NLOTH Album Reviews Pt 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WWWOOOWOWOWOOWWOOWOWOWWOWOWOWOOW

I love this album. I really do. I hope it's not just the newness of the record... and I'm pretty sure it isn't (EX. when HTDAAB first released, my first reaction was "is this it?"). Granted, I enjoyed it (quite a bit) more after some time had passed, the tour, what have you... but now I'm just kind of back to my initial reaction of the record.

ATYCLB is different in that, while I didn't think so highly of it at first, my appreciation has nothing but increased since its release.

And now here we are with NLOTH - I simply love it. There's so much life in these songs, and the record feels complete. I can imagine casual fans ("oh yeah, U2, they're pretty good. I love "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo") will be turned off... there are hardly any standout singles. I don't think that's what this record is about, though - there is some fantastic stuff going on in here... it's phantasmagorical :drool:

Great reviews

I don't have much more to add except the fact that as I listened to these songs I teared up - didn't expect that. Any music that can produce such intense emotions is good music indeed.

Here is the short "fucked me up" really good review (Lemon Melon inspired me). This is after 6 complete listens:

No Line... slapped me across the face. Stunned at this point, Magnificent kicked me in the nuts. I didn't see it coming. I thought I would, but I really didn't. I fell to my knees and Moment of Surrender stabbed me in the heart. Bleeding and in pain, Unknown Caller dialed in a 911 while kicking me all over the floor. That really twisted away from the intro and I was nearly blacking out by this point. Crazy Tonight picked me up off the floor. I thought I was going into the back of a bus, but thumping bass line threw me into the wall over and over. Boots kicked me in the nuts again. So it should. It was kick timed perfectly. The song fits in perfectly. Now that I was down on my knees again, Stand Up Comedy gave me a knee to the nose, spraying blood everywhere and introduced new colors in my eyes. I must of blacked out at this point because the next thing I know, my head is being born through the walls of the room. Fez-Being Born is using my head to punch holes into the walls. By the end of the song, it throws me completely through the wall and out into the snow. White As Snow takes its time to come outside to get me. It just pisses all over me (in a good way, really). Bloodied, battered, and wet is piss, I am suddenly confronted by Breathe and it has one goal. To make sure I can't breathe anymore. More kicks. This time to the head, but really, at this point a kick anywhere is really too much but what the hell. As I black out again, I swear Johnny Cash is singing With or Without You. No. I am wrong. Cedars of Lebanon is kissing me on the cheek.
I nearly died hearing this album the first time. Its bloody awesome!!!! :drool:

This isn't a review so much as a weird story, but here it is anyway.
For my first listen, my dad and I were driving around town. We live by a lake, and it was a cloudy day. Around the middle of the middle of MOS, I looked out over the lake and noticed that the lake looked exactly like the NLOTH cover. We took a picture, but forgot to save it. :(
As for my review:
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Can we move past the Coldplay bashing? It just goes to show that someone must think they are as good as U2, if you keep comparing the two.

I am a huge U2 fan, that also thinks Coldplay is brillant, and BOTH bands can have great albums.

Getthefuckoveritalready

Originally Posted by adypole
No less than a hostile uproar can be expected as a consequence of the drug I take-the substance I live off and the lands it takes me to... My heroin, my hero. The legendary U2, however, are apparently too uncool for school.
Yet little do my classmates understand that it is this very group that left behind footsteps Coldplay and the killers can only stumble to sink their feet into... so go on, give it a go yourself, dig your teeth into the gorgeous sound of no line on the horizon: sway to the infectious beats whilst the epic chants within drench you in a downfall of pounding melodies and ambitious sounds, punching through your speakers and shooting into the atmosphere, now a sonic wonderland, an open landscape where the music can reign free as you ride into the sunset on the wild horses that emerge from the chiming guitar of Horizons second track, magnificent: a mystical synergy of passionate vocals and a striking drum beat that sustains a level of energy in this story of love and beauty: ‘’only love...can leave such a mark...’’ proclaims vocalist Bono, engaging his listeners as their adrenaline kicks off into outer space. This is rock...from another planet.
I’m 14, and one of a minority. We’re the proud outcasts in that so few of my generation will give bands like U2 a chance. This is a heads up to you lot out there: perhaps it’s time to give them that chance?
Adrian Pole
:rockon::up::hi5::d:hug:
From one teenager with taste in music to another.
(I'm pretty sure I'm literally the ONLY student in my school who likes U2...:sad:)

Can we move past the Coldplay bashing? It just goes to show that someone must think they are as good as U2, if you keep comparing the two.

I am a huge U2 fan, that also thinks Coldplay is brillant, and BOTH bands can have great albums.

Getthefuckoveritalready
THIS.
Viva La Vida, Day & Age, and NLOTH...all great albums, all on my iPod, and all listened to at least somewhat regularly.
Can't we all just get along? :grouphug:

THIS.
Viva La Vida, Day & Age, and NLOTH...all great albums, all on my iPod, and all listened to at least somewhat regularly.
Can't we all just get along? :grouphug:

:)

I was hoping this album (NLOTH) was as great as Viva La Vida is...(It seems to be, so all is good!)

Now I do need to spin Day and Age a few more times too...

Getthefuckoveritalready

I'm not bashing, I'm a huge fan and adore their songs. I'm stating how it's ironic that they (classmates) hate the band that inspired the huge craze thats called coldplay.

My website is professional. You haven't heard the name? You should do your research before you start attacking people.

SMB

Boring

I actually thought it was pretty boring, and turned it off.
Bono obviously took a bite out of Sam's Town lyrically.
There music is so uninspiring, or maybe I am... my wife thought the same when she heard it as well. There is just far better songwriting , lyrically and musically, out there now to make this album the best thing to come out.

Edge's guitar , the 12 string super echo one, is over utilized, you almost expect it in every song.

For anyone who wants to see what Eno can really do, you should get David Byrne and Brian Eno's latest. Strong sounds and great melodies.

Anyway. I am sure I will find love in it, but as a person that has found the last 2 U2 albums almost a deal breaker, I think I might have to work harder for this one.

In the mean time I will crank the Twilight Sad as loud as possible to drown out the sounds of the many "whoa ohhs" sprinkled through out No Line.

I actually thought it was pretty boring, and turned it off.
Bono obviously took a bite out of Sam's Town lyrically.
There music is so uninspiring, or maybe I am... my wife thought the same when she heard it as well. There is just far better songwriting , lyrically and musically, out there now to make this album the best thing to come out.

Edge's guitar , the 12 string super echo one, is over utilized, you almost expect it in every song.

For anyone who wants to see what Eno can really do, you should get David Byrne and Brian Eno's latest. Strong sounds and great melodies.

Anyway. I am sure I will find love in it, but as a person that has found the last 2 U2 albums almost a deal breaker, I think I might have to work harder for this one.

In the mean time I will crank the Twilight Sad as loud as possible to drown out the sounds of the many "whoa ohhs" sprinkled through out No Line.

Join date Aug 2000 Posts 2...We look forward to your next post in 2018....:)

"Restart and re-boot yourself" is an apt lyric. Much of U2's output this decade prior to this album was, in the opinon of a considerable number of people, much more pedestrian than their output from previous decades. My personal opinion - it's not at all that it was bad - I enjoy a good number of tracks from ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but getting enjoyment out of a track and being moved by a track aren't the same thing, and most(not all) of those two records don't move me - it was that it was below what I knew they were capable of - listen to what they did on the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack, recorded in 1999/2000, and you know that they were still evolving as musicians, and that their ability to make music of depth didn't go anywhere when they recorded Vertigo - it was just hidden. It is being hidden no more here. That's not to say every track is a deep and evocative - there are rockers too!

No Line On The Horizon, as far as rockers go, is the opposite of Vertigo. It is 100% buildup, where as Vertigo was all about instant gratification, and that is a good thing. It's a great opener, and it's really growing on me. At first I was waiting for a little more melody in Bono's vocals, but then I realized that that isn't what this song is about. It's about everything going on behind Bono. It's atmospheric, lush, intense, and it just keeps building up and never letting up. Every time I listen to it, I feel the adrenaline, and I'm just waiting for an explosion that never comes. And not giving us that explosion was the right decision. The closest it gets is when Bono goes up an octave and is joined by Edge on vocals in the last repetitions of the chorus. It's perfect. Rather than an all-out explosion, it's a restrained and controlled peak that harnesses all of the power that's been built up throughout the song - which is a lot - and focuses it all on the listener's soul, and that moves the listener, where as an all-out explosion wouldn't have that focus, would make your whole body move as you jump around the room, and while you'd be excited, you wouldn't be moved. A sensational opener. Easily their best opener to an album since Zooropa(though it's not better than Zooropa - Zooropa is just that good).

Magnificient is, to me, the most U2-sounding song on this record. It is a common complaint in these parts that U2 have tried too hard this decade to sound like themselves. But there's a difference between U2 trying to sound like themselves by trying to recapture the essence of their past songs, and U2 trying to sound like themselves by trying to sound like the guys who made those past songs would sound in 2009. Rather than trying to duplicate their older sound, they're trying to evolve it here. They're taking their sound from, I'd say, October through The Joshua Tree, and applying all of the musical and personal growth they've made over the years to it instead of just trying to echo it, and this is the result. The riff is one of those eternal sounding riffs. Simple, but eternal. It may go down as one Edge's greatest. It's a really simple song actually, but it could go on forever. The intro is great, the way it starts out dark and spacey and techno-y, like it's gonna be a Depeche Mode song or a Pink Floyd song or something, and builds into that amazing riff. The verse melodies are sort of hypnotizing, and they simply act as a set-up for the riff and chorus. That little oh-oh-oh-oh hook Bono uses at the end of the verses as a springboard into the chorus is perfectly placed. The outro is gorgeous, with Bono's falsetto, the drums, the backing vocals, the moroccan-sounding strings, which then give way to a final repetition of the chorus. This doesn't sound like U2 trying to sound like U2. This just sounds like U2. I think this track is a little bit overrated on this forum already, but it's too early for all of that. Great, great track. It seriously sounds like the band who made the October album. I mean, listen to 'Fire' and this back-to-back. It's uncanny.

Moment Of Surrender is my favorite track on the record thus far. Brilliant. While people were praising Original Of The Species as a great ballad, I was hoping that the band that made Stateless would come back someday. Here they are. There are no words. Just brilliant. One of the early reviews from the listening sessions - the one that was blatantly hating on it - made a comment about U2 trying this song live a half a dozen times before never playing it again. That will probably happen with at least one song. I just hope it isn't this one. I can picture the crowd holding up the lighters. Except that that seems too cliche for a song as evocative and moving as this. THIS is how U2 should have followed up Pop and MDH. THIS was the natural evolution of their musicianship. Oh, and can we stop already with the freaking about about the ATM lyric? Bono isn't the first person to use the phrase 'ATM Machine'. It may be incorrect but it's common. Google it. I got nearly 900,000 hits. Anyway. I'm sort of blown away by this. And relieved. It's been a decade since U2 touched territory like this. I had total faith that they were still capable of this, but not proof. Here is the proof.

Unknown Caller is a joyful pseudo-prog rocker. The 'sunshine' intro is Beatlesque, and it gives way to a riff that, in the beginning, sounds kind of like the Walk On riff...but that is short lived, and this song is anything but Walk On. The riff quickly transforms into a slightly proggy riff underneath the instantly catchy oh-oh-oh-oh-oh melody. The instrumentation in the verses, as well as the shouting parts of the chorus, are very Red-Hot-Chili-Peppers-esque, and it's amazing to hear that in a U2 song. What's cool is that instrumentation behind the first and second verse aren't identical, which makes the song as a whole more musically diverse. I love that. The outro is incredible. I hear synthesizers and an ORGAN playing together as Edge plays his solo, which is perhaps his best on the record - it sounds vaguely like his solo from Please, but maybe even better. Wow. It's hard to articulate this song.

I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight is the second most U2-sounding song on the record. The backing track during the verses sounds, to me, sort of like the backing track of 'Bad' if it were sped up. The melody in these verse is simply, not hooky, but hypnotising. The chorus starts out in full Bono-belting fashion, works its way into a great hook with 'as you start out the climb', and then transforms into a shout-it-out-to-the-world style finish line, I KNOW I'LL GO CRA-ZY IF I DON'T. GO. CRAZY. TONIGHT! The 'Baby, baby, baby' coda was a brilliant surprise...almost like an homage to Ultraviolet(Light My Way), from nearly two decades ago. The melody there is infectious and adrenaline-pumping. Bono nails the vocal here. This song was expected to be some kind of cheesy pop song. I don't think it's cheesy at all. I think it's a brilliant pop song, with a chorus that walks up to the border between pop and rock and then backs up.

Get On Your Boots is Get On Your Boots. Probably the weakest song here, but that's not really saying anything. I still love the chorus and I still think the 'Let me in the sound' parts are some of the coolest things U2 has put on a record in their career.

Stand Up Comedy should be a huge single. One of the early reviews claimed that it sounded the same as Crumbs From Your Table. Perhaps fleetingly, here and there, for a like a second, if you listen real hard. But to me, it's more The Fly meets Holy Joe, and that's just as kick-ass as it sounds. The riffs in this song are some of the heaviest and trippiest U2 have had in a while, and the song itself is just catchy as hell. The melody accompanying 'out from under your beds' is the kind of hook that can put a song at the top of the charts. The bridge melody starting at 2:58 is incredible and a great surprise, when the song could have finished without it. The Bono is in fine form here. Love it.

Fez-Being Born is like Moment Of Surrender for me in that it is proof that the U2 that were intent on fucking up the mainstream a decade and a half ago still exist. Amazing. The first part of it straight up could be Sigur Ros, and for U2 to record something like that blows my mind. The second part of it is like a cross between The Unforgettable Fire's title track and songs from the soundtrack of the 1984 fantasy cult classic, 'The Neverending Story'. Parts of the melodies here put the image of the Ivory Tower in my head. The lyrics are intriguing and abstract, and I like them a lot, but the song doesn't need them to be brilliant. I actually an instrumental version of this song without Bono's vocals could be an interesting B-Side for one of the singles. Just absolutely fucking drool-worthy. Sigur Ros, Zooropa-style transitions, The Unforgettable Fire-esque atmospherics, Neverending Story-style melodies, all in one U2 song? Just WOW. I'm sad for the people who think this song is 'meandering' and 'goes nowhere' and 'is too weird', because this is one of the most inspiring, beautiful things U2 has put on record in a long, long time. In fact, that meandering quality is precisely what makes it so great. It's not a song looking for radio airplay. It's not a song that's begging for attention. It's just art.

White As Snow is another gem. This is unlike anything U2 have ever done. There's some 'Hands That Built America' vibe here, but this is a different animal than that - this is much less melodramatic and over-the-top. The melodies are sweet but melancholy, the lyrics are good, and the song as whole is a slow-burning builder in a way that only U2 songs can be. The point near the end when it reaches its climax, finally building all the way up to a scaled-down reprise of Unknown Caller's chorus melody, is sublime. The song starts out sad, but gets less and less so as the song goes on, and by the time it gets to the Unknown Caller reprise, the sadness has built all the way into restrained yet pure joy. But then after this, it gets sad again, ending with 'if only a heart could be as white as snow'. There is a longing that drives this song. It's as if the speaker starts out sad, longing for days gone by, and then as he gets lost in those memories, he suddenly feels more joyful, and then he snaps out of it and realizes they are only memories and he's still here and now, and he gets sad again. Beautiful song.

Breathe is a good song. I love it. But not as much as some of the others. I dig Bono giving the Dylan stream-of-consciousness vocal style a try, and he's actually pretty damn good at it. The chorus is obviously huge. One of the most sing-along-able choruses on the album, and it will be a killer live. The instrumental coda is really, really good, but I think Edge's solo, while good, is one of those solos that he'll make into a different monster live.

Cedars Of Lebanon, like Moment Of Surrender and Fez-Being Born before it, overjoys me because it is proof that the band that made Zooropa and Passengers and MDH is still here and is still willing to put out music like this under their own moniker. The lyrics, overall, are are some the finest Bono has written in over a decade. The atmosphere is perfect, and the the short, one-line chorus is hauntingly beautiful. Best closer since Wake Up Dead Man, maybe Love is Blindness, and follows in the grand tradition of U2 albums finishing on a dark song.

Eno and Lanois are all over this album. Their influence cannot be overstated. Eno and Lanois - especially Eno - take U2 to another level. Period. I'm sorry, but I just don't think Steve Lillywhite could produce anything close to this evocative and layered. This is far and away U2's best-produced album since Zooropa, which as an Eno-Edge-Flood collaborative effort.

Bono is vocally stronger and more powerful than he's been since Achtung Baby and Zooropa. He's not quite what he was from 1987-1989, but there are things he's doing now that he never could've done then too. He used his lower register much more back then, but he never could've hit the high notes then the way he's doing now. He's technically a better singer than he was then, even if his voice doesn't quite have the power it did then. It's still just as good as it was on Achtung Baby and Zooropa. Just as good. And considering the state of his voice between 1998 and 2001, that's just a great thing to know.

Adam and Larry are more present and more exciting on this album than they've been since Pop. They've been kind of muted on ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but they're back in full force.

The thing that stands out about this album, the thing they've done with this album that they haven't done since Zooropa, is that they're clearly not worrying about singles anymore. They've brought artistry back. People talk about the 'every song is a single' philosophy that U2 has had in recent years, and people attribute it to ATYCLB and HTDAAB. But it started on Pop. Discotheque, Do You Feel Loved, If God Will Send His Angels, Staring At The Sun, Last Night On Earth, Gone, Please...all were single material. I think Pop is brilliant, but it doesn't have the avante-garde nature of Zooropa and Passengers. Not only is this the most cohesive album they've put since Zooropa, but some of the tracks truly fit that avante-garde territory. And that makes me happy, because outside of the MDH stuff, U2 hasn't been willing to go there for a long time.

"I don't wanna be in a crap band, and the minute U2 becomes a crap band, we're, you know, we're all out of here. And crap does not mean, it's not measured in sales, or even relevance, it's about the sense of adventure, is it still there, are you still blowing your own mind, are you still growing as a musician, and as a songwriter, and as a person, and I think, I think that in U2 we are, right now."

I posted this quote recently and said that more than anything else, I hoped this album would prove that the spirit of that quote is still alive in Bono and the rest of the band. It has, with flying colors. I think they blew their own minds again. They've certainly blown mine. And in that respect, they've rebooted themselves.

1.Moment Of Surrender
2.Fez-Being Born
3.No Line On The Horizon
4.Magnificent
5.Stand-Up Comedy
6.Unknown Caller
7.Cedars Of Lebanon
8.White As Snow
9.I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Crazy Tonight
10.Breath
11.Get On Your Boots

I think. But it could change. And I'm in love with all of them.

:up: :drool:

fabulous writing, and i couldn't agree with your assesments any more, especially your feelings on Fez - Being Born (worth the price of admission on its own).

one of U2's best albums ever, with achtung baby and joshua tree. It is the only album since achtung baby to give me that special feeling right from the begining, especially true for moment of surrender, one of the best songs I have ever heard by anyone! MOS is like a blend of in a little while, one, and your blue room, all taken to a new level.

Originally Posted by adypole
No less than a hostile uproar can be expected as a consequence of the drug I take-the substance I live off and the lands it takes me to... My heroin, my hero. The legendary U2, however, are apparently too uncool for school.
Yet little do my classmates understand that it is this very group that left behind footsteps Coldplay and the killers can only stumble to sink their feet into... so go on, give it a go yourself, dig your teeth into the gorgeous sound of no line on the horizon: sway to the infectious beats whilst the epic chants within drench you in a downfall of pounding melodies and ambitious sounds, punching through your speakers and shooting into the atmosphere, now a sonic wonderland, an open landscape where the music can reign free as you ride into the sunset on the wild horses that emerge from the chiming guitar of Horizons second track, magnificent: a mystical synergy of passionate vocals and a striking drum beat that sustains a level of energy in this story of love and beauty: ‘’only love...can leave such a mark...’’ proclaims vocalist Bono, engaging his listeners as their adrenaline kicks off into outer space. This is rock...from another planet.
I’m 14, and one of a minority. We’re the proud outcasts in that so few of my generation will give bands like U2 a chance. This is a heads up to you lot out there: perhaps it’s time to give them that chance?
Adrian Pole.

I can tell by your superior writing skills that your intellect is much greater than those mouth breather classmates of yours anyway

Keep on keepin' on Brother :rockon:

Three Lines on the Horizon

Back in 1987, U2 released its first truly masterpiece with The Joshua Tree. They were the biggest band in the world and all that shit. You know that. I wasn't there. I wasn't even born. But how many fans, after R&H (a truly great album to me, but as you know, not loved to death by most of the U2 fanbase) started to think: "Hey, could they come up with something at the same level as this?"
Now there was something to always compare to other albums. Could that be U2's peak? But then comes 1991 and its Achtung Baby. What the hell? Is it better than Joshua? That's up to you, but you can't deny it's on the same standards. Well, you can, but you know how that would end...
Anyway, you don't need me to tell you U2's biography. So let me get to the point: with Baby and Joshua we have a standard. That's U2 at its best, and when a new album comes it WILL be compared to these.
"Shut up you a**hole! TUF is way better than that Baby crap! That is standard for shit"
But who said I was talking about you?
Critics around the globe praise these as this band magnum-opus. And when a band is doing an album, they will be comparing their new work with those two. Be sure of that. (And say what you want, but most fans do that too with these two albums.)
Well, it's been 17 years since Achtung Baby was released, we're in 2009 (Really?) and yesterday we got No Line on the Horizon:

I don't think I would need to say that this wil be biased, do I?

And it starts, and it starts really well. "No Line on the Horizon", with those kind of lyrics that makes you go to places and that only Bono could write, like "I know a girl / With a hole in her heart / She said infinity is a great place to start." A melody that makes you think that the band, with Edge's help, downloaded those outtakes from the AB era and realized their greatness. The most Achtung that was not released in 1991 or 1992. And with shouts of "No! No line!" the song leaves us to U2's best intro for a song since, well, you know. Mullen Jr. shows his skills to back up Bono's beautiful vocals in "Magnificent" shouting what "only love" can do. Sounds like an instant classic. Like The Unforgettable Fire on LSD at the same time it is Zooropa with some light we get a song that is U2 from all times in one. And damn, it sounds fresh. Again, Bono's vocals stick in your mind at the end. He sings "I was born to sing for you." I don't think he was lying.
It's all quiet. It's about to begin the longest U2 track put on record and famously hyped as the "one take" song. Actually, it is the most damn hyped song from this record. And before you can think another thing, it starts. Some drums. Some keyboards? (Sorry, I don't know much about instruments.) Some bass. There's a rhythm. There's a scream. The fire plays with Bono but this song plays with us with its melody that seems to not change and builds up discretely in the background until we're gifted with U2's weirdest and emotional chorus in ages. That's "Moment of Surrender", which uses strong lyrics that involve an ATM machine and transports us to what could be some dark movie from the 70's. A song that has over 7 minutes and when it ends, it doesn't seems enough. Bono's "ohhoohohohohoh"s at the end finish what could be U2's best ballad since... ok, I think I've the right to use the word "ever" here... or "So Cruel".
Oh God, birds! Oh God, "Bad"!
Unknown Caller starts with some sound in the background, a "Bad" guitar, and... birds! Oh, those birds give you a very nice feeling. Then there's the creepy (and in a good way) Edge falsetto that makes you think that you are in some pink sky desert in the middle of the afternoon. (There's something poetic, huh?) You start to think where this could be heading: Some acoustic track? That's until the transition between the quiet intro and the song itself, a powerful high-tech rocker extravaganza, is provided by Bono's "ohohohohohoh"s. Alternating between a Bono-led choir and his normal vocals we got a beautiful song that starts to resembles Pink Floyd's "Summer '68" right before we are gifted with a *_* Edge's solo. The high-tech lyrics complete what is the best song on the album.
"She's a rainbow and she loves the peaceful life" is how I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" vocals start and they set the mood for the most uplifting track on the album. Does that makes it a good one? At first you ears might be hurt by Bono's creepy (and this time, NOT in a good way) falsetto or you might be pissed by the way the chorus never quite explodes in the celebration of joy it promises. While Bono's falsettos always sound bad who said the chorus needs to do that? And here's shown one of the strongest points of this album: the songs doesn't try to please your ear. They don't try. They just ARE.
Silence again, but soon your speakers blow with the sound of Larry's drums bringing down the house on the track that proves the 20 year olds still can't rock as the 40's. U2's best rocker since "Elevation", Get on Your Boots is the band at the 150 bpm speed presenting their best lead single. (Yes, it is a period) With its crazy lyrics, the coolest use of the word "sexy", semi-rap vocals, a middle-eastern chorus, and the most badass bridge ever we have a track that pleads you to turn the volume up as much as possible and just dance. Mission acomplished. But now it's not the time for breathe, cause another rocker is on the verge. The punk rock from venus arrives 4 years late, but it is well worth the wait. Stand Up Comedy is a U2 meets Led Zep meets Red Hot Chili Peppers. Amazingly, that ends up sounding freakin' awesome. U2's most ironic lyrics of this decade are sung in a semi-talked way with "ohohohohoh"s filling the song alternating with Edge's funky guitar while you can hear "love, love, love" shouts that will be repeated through stadiums around the globe. The song ends the way it started, but not before some siren-guitar sound makes it even better.
Our little movie-album now has its "high scene": Between familiar "Let me in the sound"s and weird keyboards is Fez, the intro to the OS1 and Zooropa child Being Born. Descriptive lyrics, Bono's shouts. All combined to keyboards, another great drum work and in another U2 meets Pink Floyd moment a choir that gives me chills. One of the strongets tracks on the album. In contrast to all that goes on this, is White as Snow, a simple, dark ballad that tells the story of a soldier in Afghanistan where you can hear his memories while he's dying. A lot of different things can move people, but if that doesn't move you, I don't know what should. Again, you can hear shadows of "Summer '68" on what seems to be the beggining of a chorus, but turns to be another section of the song, which btw, has no clear chorus. The songs ends with no fanfare. As the soldier's life fades away the song goes too.
The atmospheric rocker Breathe takes you away from that moment to put you in the middle of fast delivered lines and uplifiting choruses. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that well and it just gets lost in its supposed greatness. But again, not a bad song, falling short to get where it wants. Anyway, I'm pretty sure this is most me than anything else, cause I can hear a lot of things here that people will love. The album says its final goodbye with Bono's last performance as the war correspondent who should "Return the call home." in Cedars of Lebanon. A Bono owned song that ends before you can realize it did and that does the job as closer. Apparently U2 learned the lesson after "Yahweh". And in the quietest, slowest and most anti-climatic Sopranos way the album rolls its final credits with the best lyrics on the album: "Choose your enemies carefully cause they will define you / Make them interesting cause in some ways they will mind you / They're not there in the beginning but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends."

"Ahn... ok man... But what was all that JT and AB story about?"
Well, here it goes.
It's 2009, and U2 has done it again. You may say that Pop is their best album, Zooropa, ATYCLB, HTDAAB, whatever... but no albums will ever recieve unanimous praise (of course, there IS exceptions) the way AB and JT recieve, no albums will be set as standars for the band as AB and JT are... except for THIS.
I do believe that this is finally what they were looking for. Bono says that there is no line on the horizon And there isn't. Infinity is a great place to start in life indeed. But U2's musical horizon has: AB and JT are two lines on their horizon that they try to cross/reach with every new album. And with No Line on the Horizon, U2 finally did it.
This is a third line.
There is three lines on the horizon.

MrMac
Sorry for my english.

Three Lines on the Horizon

Back in 1987, U2 released its first truly masterpiece with The Joshua Tree. They were the biggest band in the world and all that shit. You know that. I wasn't there. I wasn't even born. But how many fans, after R&H (a truly great album to me, but as you know, not loved to death by most of the U2 fanbase) started to think: "Hey, could they come up with something at the same level as this?"
Now there was something to always compare to other albums. Could that be U2's peak? But then comes 1991 and its Achtung Baby. What the hell? Is it better than Joshua? That's up to you, but you can't deny it's on the same standards. Well, you can, but you know how that would end...
Anyway, you don't need me to tell you U2's biography. So let me get to the point: with Baby and Joshua we have a standard. That's U2 at its best, and when a new album comes it WILL be compared to these.
"Shut up you a**hole! TUF is way better than that Baby crap! That is standard for shit"
But who said I was talking about you?
Critics around the globe praise these as this band magnum-opus. And when a band is doing an album, they will be comparing their new work with those two. Be sure of that. (And say what you want, but most fans do that too with these two albums.)
Well, it's been 17 years since Achtung Baby was released, we're in 2009 (Really?) and yesterday we got No Line on the Horizon:

I don't think I would need to say that this wil be biased, do I?

And it starts, and it starts really well. "No Line on the Horizon", with those kind of lyrics that makes you go to places and that only Bono could write, like "I know a girl / With a hole in her heart / She said infinity is a great place to start." A melody that makes you think that the band, with Edge's help, downloaded those outtakes from the AB era and realized their greatness. The most Achtung that was not released in 1991 or 1992. And with shouts of "No! No line!" the song leaves us to U2's best intro for a song since, well, you know. Mullen Jr. shows his skills to back up Bono's beautiful vocals in "Magnificent" shouting what "only love" can do. Sounds like an instant classic. Like The Unforgettable Fire on LSD at the same time it is Zooropa with some light we get a song that is U2 from all times in one. And damn, it sounds fresh. Again, Bono's vocals stick in your mind at the end. He sings "I was born to sing for you." I don't think he was lying.
It's all quiet. It's about to begin the longest U2 track put on record and famously hyped as the "one take" song. Actually, it is the most damn hyped song from this record. And before you can think another thing, it starts. Some drums. Some keyboards? (Sorry, I don't know much about instruments.) Some bass. There's a rhythm. There's a scream. The fire plays with Bono but this song plays with us with its melody that seems to not change and builds up discretely in the background until we're gifted with U2's weirdest and emotional chorus in ages. That's "Moment of Surrender", which uses strong lyrics that involve an ATM machine and transports us to what could be some dark movie from the 70's. A song that has over 7 minutes and when it ends, it doesn't seems enough. Bono's "ohhoohohohohoh"s at the end finish what could be U2's best ballad since... ok, I think I've the right to use the word "ever" here... or "So Cruel".
Oh God, birds! Oh God, "Bad"!
Unknown Caller starts with some sound in the background, a "Bad" guitar, and... birds! Oh, those birds give you a very nice feeling. Then there's the creepy (and in a good way) Edge falsetto that makes you think that you are in some pink sky desert in the middle of the afternoon. (There's something poetic, huh?) You start to think where this could be heading: Some acoustic track? That's until the transition between the quiet intro and the song itself, a powerful high-tech rocker extravaganza, is provided by Bono's "ohohohohohoh"s. Alternating between a Bono-led choir and his normal vocals we got a beautiful song that starts to resembles Pink Floyd's "Summer '68" right before we are gifted with a *_* Edge's solo. The high-tech lyrics complete what is the best song on the album.
"She's a rainbow and she loves the peaceful life" is how I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" vocals start and they set the mood for the most uplifting track on the album. Does that makes it a good one? At first you ears might be hurt by Bono's creepy (and this time, NOT in a good way) falsetto or you might be pissed by the way the chorus never quite explodes in the celebration of joy it promises. While Bono's falsettos always sound bad who said the chorus needs to do that? And here's shown one of the strongest points of this album: the songs doesn't try to please your ear. They don't try. They just ARE.
Silence again, but soon your speakers blow with the sound of Larry's drums bringing down the house on the track that proves the 20 year olds still can't rock as the 40's. U2's best rocker since "Elevation", Get on Your Boots is the band at the 150 bpm speed presenting their best lead single. (Yes, it is a period) With its crazy lyrics, the coolest use of the word "sexy", semi-rap vocals, a middle-eastern chorus, and the most badass bridge ever we have a track that pleads you to turn the volume up as much as possible and just dance. Mission acomplished. But now it's not the time for breathe, cause another rocker is on the verge. The punk rock from venus arrives 4 years late, but it is well worth the wait. Stand Up Comedy is a U2 meets Led Zep meets Red Hot Chili Peppers. Amazingly, that ends up sounding freakin' awesome. U2's most ironic lyrics of this decade are sung in a semi-talked way with "ohohohohoh"s filling the song alternating with Edge's funky guitar while you can hear "love, love, love" shouts that will be repeated through stadiums around the globe. The song ends the way it started, but not before some siren-guitar sound makes it even better.
Our little movie-album now has its "high scene": Between familiar "Let me in the sound"s and weird keyboards is Fez, the intro to the OS1 and Zooropa child Being Born. Descriptive lyrics, Bono's shouts. All combined to keyboards, another great drum work and in another U2 meets Pink Floyd moment a choir that gives me chills. One of the strongets tracks on the album. In contrast to all that goes on this, is White as Snow, a simple, dark ballad that tells the story of a soldier in Afghanistan where you can hear his memories while he's dying. A lot of different things can move people, but if that doesn't move you, I don't know what should. Again, you can hear shadows of "Summer '68" on what seems to be the beggining of a chorus, but turns to be another section of the song, which btw, has no clear chorus. The songs ends with no fanfare. As the soldier's life fades away the song goes too.
The atmospheric rocker Breathe takes you away from that moment to put you in the middle of fast delivered lines and uplifiting choruses. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that well and it just gets lost in its supposed greatness. But again, not a bad song, falling short to get where it wants. Anyway, I'm pretty sure this is most me than anything else, cause I can hear a lot of things here that people will love. The album says its final goodbye with Bono's last performance as the war correspondent who should "Return the call home." in Cedars of Lebanon. A Bono owned song that ends before you can realize it did and that does the job as closer. Apparently U2 learned the lesson after "Yahweh". And in the quietest, slowest and most anti-climatic Sopranos way the album rolls its final credits with the best lyrics on the album: "Choose your enemies carefully cause they will define you / Make them interesting cause in some ways they will mind you / They're not there in the beginning but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends."

"Ahn... ok man... But what was all that JT and AB story about?"
Well, here it goes.
It's 2009, and U2 has done it again. You may say that Pop is their best album, Zooropa, ATYCLB, HTDAAB, but no albums will ever recieve unanimous praise (of course, there IS exceptions) the way AB and JT recieve, no albums will be set as standars for the band as AB and JT are... except for THIS.
I do believe that this is finally what they were looking for. Bono says that there is no line on the horizon And there isn't. Infinity is a great place to start in life indeed. But U2's musical horizon has: AB and JT are two lines on their horizon that they try to cross/reach with every new album. And with No Line on the Horizon, U2 finally did it.
This is the third line.
There is three lines on the horizon.

MrMac
Sorry for my english.

:up:

I'll say this- I work with a guy who does something in the music biz in his spare time. We were talking about new records today, and his horrific taste in Creed, Linkin Park, and others, and he said "You know, through XXXXXXXX, I heard the new U2 record.............and it is really, really good. I mean, I was blown away."

And this is a guy fully indifferent to U2, who (as stated) has more of a liking for Creed. :angry:

I found that take very heartening- those are the most objective reviewers out there....

honestly, U2 has taken off the leash off Brian Eno's neck and let him run fucking wild in this album. Every song reeks (in a good way) of his subtle ambient touches.

As with Adam Clayton, his bass lines now drive the songs instead of just hopping along for the ride, he has certainly stepped up to the plate and shown he's an excellent bass player.

Too many other thoughts right now.....brilliant album

I should review this monster soon. But it's too much of a monster (in a good way!) for me to fully wrap my brain around right now.

Back
Top Bottom