New York

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Could anyone please explain these lyrics to me?

They got the airport, city hall
Asphalt, asphalt
They even got the police

When I first heard it, I thought it was dance floors or dance hall, not asphalt. Bono could've come up with something better.

Well, I don't know about the asphalt, but I believe the reference to "airport" "city hall" and "police" is in regards to the huge number of Irish decendents in New York and the jobs they've always held there--police, politicians and the airport that's named after Kennedy?

I could be wrong.

Elisabeth

I thought it was about the high number of Irish immigrants in public office too.

Didn't they also use prison labor to do road work? For a while the British Gov't were exiling people (mostly the Irish) to either America or Austrialia....hence that may be where the asphalt comes in. But I may be wrong too.

daisybean said:
Didn't they also use prison labor to do road work? For a while the British Gov't were exiling people (mostly the Irish) to either America or Austrialia....hence that may be where the asphalt comes in.
i was thinking that too.

AvsGirl41 said:
Well, I don't know about the asphalt, but I believe the reference to "airport" "city hall" and "police" is in regards to the huge number of Irish decendents in New York and the jobs they've always held there--police, politicians and the airport that's named after Kennedy?
Yeah, that's what I thought.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom