New Mix of Miss Sarajevo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NShaik

The Fly
What's this everyone's banging on about a new mix of Miss Sarejevo?

People have been complaining that the new mix of Miss Sarejevo on the best of sux.

I am a casual fan of the song - its not a bad song, nice tune, but it really doesn't stand up to the wealth of musical genious which makes up the rest of Passengers (except for Elvis Ate America, possibly the worst song ever written). I usually skipped past it when listening to Passengers.

Having listened to the song on Passengers + the Best of, I cannot see the difference. Could someone please illuminate this for me?

thanx

And the edit fades out a good minute before the full song does. I guess they felt any parts without somebody singing were worthless and their audience didn't have the attention span for all of it anymore.

typhoon said:
And the edit fades out a good minute before the full song does. I guess they felt any parts without somebody singing were worthless and their audience didn't have the attention span for all of it anymore.

That's a US radio edit for you...
It does not improve on the original, but it also doesn't make it suddenly a bad song.

C ya!

Marty

NShaik said:

I am a casual fan of the song - its not a bad song, nice tune, but it really doesn't stand up to the wealth of musical genious which makes up the rest of Passengers (except for Elvis Ate America, possibly the worst song ever written). I usually skipped past it when listening to Passengers.

from the recent U2 Q & A:

Bono, what about your favorite <U2> song?

BONO: I heard the other week "Miss Sarajevo," and it just kind of blew in like a breeze, you know, the way it rolls in, and then this volcano erupts in the middle, having Luciano Pavarotti sing: Dici che il fiume. Just the most extraordinary thing, and that's my favorite.

This mix is actually not a US radio edit, but a single edit period. Anyone who bought a copy of the Miss Sarajevo (UK import) CD single back in 1995 got this same mix. This mix has been around that long......really.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
This mix is actually not a US radio edit, but a single edit period. Anyone who bought a copy of the Miss Sarajevo (UK import) CD single back in 1995 got this same mix. This mix has been around that long......really.

Sorry to correct you, but this is the US radio edit. The single edit is around 5:20. The US radio edit (and the version on TBO1990-2000) is around 4:30. One of the main differences is that in the single edit there still is an instrumental break before Pavarotti comes in. I'm doing this from memory so I can't remember all the exact differences, but I'm sure it's not the single edit.

C ya!

Marty

Marty,

If I remember correctly there is no instrumental break in the single version, but the ending might be longer. However you are completely correct when you say that no matter how much they edit this song, it's still great.

Its not a bad song, but I do very much consider it the black sheep of Passengers. Just doesn't stand up against the rest of the album - eg United Colours, Corpse, Always Forever NOw, Your BLue Room, Iko Okintosho (or whatever)

Back
Top Bottom