New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find the lyric changes the most difficult part of the new recordings. I like to sing along and find I don't know the words, lol!

I will say, I sang along to Stay and my voice fit right in!

It’s not the best version of Bad, but it’s the version of Bad I have needed to hear since I first heard the song and somehow always knew was out there. Absolutely love it.

That last minute of Walk On.
Stuck is as good as anything they’ve ever done ever.
Dirty Day! I like Scary Bono.
Sometimes. Bono so emotionally nakey.
Invisible. I wish I had this song 15 years earlier than we did.
COBL.
I find God/Angels a bit over done, but it’s fucking fascinating. And the most twisted sad rainy Christmas song ever.
Little Things surpasses the first.
Please play 40 at my funeral as well.

And it was a beautiful spring day here and I drank in the sun and listened to Phoebe Bridgers so I’m emotional. So glad to have this album.

It’s not the best version of Bad, but it’s the version of Bad I have needed to hear since I first heard the song and somehow always knew was out there. Absolutely love it.

COBL.
I find God/Angels a bit over done, but it’s fucking fascinating. And the most twisted sad rainy Christmas song ever.

And it was a beautiful spring day here and I drank in the sun and listened to Phoebe Bridgers so I’m emotional. So glad to have this album.

Still needing that like button. You hit so much of what I’m feeling o these songs. When I give a few more listens I will be able to put my full thoughts down.

One preview, - just the first notes of Stories For Boys, told me it was something special. And there are more songs that I prefer over the original than I ever would have guessed. Little Things being one them.

Still needing that like button. You hit so much of what I’m feeling o these songs. When I give a few more listens I will be able to put my full thoughts down.

One preview, - just the first notes of Stories For Boys, told me it was something special. And there are more songs that I prefer over the original than I ever would have guessed. Little Things being one them.

Yeah - both posts capture my excitement. I more emotionally connected to this than I thought I would be. I’m making a playlist for work tomorrow - not many meeting so I am going to go one for one - SOS versions, then originals. Will be fascinating, as all the pre release songs made more connect more with the originals as well.

List of songs that live up to or surpass the original recorded versions for me:

- 11 O’clock Tick Tock - single version has many flaws. Love this.
- Bad - same as above
- Get Out - duh
- Stuck - more emotion, less gloss
- Ordinary Love - as above
- Sometimes - vocals do it. Love the idea of the song but never felt the album version did it.
- The Miracle - duh
- God Angels - album version is a bit of an odd one. This is gold.
- SFS - less sugar, more heart
- Lights if Home - as above

I disagree with other on Little Things. Both versions are amazing, but the album version stabs me in the chest. This one doesn’t break the skin. It’s amazing, but just not quite the same.

The fact we have posts listing songs that folks prefer to the originals is really good. I like the lyric changes too. It reinforces that nothing was sacred when recording these songs. I still haven’t got through all of it as I keep putting it on when I go to bed. But it’s all very positive so far. Happy.

There's definitely some that slowly worm around and past some of the originals so far. I won't say this is a pared-down list of my faves, but this shortened tracklist of 20 is working for me on repeated listens so far.

Where the Streets Have No Name
Pride (In the Name of Love)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bad
Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
Dirty Day
Invisible
Stories for Boys
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
With or Without You
Electrical Storm
Desire
The Fly
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Lights of Home
I Will Follow
Two Hearts Beat as One
The Little Things That Give You Away

The ending of IFWSHA is chilling. The “ice” notes or whatever it was described for style of October kinda find their way back here. It’s such a sad last min of the song. Kinda wish it would have gone one more.

I hope dark U2 finds its way back into next album (if it ever happens)

I was in Ireland once and a band got up and played U2 songs which I loved, but not sure it was a full cover band. My question has always been -- how come you can have cover bands, but comedians get mad if you have a similar joke.

I'd like to see a cover comic do George Carlin now that's he dead.

I think its a two ended suspension of disbelief. We like to think standups are being impromptu and we like to squint our eyes and pretend the cover band is the real thing.

I think its a two ended suspension of disbelief. We like to think standups are being impromptu and we like to squint our eyes and pretend the cover band is the real thing.

Yeah, something like that. When someone goes to a cover band, you might be hearing a lot of songs and know they were written by someone else. With comedians, not as many are going to know if any jokes or material originated with another person. Probably much more difficult to detect.

I was in Ireland once and a band got up and played U2 songs which I loved, but not sure it was a full cover band. My question has always been -- how come you can have cover bands, but comedians get mad if you have a similar joke.

I'd like to see a cover comic do George Carlin now that's he dead.
Ya know? You make a great point.

Ya know? You make a great point.

Finally my dumb thoughts are "seen." I love this place.

Music is all about license rights, music is reason some classic shows aren't on DVD, youtube videos get pulled more for that than anything... don't even school plays they have to pay to put on a production of West Side Story, etc?

So cover bands really hit that sweet spot where they don't get in trouble, but make a living. Good for them.

I know the main point of focus from Adam’s interval has been his remark that recording of the new album so far has been minimal, but it’s interesting to hear they’ve also been using time recently to go through the U2 archive …

Also on U2’s plate is some archival documentary work. “We’re amazed by the amount of out there on the Beatles or whatever, and there’s some real value to that material,” Clayton says. “During this whole lockdown period we kinda started to go back through our archive and develop some stuff…and put together some sort of a narrative on the history of the band. It will tell a different story of U2. I think everybody thinks they probably know the U2 story reasonably well at this point…and of course it’s only one version of the story. There are other things to our story that we’re excited to be bringing to people.”

I know the main point of focus from Adam’s interval has been his remark that recording of the new album so far has been minimal, but it’s interesting to hear they’ve also been using time recently to go through the U2 archive …

I’m guessing he’s referring to the JJ Abrams Netflix thing.

Here’s a question, if instead of this, U2 had put out an album in this style with 11-12 brand new songs, how would you have felt (assuming the songs were good)?

This more acoustic style is not something I ever felt I wanted from them, but I think my initial disappointment would turn into appreciation and I’d probably end up really liking it. Kinda wish they had actually slipped a few originals into some of the 40 slots.

Here’s a question, if instead of this, U2 had put out an album in this style with 11-12 brand new songs, how would you have felt (assuming the songs were good)?

This more acoustic style is not something I ever felt I wanted from them, but I think my initial disappointment would turn into appreciation and I’d probably end up really liking it. Kinda wish they had actually slipped a few originals into some of the 40 slots.

Good question,now I have heard the album I love it. A straight forward rocker like Vertigo has gained something new from this treatment. And electrical storm is just gorgeous,but little things is in its own league.

Forty Foot Man is delightful. I would love it.

I was just thinking how the tone of this project reminds me of some of my favorite B Sides like Holy Joe, Lady with the Spinning Head, Salome whatever the fuck that was about... Dancing Barefoot which I think is a cover right?

They do some great covers, I'd love 40 songs not by U2 done by U2.

What was that song they just did a cover of -- I have the worlds All and That in my head... it was so catchy... maybe something to do with Daniel Lois? Take That? It was some cover and the song sounded familiar, but i never heard of the band... and they just did it recently and I can't find it via google and now i'm annoyed... as most of you already know what it is.

Also, with the 100 things to watch overload and I can't even keep up... I saw this pop up on my Sirius app --

Beginning March 13, tune into U2 X-Radio (Ch. 32) to hear songs from U2’s new 40-track album, Songs Of Surrender, with exclusive commentary from the band.

See the broadcast schedule below for two specials, Songs of Surrender: A Conversation with Bono and Edge and Songs of Surrender Track-by-Track Hosted by U2.

Wasn’t that bothered about Songs of Surrender before hand but it is absolutely wonderful.

The Disney+ special was also so beautiful.

Alright you crazy kids - time to wrangle this into some order. New threads for:

Songs of Surrender discussion - promo appearances, album impressions, general chat:
https://www.u2interference.com/foru...er-discussion-reviews-impressions-223179.html

A Sort of Homecoming w/ Letterman - discussion:
https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/a-sort-of-homecoming-w-david-letterman-disney-223180.html

NEW new album - songs of whatever the hell it will be:
https://www.u2interference.com/foru...asonable-guitar-album-223181.html#post8388374

It was a fantastic song back in 2014 and should have been on the album proper and lead single, but all is forgiven now with a proper SOS release.

Right? It's obviously special to them because they didn't let us forget it through subsequent tours and now SOS. Well, as someone said, U2's gonna U2. I think they have a serious case of impostor syndrome, they believe in themselves almost as much as they doubt

Right? It's obviously special to them because they didn't let us forget it through subsequent tours and now SOS. Well, as someone said, U2's gonna U2. I think they have a serious case of impostor syndrome, they believe in themselves almost as much as they doubt

Yup, like what you did there at the end :), and I thought Invisible could have had a little more punch during the IE Tour and more of a back and forth with the audience during the Letterman special. Now if we roll back the clock another 10 years, the same could be said about Mercy. I was thrilled to get it during 360, but the original in 2004 was amazing and that version or whatever final version that was pulled from HTDAAB at the last second needs to be released on a box set someday.

Best part for me always, album / docs / tour/ forums talk is that we get to fall in love again. To me the best part of SOS is that it makes new what was old. Simple as that.

It all gets me excited again to deep dive into more and more U2.

COBL.

Love.

(Since we don't have like, love etc buttons)

Back
Top Bottom