I think McGuiness (or whoever) is hurting the band's single numbers. GOYB could have been more successful if it wasn't split into different versions available on the regular and deluxe iTunes versions of NLOTH. You aren't going to get nearly as many downloads if you have three different versions of Magnificent available on iTunes that are #13, #14, and #15, then you would if you just had one version that was in the top 5 or 10

Why cant all versions of the one song just count as one though? All versions of NLOTH were added together as one. Why cant it be the same for singles?

Why cant all versions of the one song just count as one though? All versions of NLOTH were added together as one. Why cant it be the same for singles?

They ARE combined in the final chart but not in the itunes chart. It's the same for albums on itunes

Basically what we'll have when Magnificent is released is this
Magnificent from No Line On the Horizon
Magnificent from No Line On the Horizon Deluxe
Magnificent from the Magnificent single
And they'll all chart separately on itunes

They ARE combined in the final chart but not in the itunes chart. It's the same for albums on itunes

Basically what we'll have when Magnificent is released is this
Magnificent from No Line On the Horizon
Magnificent from No Line On the Horizon Deluxe
Magnificent from the Magnificent single
And they'll all chart separately on itunes

But if they add together for the purposes of the UK Top 40 and the US Hot 100 then does it really matter where it charts on ITunes?

But if they add together for the purposes of the UK Top 40 and the US Hot 100 then does it really matter where it charts on ITunes?

No.

iTunes had multiple version of GOYB listed, but the Hot 100 only had one. So all of the downloads and all of the version played on radio were combined. It doesn't really matter if it's the single version or album version. iTunes does separate them - and correctly so - as they can be different versions of the song.

Because on the front page of itunes they show the top 10 singles at the moment, meaning extra promotion

If U2 have a single at 11 and 12, it should be in the top 10 but wouldn't be, meaning less people would see it and in turn buy it. Hitting the top ten on itunes is a form of advertising in a way

Because on the front page of itunes they show the top 10 singles at the moment, meaning extra promotion

If U2 have a single at 11 and 12, it should be in the top 10 but wouldn't be, meaning less people would see it and in turn buy it. Hitting the top ten on itunes is a form of advertising in a way

Sorry Doctorwho, I gotta agree with Irishteen on this one.

Millions of people log onto iTunes each day and the first thing they glance at is the top 10 downloaded songs. If there was ONE version of a U2 song that made it into the top 10 of iTunes, I believe it would draw the attention of a lot more people who didn't get on to iTunes for the express purpose of trying to find that song.

I think most people who log into iTunes don't get on thinking "OH! I need to go download this particular song right this instant!" They log in essentially to browse, and if they see a song in the top 10 from an artist they like, they are much more likely to check it out. Hence the song is likely to sell a lot more copies, charting higher and having more staying power just from the visibility of being RIGHT THERE on the front page, one click away. And if it's in the top 10...it must be good, right??? :wink:

Sorry Doctorwho, I gotta agree with Irishteen on this one.

Millions of people log onto iTunes each day and the first thing they glance at is the top 10 downloaded songs. If there was ONE version of a U2 song that made it into the top 10 of iTunes, I believe it would draw the attention of a lot more people who didn't get on to iTunes for the express purpose of trying to find that song.

I think most people who log into iTunes don't get on thinking "OH! I need to go download this particular song right this instant!" They log in essentially to browse, and if they see a song in the top 10 from an artist they like, they are much more likely to check it out. Hence the song is likely to sell a lot more copies, charting higher and having more staying power just from the visibility of being RIGHT THERE on the front page, one click away. And if it's in the top 10...it must be good, right??? :wink:

I agree 100% on this, because I do it all the time. I check the whats new and the top ten. Honestly seeing Viva La Vida in the top ten for weeks I finally downloaded it. I do also like to look at the hot 100 as well tho. I think enough people saw NLOTH at #1 in albums for long enough to realize U2 had a new release. Itunes promoted the album well for the first week it was out.

UK update

NLOTH still number 1 but Kelly has closed the gap from 3000 to 1100 copies

Makes sense, NLOTH Has had 3 days sales Kelly has only had 2

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom