NLOTH – why the album is a real masterpiece!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZOOTVTOURist

Refugee
This thread does not intend to go into details about the different tunes or an album review (there are a lot of those threads around now:wink:), but to look at NLOTh from a broader point of view, to see it on a wider horizon, to share opinions about this. My feeling towards the album is, that U2 and their music making producers really reached for and entered a level, where they have never been.

You can look at this fact from the musical side: The compositions are really complex, with a legion of sounds and instruments (not only Moroccan drums, but even classical ones as Cello, Strings, French Horn) fixed to exact the timing, where they are thought to have the desired effect. There are walls of sounds to be built, while you find also the moments of near silence. There are breaks and harmony changes, that surprise you, push you out of the songs – only to draw you in a second later. U2 really are seducing us this time. And: You can actually hear every band member crystal clear – with the feeling, that Larry, Adam and The Edge are nearly always doing something, are always spot-on. Plus: Every song, though puzzled together from the different jams, was given space. Every tune has air to breathe, to make instrumental parts possible, even to let the guitar in its various colours 'sing' alone to the tune. And every track has a real ending, no tune has been faded out –so U2 create even a kind of live atmosphere. Listen to the album alone in the dark – and you known, what I mean ...

Another perspecive is the way of songwriting and singing, that Bono delivers. The point, what lyrics he does sing - but also, how he does this. Bono is giving it all, singing high volume, singing with timbre, with falsetto – even giving us a laugh, while belting out his "craziness tonight". There is the full throttle, reflective, medidative voice – and the shouter, the classic story-teller and the crowd-teaser. there are the different personae, the different characters, Bono successfully creates by 'being' them in the songs – so successful, that we become them, too. You get the picture, this singer knows, what he wants to sing, he's found his voice, he's born to sing for us (as he even admits in one tune).

My conclusion can only be: Such a perfection, such an overwhelming and challenging, even kind of cathartic and esoteric-religious effect on me, U2 only have achieved on very rare occasions in the past. Always then, when they really have created a masterpiece (which by the way has nothing to do with a commercial masterpiece, or the kind of PR-bla-bla surrounding every U2 album ...).
While in my ears, NLOTH is far better than the beautiful, but somehow unfinished 'POP', I will go further: NLOTH might be even 'better' than 'Achtung Baby' and en par with 'The Joshua Tree' – which we really can judge after a certain time, after the live versions, that lead to another level of understanding for the studio album, too. 'Better' does not mean, I'd bash 'Achtung Baby' now – which I still estimate as a revolutionary masterpiece, too. But I do see NLOTH a touch more broader, more musicality, more mood, more feeling(s), more emotional landscapes. U2 still haven't found, what they are looking for, are still curious, courageous and hungry as artists, are still on their journey towards now musical lands – and thankfully don't see any horizon there yet. Wow – what a gift, a classic album with courage for new soundscapes and the 'old' spirit of U2 at the same time. The question, many here raised after HTDAAB, the band has answered as artists: They took their time and created a new masterpiece. Congratulations!

:wave: ... and what do you think?

Sorry should give my opinion shouldn't I :wink:

Well I really like the album at the moment but I don't wanna get carried away with calling it a masterpiece yet. If it stands the test of time well then I will probably rank it up there with Achtung Baby etc. Too early to tell at this stage :D

And I was educated by the LAUSD. Its a fuckin miracle I can even read. I must be a genius.

Just wanted to add that this album sounds completely modern as well. It doesn't sound like 48 year olds trying too hard to appeal to a younger audience, even if that is what is intended. The synth patches are well chosen and the production fan-fuckin-tastic. Wow. God bless Eno and Lanois.

Your a quick reader lol.

I guess whether something is a masterpiece will be decided by the general concensus on the album in a couple of years from now
on a personal level I can say it's at least one of my top 3 favourite U2 albums

I agree to an extent... I do think that this album's deep, complex, and musically inspired. It can rival any U2 album in its diversity and daring... However, I do think that this album pulls out of that for a stretch... with Crazy Tonight, GOYB, and (arguably) with Stand Up Comedy. The songs can still be seen as good, but I feel like they pull me right out of the album in terms of my own stream of emotion. Then I'm back again for the last 4 songs. I love the first and last 4.

The middle seems like "Oh yeah, let's put some pop songs on here." I still like SUC (love the second half of it), but in terms of listening to the album, the middle droops and takes this album out of masterpiece territory.

The middle seems like "Oh yeah, let's put some pop songs on here." I still like SUC (love the second half of it), but in terms of listening to the album, the middle droops and takes this album out of masterpiece territory.
I totally disagree.I think the album dies on its arse at the 'Fez' stage and ends with the woeful COL.Apart from that its a good solid release for a bunch of old codgers :lol:

BsB

I totally disagree.I think the album dies on its arse at the 'Fez' stage and ends with the woeful COL.Apart from that its a good solid release for a bunch of old codgers :lol:

BsB

Ok, cool. I just think the last 4 songs have everything... sonic experimentation, a moving and unique ballad, a pretty tight rocker with a decent outro and sweet lyrics, and a closer that puts the last few to shame and ends the album on an apt note.

:wave:

Agreeance with this thread.

Also, I think Bomb will be looked at differently in say, 5 or 10 years. The hate right now is out of control for Bomb, like a snowball. The snow will melt eventually.

I think it's the ultimate U2 album and somehow it scares me to think about that.

It may be the most complete, cohesive albums they have done. It's brilliant in terms of music and instrumentation, as well as in terms of vocals, lyrics and atmosphere.

Even though I'm not a fan of Crazy Tonight I have to say that every song on that album fits perfectly and needs to be there. The beginning and the end of the album are very complex, tight and dense, there's a little space in the middle where you can relax and just feel a little more lighthearted.

The album is full of passion and emotion, it's dark, yet hopeful, it's moving. It does something to me on an emotional level, thus it must be great. The lyrics are interesting, too.

One great thing about the album is that it combines familiar stuff with new and unexpected stuff. There's so much to discover on the album, so many layers, it invites you to listen again and again and again.

I've listened to the album around 5-6 times now, all the way through and I really do think it's one of their best.

The last time I listened to NLOTH I noticed the many subtle moments, the additional rhythm guitar on top of Edge's lead guitar and Adam's bass, the acoustic instruments and the number of layers that make the songs a lot more complex than the last 2 albums.

This is what will give NLOTH longevity, because it's more dense and complicated, plus there is a great range of songs and styles, both in the music and Bono's vocals, so I totally agree with ZOOTVTOURist's views and observations.

Even if POP wasn't the finished article, everytime I listen to it I realise it is a very good album, maybe ahead of it's time. Not all of it worked, but what I enjoyed was the experimentation, the new sounds etc, it's not a boring album. Whereas I found the last 2 albums too simplistic and stripped down, which was their intention. This worked well for their big hits, but for the songs that weren't that great, I got bored with, which hasn't happened with any album pre-POP

It is very hard to compare NLOTH to two albums released a long time ago, which are held in such great esteem and has a great deal of sentimentality and nostalgia for many people, so for these reasons alone NLOTH is not better or greater than these albums, it goes beyond individual songs, the albums overall, the general quality etc.
I put JT and AB together as U2's best albums, I can never choose between them and at the moment I put NLOTH as my third favourite.

It is very hard to compare NLOTH to two albums released a long time ago, which are held in such great esteem and has a great deal of sentimentality and nostalgia for many people, so for these reasons alone NLOTH is not better or greater than these albums, it goes beyond individual songs, the albums overall, the general quality etc. I put JT and AB together as U2's best albums, I can never choose between them and at the moment I put NLOTH as my third favourite.
:up: – and thanx for sharing your point of view ...

I think it's the ultimate U2 album and somehow it scares me to think about that. ...One great thing about the album is that it combines familiar stuff with new and unexpected stuff. There's so much to discover on the album, so many layers, it invites you to listen again and again and again.

How comes your emotion, this may be U2's 'ultimate album'? Because of the mood, the record delivers? Or is it just this ususal "everything has an end"-depression, that has always surrounded creative outputs?:wink:

Eh, let's give it time.

I think it's their strongest effort since AB. But the problem is U2's always fighting against its own rich history - will the critics be willing to let NLOTH above War/UF, or even next to JT/AB ?

However, I do think that this album pulls out of that for a stretch... with Crazy Tonight, GOYB, and (arguably) with Stand Up Comedy. The songs can still be seen as good, but I feel like they pull me right out of the album in terms of my own stream of emotion. Then I'm back again for the last 4 songs. I love the first and last 4.

I've been thinking about this myself, and...you know what? Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree suffer from the same problem (at least for me). I'm not a big fan of WGRYWH, So Cruel, or TTTYAATW. I'm not a big fan of RHMT, In God's Country, or TTYW either. They fail to register with me on the same level that the songs bookending them do. Yet, I overlook their lesser quality because I feel they work in the greater context of what U2 was trying to achieve. It's the same deal with NLOTH.

There's this mentality among U2 fans these days that all the songs have to be absolutely perfect for the album to qualify as a masterpiece. I think we tend to put AB and JT up on such high pedestals that we forget they have a few mediocre songs as well.

Time will only tell if NLOTH will be a masterpiece. From where it sits with me at the moment, it has a fighting chance.

fully agree with GibsonGirl
I was about to post something similar in another thread

I always found the point of In God's Country and Trip through ... to add some different sounds to the album
and the section With or Without You - Bullet the Blue Sky - Running to Stand Still doesn't exactly scream out cohesion either

same with Achtung Baby
So Cruel, Tryin' to throw ... seem to be there more to add some other sounds
Mysterious Ways same really, but more successful
and the flow of So Cruel - The Fly - Mysterious Ways - Tryin' to throw - Ultraviolet will always remain a mystery to me

I think it's the ultimate U2 album and somehow it scares me to think about that.

It may be the most complete, cohesive albums they have done. It's brilliant in terms of music and instrumentation, as well as in terms of vocals, lyrics and atmosphere.

Even though I'm not a fan of Crazy Tonight I have to say that every song on that album fits perfectly and needs to be there. The beginning and the end of the album are very complex, tight and dense, there's a little space in the middle where you can relax and just feel a little more lighthearted.

The album is full of passion and emotion, it's dark, yet hopeful, it's moving. It does something to me on an emotional level, thus it must be great. The lyrics are interesting, too.

One great thing about the album is that it combines familiar stuff with new and unexpected stuff. There's so much to discover on the album, so many layers, it invites you to listen again and again and again.

:up:

I agree the album is a little scary in how good it is.

I agree with every word in this, except the scaring part. I don't think it scares me to think it's the ultimate U2 album, for me it's more of wonderment as to why it took them 12 albums to get it right?

I wish Bono wasn't so emphatic sometimes. I think Stand Up is a fine song, but when he sings the end of the chorus - "for your love!" - I can't help but cringe a little bit. And that bit about a child crossing an 8 lane highway on the voyage to discovery. Ugh.

On the worst moments its always Bono pulling me out of it with such nonsense. I can't think of moments like this on Achtung or Joshua Tree.

However, I like Magnificent because Bono keeps his shit in check. Very understated even if the lyrics are very average.

Lastly, songs like Breathe and Stand Up have this very "classic rock" feel to them. U2 is not a classic rock band. They're innovators. I like both the songs, but I'd rather have that cello part dominate the song rather than that pedestrian crunchy guitar.

i think this is a very good thread. the first post is right on.

and GibsonGirl, thank you for taking the words right out of my mouth about songs 5-7. when thinking about that sequence, i imagine what would have happened if they had replaced them with more ambient/Eno songs. while i personally would have geeked out for that, i don't know if it would have necessarily made the album better as a whole. no pun intended, but i think the album would have been more linear. if anything, songs 5-7 add more dynamics, more flavors. though at first, this trio stuck out like a sore thumb to me, it's starting to make more sense to me and seem like a necessary part of this album.

Now JT is of course wonderful, but would you rather have the poppiness of songs 5-7 (NLOTH) or the blustery, pompous, enomaniacal delivery of the last three songs on Joshua Tree? I have always found about half of JT difficult because of the band's sense of self importance throughout the album (Especially when I think how low they went with R/H). Now the tunes themselves are great, but the melodies and rhythms etc, are only part of the music.

If U2 were ever to call it a day :no: This is the Album I would love them to leave us with! It is all there wrapped up in a bow. Start Middle and perfect end. No fillers :cute:

I agree, it is the Album that took 12 to get it right :up: White as snow just rips my heart out, drags it along barbed wire, dips it in vinegar, heals it and puts it back in again! I adore it :heart:

Bono WAS born to sing for us, as u2 were born to give us this Diamond of an album :applaud:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom