NFL schedule/U2 Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BradF23

The Fly
Too funny - the NFL schedule was released today, and there was just a report on the NFL Network where they mentioned that U2's tour "wreaked havoc" on the scheduling process, altering the NFL schedules for Arizona, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, New England, Tampa Bay, and Washington...

Given the lack of weekend shows, I wonder how many days U2 needs access to the stadium build and tear down...

they ought to have had a draft schedule and stadium dates booked some time ago, it's their fault it was an issue tbh. they also should have had contingencies in place in case this happened. a few stadiums being out of play for a week shouldn't wreak havoc.

i'm watching a replay of the schedule show and the NY Giants have 3 straight road games (09/20, 09/27, 10/04), they made a comment about Springsteen (who isn't on ticketmaster anywhere near those dates) but nothing about U2 (who plays on the 24th and 25th). NFLN is replaying the show all night long, i'll DVR it and catch it in the morning.

-dan

To make up for it, U2 should've offered up use of the Unforgettable Firedome....that is, unless the Lemons or the Flys were playing that weekend.

To make up for it, U2 should've offered up use of the Unforgettable Firedome....that is, unless the Lemons or the Flys were playing that weekend.

:D

And U2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the NFL. Wreak havoc as much as you want, boys.

The NFL didn't budge on Philly. The weekend between NYC and DC contains a Saturday Temple game at the Linc and a Sunday Philadelphia Eagles game at the Linc.
The Linc has it tougher than all of the other stadiums listed because it hosts a college football team as well. With that said, there are two early fall weekends where there are no football games scheduled and they could have hosted the tour: 9/12-13, and 10/3-4. I don't think anyone could fault them for selecting Chicago for the weekend of the 12th, but for the 10/3-4 weekend, effectively they decided to play Charlottesville and Raleigh instead of Philadelphia.

Too funny - the NFL schedule was released today, and there was just a report on the NFL Network where they mentioned that U2's tour "wreaked havoc" on the scheduling process, altering the NFL schedules for Arizona, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, New England, Tampa Bay, and Washington...

Given the lack of weekend shows, I wonder how many days U2 needs access to the stadium build and tear down...

How did it wreak havoc for Atlanta? The concert is on Tuesday. Would this have to do with a Monday Night Football game?

The Linc has it tougher than all of the other stadiums listed because it hosts a college football team as well. With that said, there are two early fall weekends where there are no football games scheduled and they could have hosted the tour: 9/12-13, and 10/3-4. I don't think anyone could fault them for selecting Chicago for the weekend of the 12th, but for the 10/3-4 weekend, effectively they decided to play Charlottesville and Raleigh instead of Philadelphia.

The funny thing is that the Eagles played at home every other weeekend last year and this year they have back to back home games on the 20th and 27th. Part of me thinks they might have done that purposely

The NFL didn't budge on Philly. The weekend between NYC and DC contains a Saturday Temple game at the Linc and a Sunday Philadelphia Eagles game at the Linc.

So that means the NFL has first dibs on bookings and dates. The original post implies otherwise.
And it's interesting (as mentioned), that the weekend after DC is open for the Philly stadium. They also scheduled the Jets at home that Sunday after the first two shows, so a 3rd NJ show was not possible.

The funny thing is that the Eagles played at home every other weeekend last year and this year they have back to back home games on the 20th and 27th. Part of me thinks they might have done that purposely

Back to back home games are extremely common in the NFL.

Wasn't Jeffrey Lurie once quoted as saying "Coldplay rules, U2 drools"?
That could explain things.

To think otherwise is folly. In most cases the NFL team is the owner of the stadium, of course the team schedule is going to be first priority.

I agree. I wonder why they skipped Philly the weekend of Oct. 3/4 (when the stadium is vacant), and opted for Raleigh instead.

To think otherwise is folly. In most cases the NFL team is the owner of the stadium, of course the team schedule is going to be first priority.

Right. And booking a U2 show in there is just a huge BONUS $ on top of that so they probably are very motivated to make it work both ways. I can't imagine what it costs to book a stadium, anyone know? Of course U2 can handle it. But yeah I'm sure the stadium owners won't turn down a u2 show if they can fit it in somehow.

What? First of all, having no back-to-back home games is much rarer than not. Second of all, what motivation would they possibly have to do it purposely?

I expected this to happen. My annoyance is that they didn't try some other time and instead opted numerous times to go to much smaller areas instead of Philly (i.e.: VA and NC after DC instead of Philly).

What? First of all, having no back-to-back home games is much rarer than not. Second of all, what motivation would they possibly have to do it purposely?

I expected this to happen. My annoyance is that they didn't try some other time and instead opted numerous times to go to much smaller areas instead of Philly (i.e.: VA and NC after DC instead of Philly).

Did Harry Kalas do Eagle games as well as Phillies games?I am a diehard Eagle fan and would like to say that U2 still should have booked a show in Philly for their fans,just like they should have had one Bay Area date too.

Did Harry Kalas do Eagle games as well as Phillies games?I am a diehard Eagle fan and would like to say that U2 still should have booked a show in Philly for their fans,just like they should have had one Bay Area date too.

No, the Eagles' announcer is another great, Merrill Reese. He's not on the level of Harry (who could be?), but he's still loved around here. Here's a clip of Merrill:

YouTube - 14 second scramble Donovan Mcnabb

it gets me pissed every time i think about how they skipped philly for those small places. Damn eagles, they wont even be good this year. I hope they don't add a show now, cause i am broke off of coldplay tickets. Just come early next year. OR do an arena tour in the winter. I think it is incredibly dumb how they did the tour this time. Go on a incredibly short tour the summer your new album comes out, when all the buzz is. Then come back the NEXT friggen summer and do a bigger tour when people mostly don't care about that album anymore. DUMB

Well, there will be another album for next year, so interest will probably still be high.

Back
Top Bottom