Next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're all friends here....besides, us old folks need to stick together. Share and share alike! :)

Oh, gosh, it was so long ago who can re.....MAY 15TH, 1987. :)

Cool! The Meadowlands? They did like 5 or 6 nights there during that first leg. I got to see 4 of those NJ shows. May 15th was the only show I didn't see...I needed a break!

I hated how half the section I was sitting in left to go get beer during Unforgettable Fire at Toronto 1. Pisses me off. Also during Zooropa at Toronto 3. Anyways want to see Acrobat, UV, The Fly, Numb and some random deep cuts on the next tour. Hope that they do arenas, like Elevation. Or maybe a mix of stadiums and arenas, like Zoo TV. Oh god, now I'm getting excited!!!!

I really wonder what we'll see from NLOTH on the next tour.

I'd imagine "Crazy Tonight" in it's original incarnation will be played at some point. I also have to think we haven't seen the last of GOYB, Magnificent and MOS. The rest of the album has little chance of ever being played again.
I wouldn't be surprised if NLOTH goes the way of POP and they don't play anything from it. Especially if the next album is a hit.

I'd imagine "Crazy Tonight" in it's original incarnation will be played at some point. I also have to think we haven't seen the last of GOYB, Magnificent and MOS. The rest of the album has little chance of ever being played again.
I wouldn't be surprised if NLOTH goes the way of POP and they don't play anything from it. Especially if the next album is a hit.

I agree that NLOTH is likely to go the way of Pop, but if they do keep any, of all the songs I hope it's not Crazy Tonight. I've never cringed as much or felt more embarrassed for U2 than during those excruciating few minutes. Having said that, 360 was only my third tour, so maybe I haven't been round long enough to feel more embarrassed!

I won't be shocked if Boots becomes only the second-ish* lead single to not be played on the second tour after its release. Even Elevation featured a handful of Pop songs initially, though they gradually reduced in number. If the next tour is an arena tour, I think NLOTH songs have a better chance than if it's a stadium tour. Arena, I'd predict a few songs to be in the running for at least rotational play - possibly up to half the album (NLOTH, original Crazy Tonight, and Breathe are not hopeless cases in that sort of circumstance). However, stadiums, I'd doubt anything other than Magnificent (rousing single) and MOS (band favourite) and possibly Boots would have a chance.

*Neither The Fly nor Numb were performed on Popmart, the second tour to take place after either of their releases.

What songs are due to make a surprise appearance on the next tour (a la The First Time, Zooropa, The Unforgettable Fire, An Cat Dubh, Your Blue Room, Scarlet, etc)?

I'm thinking that we'll hear from:
-So Cruel
-Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
-Stand Up Comedy
-Two Hearts Beat As One
-The Wanderer

Stand Up Comedy seemed like one of those songs that would be improved upon in a live version. It really thought they'd play it live at some point. I don't hate it as much as most on this board, however.

I agree they need to let "secondary hits" like WGRYWH, 2hearts and Discotheque come to the forefront a little more.

I enjoyed that part of the show too. And it gave Larry the rare chance to interact with the crowd. I think a lot of people who didn't like it just aren't dance music fans. However, U2 are dance music fans, so there you go. They obviously were having a blast! That was especially fun to see.

I grew up with house/techno/trance/electro and so on. The remix was fun, but it was actually pretty bad 'dance' music. I give them respect for trying something different though.

I think a lot of people who didn't like it just aren't dance music fans.

I take your point, and I can imagine that some might find it irritating coming from a more rock-focussed background. It's not the case for me though. I got into U2 in 1997 because of Pop, and loved the remixes from that era, a time when I was listening to everything from The Chemical Brothers to Fatboy Slim to DJ Shadow, and electronica still plays a big part in my listening habits (some house-based stuff like Gold Panda and a bit of dubstep). In fact, one of my favourite things about the NLOTH era was the Wonderland mix of Magnificent, which is great.

Crazy just didn't do it for me - and their apparent enjoyment of the song just made me more embarrassed. Each to their own I suppose!

The actual remix itself I found just 'okay', but count me as someone who enjoyed it a lot live too. With the beat and the band members running around, it pumped a bit of life into the show and what was otherwise just an average song itself. Gotta love the 'Discotheque' references on the last tour leg too!

I take your point, and I can imagine that some might find it irritating coming from a more rock-focussed background. It's not the case for me though. I got into U2 in 1997 because of Pop, and loved the remixes from that era, a time when I was listening to everything from The Chemical Brothers to Fatboy Slim to DJ Shadow, and electronica still plays a big part in my listening habits (some house-based stuff like Gold Panda and a bit of dubstep). In fact, one of my favourite things about the NLOTH era was the Wonderland mix of Magnificent, which is great.

Crazy just didn't do it for me - and their apparent enjoyment of the song just made me more embarrassed. Each to their own I suppose!

Maybe then it's some from both ends of the spectrum, since you and Vlaco as big dance music fans also didn't like it. :hmm: Maybe you are more picky about it (no offense meant there, I just mean you are more selective on what you like in the genre). So while me and U2 were just jumping around having fun, you were analyzing the music. :wink:

Maybe then it's some from both ends of the spectrum, since you and Vlaco as big dance music fans also didn't like it. :hmm: Maybe you are more picky about it (no offense meant there, I just mean you are more selective on what you like in the genre). So while me and U2 were just jumping around having fun, you were analyzing the music. :wink:

Ah, now you're on to me. Will leave the notebook at home and bring the glo-stick the next time! :wink:

I don't like remixes or dance music very much, but I really enjoyed the Crazy remix live. It was a great moment of craziness (haha), but if the whole show had been like that, it would have been too much.

not a fan of remixes

I loved the Crazy remix on the tour- every night that segment of the show left me a bit dazed- Vertigo- Blinding Lights- Crazy- 15 minutes of jumping about like a looney!

as for the next tour- if they do arenas I hope they also do them in Europe not just North America (a la Vertigo tour)- but I'd also be happy for them to wheel out the Claw again for the next tour

I'm not a big fan of Pop so aside from Gone or Staring at the Sun I don't care whether they play the other tracks or not- I did see them on Pop Mart so have seen those songs live.

I was happy with the setlists I saw on the last tour- they ticked off a couple of the biggest songs for me- MLK and Unforgetable Fire and I enjoyed hearing the NLOTH tracks as well- and I discovered the magic of Bad as well

I fucking love dance music and whilst I am desperately hoping U2 doesn't release anything from the Red One or Will.I.Am sessions (I look forward to not liking them Von Schloopy, if you're around) I loved the Crazy Tonight remix. As djparky said above, that section of COBL-Vertigo-Crazy Tonight-SBS was always great fun.

I fucking love dance music and whilst I am desperately hoping U2 doesn't release anything from the Red One or Will.I.Am sessions (I look forward to not liking them Von Schloopy, if you're around) I loved the Crazy Tonight remix. As djparky said above, that section of COBL-Vertigo-Crazy Tonight-SBS was always great fun.

The tone-deafness by U2 (no pun intended) in having SBS follow those other ridiculous songs (especially Crazy Tonight) is actually pretty staggering, and is a great example of how much SBS has just become another fist-pumping stadium anthem whose words and thematic material has become largely meaningless. It was probably the worst moment of the 360 tour.

It's a far cry from waving the white flag over rainy skies at Rod Rocks screaming "no more"!

SBS had a rather valid message during 360? But here we go again people being insulted because they liked something you didn't

SBS had a rather valid message during 360? But here we go again people being insulted because they liked something you didn't

Where did I say I was insulted?

Oh, that's right. I didn't.

I said they were tone deaf in choosing that song sequence (they were); I said it was the worst moment during the 360 tour (it was).

At no time was I personally "insulted" by any of these choices. They are a rock band. When a member of U2 personally insults me (and none ever have, quite the contrary), then I'll feel insulted.

I'm sure there's things U2 has done that they presumably like that you don't. Or have you "liked" every single thing they've ever done? And for those things you haven't liked, were you "insulted"?

Odd.

I think he was saying that you were insulting cobbler in your disagreement. (Which you hadn't.)

I thought it worked somewhat. It was a jarring switch in tone, but the actual musical transition (ending of Crazy Tonight melding into the Arabic before the drums kicked in).

I thought it was a meaningless fist-pumper devoid of meaning on Vertigo - there it was a slog. On 360, there was a definite message to it again, one that I thought worked well.

I think he was saying that you were insulting cobbler in your disagreement. (Which you hadn't.)

I thought it worked somewhat. It was a jarring switch in tone, but the actual musical transition (ending of Crazy Tonight melding into the Arabic before the drums kicked in).

I thought it was a meaningless fist-pumper devoid of meaning on Vertigo - there it was a slog. On 360, there was a definite message to it again, one that I thought worked well.

Insulting everyone who enjoyed it by calling them tone deaf?

Back
Top Bottom