Next Album Rumours Thread IV - 2 Sing 2 Furious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TV on the Radio 2003 to 2008

Young Liars
Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes
Return to Cookie Mountain
Dear Science

Fuck yeah. I think they were the best band in the world during that stretch. It's a shame that they seem to be forgotten.

REMs best overall 5 year period was their first, 1982’s Chronic Town through 1986’s Lifes Rich Pageant. Throw on 1987’s Document too depending how we’re counting.

I adore Out of Time and Automatic, but then Green or Monster have to be included. The IRS years are just such an incredible run that I’ll take Fables despite the side 2 drop off because side 1 is so damn good.

It’s a shame that Pop wasn’t a couple of months earlier because Achtung Baby, Zooropa, HMTMKMKM, Passengers and Pop would be my pick.

Kanye is up there, can either start with College Dropout or end at MBDTF. I also love 808s, will listen to it over the first 3 any day.

The White Stripes had a great run from De Stijl to Get Behind Me Satan from 2000-05.

Blur had Parklife to 13 from 1994-99, this one improves every release. Oh and Aphex Twin is another where I mostly enjoy each subsequent album more than the last.

I forget if we’re including The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, or is that cheating?

Beatles: 62-67, 63-68, 64-69, 65-70
Stones: 64-69, 65-70, 66-71, 67-72, 68-73
Zep: 69-74, 70-75, 71-76, 72-77, 73-78, 75-80
Floyd:....yeah, it's cheating to include this bunch!

Blur's 94-99 run is phenomenal...include 93 and it's even better. And their original run went out on a high. Think Tank isn't a Blur album (i love it but no Graham, no Blur).

Suede 92-97 are nearly perfect.

I was thinking the same thing about Pop actually coming out in 96. Achtung-Zooropa-HMTMKMKM- OST 1-Pop would be my favorite non-Beatles or REM 5 year run. Maybe it would be my favorite overall - Pop 96 could (would?) have been better than what they released.

Last edited:
If Blur are mentioned, then it’s impossible not to mention Oasis. Love or hate them, cultural impact of 1994-98 is pretty much unparalleled:

- Definitely Maybe
- Morning Glory
- Be Here Now
- The Masterplan

You can mention Oasis, but that "run" is laughable compared to what Blur did, which is not buying into their own hype and disappearing up their own assholes, but instead just expanding their palette and getting better and better at their craft. The first two Oasis albums are juggernauts but after that they're a joke.

Modern Life is Rubbish
Parklife
The Great Escape
(self-titled)

Cultural impact in the UK, for sure. 100%. I just can’t help but picture the car in the pool from the Be Here Now cover, what a hubristic fuck up that album was. Even with those first two albums being as strong as they are, Be Here Now brings the overall grade down by at least a letter.

Masterplan is a great b sides collection. The 90s were such a good time for them thanks to double CD single releases. Thanks to iTunes for killing that off.

REMs best overall 5 year period was their first, 1982’s Chronic Town through 1986’s Lifes Rich Pageant. Throw on 1987’s Document too depending how we’re counting.

I adore Out of Time and Automatic, but then Green or Monster have to be included. The IRS years are just such an incredible run that I’ll take Fables despite the side 2 drop off because side 1 is so damn good.

It’s a shame that Pop wasn’t a couple of months earlier because Achtung Baby, Zooropa, HMTMKMKM, Passengers and Pop would be my pick.

Kanye is up there, can either start with College Dropout or end at MBDTF. I also love 808s, will listen to it over the first 3 any day.

The White Stripes had a great run from De Stijl to Get Behind Me Satan from 2000-05.

Blur had Parklife to 13 from 1994-99, this one improves every release. Oh and Aphex Twin is another where I mostly enjoy each subsequent album more than the last.

I forget if we’re including The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, or is that cheating?

I think I would add another section for REM. But instead of going back to Chronic Town, I would go from 1983 to 1988.

For me that would include 4 out of my top 5 REM albums

Murmer (4)
Reckoning (8)
Fables (10)
Lifes Rich Pageant (1)
Document (2)
Green (5)

And no, I specifically added the Alt/Modern Rock tag to avoid all discussion of Beatles, Stones, Zep, etc... :)

Beatles: 62-67, 63-68, 64-69, 65-70
Stones: 64-69, 65-70, 66-71, 67-72, 68-73
Zep: 69-74, 70-75, 71-76, 72-77, 73-78, 75-80
Floyd:....yeah, it's cheating to include this bunch!

Blur's 94-99 run is phenomenal...include 93 and it's even better. And their original run went out on a high. Think Tank isn't a Blur album (i love it but no Graham, no Blur).

Suede 92-97 are nearly perfect.

I was thinking the same thing about Pop actually coming out in 96. Achtung-Zooropa-HMTMKMKM- OST 1-Pop would be my favorite non-Beatles or REM 5 year run. Maybe it would be my favorite overall - Pop 96 could (would?) have been better than what they released.

Nice call on both.

I gotsta go listen to some Suede today. Been a long time.

Songs Of Innocence has really stood up over the test of time to me and it would have been even better with the inclusion of The Crystal Ballroom and Invisible

Absolutely. SOI has gotten stronger over time, where SOE has faded a bit with me. Crystal Ballroom would be in the top 4 for me on SOI. Add that and Invisible and kick off SFS. would have been rock solid.

Back
Top Bottom