New Article on U2's 2002 Super Bowl Appearance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they'd play Streets again. I think COBL, Vertigo and new song would be safe bets. And they'd need some sort of huge single.

I don't think this will happen again, but if it does, next year is as good a chance as any.

I think the Super Bowl needs a straight-up rock performance after Madonna last year and Beyonce this year. Fewer weird costumes and pyrotechnics and more focus on the music.

I have no idea what U2 should play if they do it again. It depends on whether or not a new album comes out this year and how popular it is.

we can look back and sneer now at the audacity and contrivance of someone actually planning and rehearsing a Super Bowl performance, but that's easy.
I sneered at it then, and I sneer at it now.

It was certainly a successful bid on Bono's part to get the cornfed mainstream white-trash American back on the band's side, if they weren't already. Not sure if it had anything to do with music.

I hate grand gestures, especially in music performance.

It was certainly a successful bid on Bono's part to get the cornfed mainstream white-trash American back on the band's side, if they weren't already. Not sure if it had anything to do with music.

If that's the way you feel, then you're clearly a fan of the wrong band.

I guess any sort of patriotic act in a nationally televised event months after a terrorist attack on your soil should be condemned, no? :rolleyes:

I'm betting either Bon Jovi or Bruce Springsteen will be more likely, maybe even Billy Joel considering the locale

Bon Jovi is a pretty good guess, has done songs exclusively for the NFL before. I don't think they'd bring Springsteen out again so soon.

Do you have any idea ofwhat the term "white trash" even means?

:scratch: U2 has always been about grand gestures. Are you posting in the right forum? lol.

I guess any sort of patriotic act in a nationally televised event months after a terrorist attack on your soil should be condemned, no? :rolleyes:

I cannot speak for The Panther but I have to say that I did cringe at that American flag lined jacket moment, only because Bono isn't American (no matter how much he may pretend that he is) and a 'patriotic act' is not expected from him. Bruce the Boss would be much more suitable for that. Anyway, overall I think they did a good job with that superbowl performance.

:scratch: U2 has always been about grand gestures. Are you posting in the right forum? lol.

I cannot speak for The Panther but I have to say that I did cringe at that American flag lined jacket moment, only because Bono isn't American (no matter how much he may pretend that he is) and a 'patriotic act' is not expected from him. Bruce the Boss would be much more suitable for that. Anyway, overall I think they did a good job with that superbowl performance.

:hmm: I don't have a problem with someone sharing their love and support for another country. And I don't think Bono pretends to be American, but has always shown an interest and love for the country.

Bono had the American Flag jacket thing going on throughout the third leg of Elevation so it was nothing new.

Also not sure that Panther knows what cornfed means, in addition to white trash.

Bono had the American Flag jacket thing going on throughout the third leg of Elevation so it was nothing new.

I think his leather jacket had that American flag pattern already during the first leg. I still have a Dutch newspaper magazine from summer 2001 with pictures from the 1st leg. In that magazine there are some shots where you can see his jacket having an American flag pattern.

Bono's very smart with the grand gesture. If you remember back in 2002, wasn't he just at the beginning of his campaign to drop the debt for Africa and asking the US for funding to help with the aids/malaria crisis there? That's when he created DATA with Bobby Shriver. I found this blurb from ABC news " In 2002, Bono, Bobby Shriver and activists from the Jubilee "Drop the Debt" campaign joined together to create a new advocacy organization called DATA (debt, AIDS, trade, africa). DATA's mission is to fight AIDS and extreme poverty in Africa by raising public awareness and working closely with government leaders and policymakers in the U.S., U.K. and throughout the G8."

Part of that was lobbying to the US government. I'm not saying he does not have a singular reason for his affection to the US. The 80's demonstrated his love with Rattle and Hum and JT. He even considers the USA his 2nd home so I don't doubt his patriotism for us for it's own sake. But, he does know how to charm people and understands that here in the US the flag is akin to worship like status. He knew exactly what he was doing and that it would evoke a huge reaction and it did! Very smart man. I also remember that this was the time in U2's career when Bono quit mouthing off about politics and even had to bite his tongue during the entire decade in order to work w/Bush. That was very frustrating to me as a U2 fan but I did love the Vertigo tour and the anti war statements woven in the production. He had to walk a fine line. I think he is very grateful to the USA more now than ever because so much progress has been made so there's a new level of love for us I think and with our current president who can blame him? Sorry for the ramble.:) :blahblah:

It was certainly a successful bid on Bono's part to get the cornfed mainstream white-trash American back on the band's side,

This is quite possibly the most ill-informed and ridiculous thing you've ever said on this forum, or maybe I've lost track.

Bono was roasted - ROASTED - by "white-trash America" for this moment. They saw it as complete disrespect to their flag and were quite vocal about how they felt about a foreigner pulling this kind of gesture.

Were you on the other side of the planet then? (wait..yes..yes, you were..)

Bono was roasted - ROASTED - by "white-trash America" for this moment.
That was quite an interesting -- INTERESTING -- way of highlighting your point.

By the way, I just talked to this cornfed, white-trash family -- they were ambivalent about the flag gesture, but enthusiastic about Bono's mid-80s mullet:
hair4.jpg

That was quite an interesting -- INTERESTING -- way of highlighting your point.

By the way, I just talked to this cornfed, white-trash family -- they were ambivalent about the flag gesture, but enthusiastic about Bono's mid-80s mullet:

Bono must be heartbroken that his blatant overture was met with such indifference.

Or, you're just nuts.

I'm one of the least nationalist people that I know, and Bono with the flag doesn't bother me. But I'm just a Hive apologist.

Big deal, just put it in the circular filing cabinet. If you ever change your mind, I think they're including those cards free with every Vampire Weekend or Animal Collective CD.

Nick, your new avatar is fantastic.

I highly doubt U2 will play the super bowl again... although it has been 12 years so i wouldn't be that stunned.

The league tends to not care about location in regards to the half time show, but they're going out of their way to make 2014 a special unique event, being the first ever cold weather outdoor super bowl, so the odds of having a new york/new jersey act are greater. I would venture to guess it'll be billy joel or bon jovi... perhaps with bruce making a cameo performance. I thought Alicia Keys might be an option, but she butchered the NBA all star game halftime, so i think she's out. Considering the elements i think they'll lean towards a rock band as opposed to a pop singer... Divas and cold weather don't mix.

Super Bowl is two fucking words.

Bono does the american flag jacket thing on the Boston DVD. He had it throughout the Elevation tour.

There's a slight chance that the league may hold the halftime show at the neighboring IZod Center to avoid any potential issue with the elements. Tough to set up a stage in snow...ultimately i think the theatrics of having an act out there in the cold will win out, but it has been discussed.

If acts of grandeur upset you, U2 might not be the band for you. It's sorta their thing. I mean... Giant moving disco lemons that transport the band to the middle of a football stadium are OK, but a jacket lining is just too over the top for you? mmm'K

I rank U2's halftime show second. Prince owned that shit.

That's all i got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom