New Article on U2's 2002 Super Bowl Appearance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They really did ruin it for all other Superbowl halftime performances, before or after. Just shows why U2 really are the best live band out there.

I'll never forget watching that on TV. That was amazing.

I think that we as U2 fans are used to epic and emotional concerts, but reading about how those performances impacted the public shows that they're a band that really knows how to do it right. It was just what was needed for that moment in time.

Great article.

The fall leg of the Elevation tour really was special. Waves of emotion rolling over 20,000 people all at once. I still get emotional when I listen to Walk On on those bootlegs.

The concerns about the tv ratings of their special and Tagliabue only approving them because of the names=two things wrong with the NFL.

Some people saying that Beyonce had the best performance ever. Don't think so, it was very entertaining and everything a halftime show should be. Destiny's Child "reunion" was really just a token appearance. Imma let you finish, but U2 had one of the best Super Bowl performances of all time. Prince too.

Typical attention span of some people, latest thing = the best of all time.

Beyonce was really good, very entertaining...but best performance ever...uh, no. There's really only so much you can do in 20 minutes or so. U2's performance in 2002 was emotional and inspiring...and sometimes Rock 'n' Roll is more than just 'entertainment'...that night it was...:yes:

I thought she needed to put some pants on. The effect with the video screens was pretty cool, but other than that, it was just another female singer gyrating around on TV. :yawn:

Great article.

The fall leg of the Elevation tour really was special. Waves of emotion rolling over 20,000 people all at once. I still get emotional when I listen to Walk On on those bootlegs.

I saw the last two shows on that Leg (Tampa, Miami) and will never forget the audience reaction to when the names of the victems were scrolled. People were actually crying and hugging each other on the outside rail. It was also proof to me that things might never ever be the same but they were going to get better.

Beyonce was really good, very entertaining...but best performance ever...uh, no. There's really only so much you can do in 20 minutes or so. U2's performance in 2002 was emotional and inspiring...and sometimes Rock 'n' Roll is more than just 'entertainment'...that night it was...:yes:

They had to rehearse quite a bit in soundcheck during the third leg to get the time precise.

Probably the biggest turn-off in U2's career, for me, is their Super-Bowl appearance.

u2-village-people-discotheque.jpg

village-people-199917.jpeg

"Also, did anyone else start getting a headache after “Single Ladies?” And did anyone else think it was weird that Beyoncé would headbang to “Halo?” And for chrissake, did anyone else notice that Beyoncé was just doing a bunch of dance moves from 2005 for 15 minutes while lip-synching and standing in front of a video board? That’s the greatest performance in Super Bowl history? PRINCE PLAYED "PURPLE RAIN" ON THE PRINCE GUITAR IN THE RAIN!

Beyoncé was better than the Black Eyed Peas. She was better than The Who. She was better than Madonna. But she did not bend time or turn water into wine. And if all it takes to enthrall America is some high-performance strutting, stripper boots, and a bunch of sparklers, I think America should all collectively go to a drag show. Because, trust me, the strutting is pretty comparable, the drinks are cheaper, and we don’t have to all pretend to like music that has been perfected by the woman who once sang “Cater 2 U” and who hasn’t put out a decent album in five years.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. Beyoncé’s emotional depth is akin to the fleeting happiness you feel when you see that one of your tweets has been retweeted by more than five people. Or that someone you secretly had a crush on in high school has requested your friendship on Facebook. She’s popular because she’s easy to like and she’s something everyone has decided to agree upon across race, class, and creed. To quote Critical Race scholars and high school debaters everywhere: Beyoncé is the shine on the rotten apple. She is the Illuminati’s co-option tool."

Rumor has it that U2 is being considered for next year's Super Bowl:

U2 possibly considered for 2014 Superbowl Halftime show?

Should they do it again? I'm not so sure. Last time was so emotional and poignant because it was after 9/11; if they did it again, it could seem desperate and contrived. On the other hand, it would be interesting to see what they would do without the added weight of a national tragedy.

^ OK, Debbie Downer. All tributes are contrived in a way. Bono didn't just spontaneously discover that, hey, there's an American flag in his jacket! Maybe he should hold it open so everyone can see it!

"Also, did anyone else start getting a headache after “Single Ladies?” And did anyone else think it was weird that Beyoncé would headbang to “Halo?” And for chrissake, did anyone else notice that Beyoncé was just doing a bunch of dance moves from 2005 for 15 minutes while lip-synching and standing in front of a video board? That’s the greatest performance in Super Bowl history? PRINCE PLAYED "PURPLE RAIN" ON THE PRINCE GUITAR IN THE RAIN!

Beyoncé was better than the Black Eyed Peas. She was better than The Who. She was better than Madonna. But she did not bend time or turn water into wine. And if all it takes to enthrall America is some high-performance strutting, stripper boots, and a bunch of sparklers, I think America should all collectively go to a drag show. Because, trust me, the strutting is pretty comparable, the drinks are cheaper, and we don’t have to all pretend to like music that has been perfected by the woman who once sang “Cater 2 U” and who hasn’t put out a decent album in five years.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. Beyoncé’s emotional depth is akin to the fleeting happiness you feel when you see that one of your tweets has been retweeted by more than five people. Or that someone you secretly had a crush on in high school has requested your friendship on Facebook. She’s popular because she’s easy to like and she’s something everyone has decided to agree upon across race, class, and creed. To quote Critical Race scholars and high school debaters everywhere: Beyoncé is the shine on the rotten apple. She is the Illuminati’s co-option tool."

:heart:

(and i like Bey and have seen her in concert, it's where PG County and Logan Circle find their shared humanity)

Whereas it wasn't contrived at all last time...
U2-Bono-2002-jacket-flag_l.jpg

and at that time, in that context, in that moment, it was perfect.

Bono is very, very good at the grand gesture.

sure, we can look back and sneer now at the audacity and contrivance of someone actually planning and rehearsing a Super Bowl performance, but that's easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom