NBA 2012-13 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What the hell is with that guy? The last season he coached, the media was saying he was in such terrible physical condition that he could hardly board a plane. Now he's ready to coach again.

He had multiple surgeries when he retired last time... But its been a few years since then.

He was ready to coach the Knicks if they had been seriously interested... They weren't.

It is an asterisk on his record forever that he only coaches teams littered with all stars, but he's still the best ego manager of the modern era. By a lot.

He "retired" last in June 2011. Not even a year and a half ago.
But I agree he's a great ego manager. The best. And yes, by a lot.

That said, I'll take Larry Brown as a pure pro coach.
Hell, I'll take Hubie Brown.
Or Chuck Daly (if he were alive). Or Jerry Sloan. Or Rick Adelman.
Or maybe Lenny Wilkens. Or maybe Rudy T. Or maybe I could keep going...

Ya lost me at Rick Adelman and Lenny Wilkens...

There is more to this coaching thing than simply knowing your X's and O's... Handling player egos, keeping everybody happy, dealing with the media, the fan base (albeit not as big a deal in LA), etc. etc.

So I think you're selling Phil a tad short... Especially when considering that one of the guys on your list, one Rudy Tomjanovich, crashed and burned with the Lakers.

A team like the current lakers team doesn't need an X and O coach (look what they did Friday basically platying street ball), as Headache said they need a guy who can manage the litany of star player egos and desires, something that Jackson is great at. One of the only other guys who I think could handle that group currently coaches here in Boston, his handling of a blend of KG, Pierce, Rondo and Ray Allen has been masterful, getting guys like Garnett and Allen to buy in to not being the top dog after coming here when they had been the #1 option their entire careers elsewhere...thats the kind of leadership the Lakers require right now.

Part of me would like to see Phil stay retired so that D'Antoni can get the job and shove it in Jim Dolan's face... but only part of me.

The Knicks are playing well right now, but that doesn't change the fact that D'Antoni got a raw deal here from his owner, his star player and a fan base that yearns for the glory days of Ewing and Oakley... perhaps the only fan base that considers a time period that ended with zero championships the "glory days," because the real glory days of the late 60s / early 70s was just too long ago for anyone to remember.

When you really think about it, the Knicks are a terrible franchise.

Ya lost me at Rick Adelman and Lenny Wilkens...

There is more to this coaching thing than simply knowing your X's and O's... Handling player egos, keeping everybody happy, dealing with the media, the fan base (albeit not as big a deal in LA), etc. etc.

So I think you're selling Phil a tad short... Especially when considering that one of the guys on your list, one Rudy Tomjanovich, crashed and burned with the Lakers.

I am not trying to sell Phil short, I just can't stand him. He's an opportunist and truth be told, as a lifelong Celtic fan, I am a Laker hater in general.
I think Phil, for all that being a head coach in the NBA includes (primarily dealing with massive egos) might be the best ever. But we can't ever say that for sure, IMO. You could give many coaches Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, or Shaq/Kobe (and so on) and perhaps they could pull off the same result. I do give him massive credit, and as I say - he might very well be the best ever - but I just can't stand the guy in all honesty.

That said, Rick Adelman has won consistently with next to nothing this side of Clyde Drexler. And I said "maybe" Lenny Wilkens. I'd give you that one.

But Rudy T didn't "crash and burn" with the Lakers. He resigned because of health issues. Otherwise he'd be coaching practically anywhere he pleased. And he had a better winning percentage with the Lakers in his short stint than Phil Jackson had with essentially the same team the very NEXT YEAR.

I'm happy for D'Antoni as I always liked him during his Knicks tenure, but I wonder if the Lakers are the right fit. Not many good shooters other than Nash, Kobe may not buy into SSOL (his admiration of D'Antoni notwithstanding), not many young legs to run an uptempo offense. But part of me wants them to succeed in order to debunk some of the myths surrounding D'Antoni.

Finding random parts that nobody else wants and turning them into productive rotation player happens to be one of D'Antoni's strengths... perhaps the only list of his accomplishments that is longer than Phil's.

He hasn't really run "seven seconds or less" since the early days of Phoenix either... that was more of a philosophy than an offense. The staples of his offense are

A) ball movement
B) ball screens
C) floor spacing, specifically the corner three.

All of these are not revolutionary concepts... just forgotten ones in the days of isolation and the dribble drive.

The big question with D'Antoni will not be if the Lakers can play at his pace, or if they'll guard anyone... the big question should be whether or not Kobe idolizing D'Antoni will be enough for him to not want to dominate the ball. He certainly couldn't get Melo to buy in... we'll see if he can get Kobe to.

GirlsAloudFan said:
Don't you fall into that trap every year?

Yes. That's why I have very little emotional attachment to them. Ellis is at least fun to watch though.

Ellis loves to shoot.

I haven't seen a Bucks game yet this year, but I picked up their young power forward Larry Sanders for my fantasy team and he's been pretty damn solid. Averaging close to a double-double off the bench, and blocking a lot of shots. Looking forward to the first Bulls/Bucks game so I can see what Sanders actually looks like in a real game and not just on my ESPN fantasy scoreboard.

larry-sanders_M_jpg_627x325_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

I don't know if it's real life, but it is most certainly mid-November.

Some recent Knicks seasons were almost over by mid-November.

Obviously, I get your point. But I'm not referring so much to the results, but the process. This is an incredibly well run team with an innovative offense and a great defense. I don't think they are better than Miami or anything crazy, but the Knicks seem to be a pretty solid and well put together team right now. Bad teams just don't beat a healthy San Antonio squad in Texas all that often.

The Knicks are for real in that, if healthy, they are capable of making a run come playoff time. Hardly the favorites... if all teams are at full strength they are at best the 3rd best team in the East... but capable none the less of making a run if they're healthy and hot, the same way Dallas made a run to win it all, or how Boston almost got back to the finals last year.

Odds are they'll win a round in the playoffs and then get bumped in the second round in 6 games.

Amar'e is the X factor.

If he can come back healthy and just fit in... oh, and guard someone... then they have the chance to be even better than a 3 seed, and incredibly dangerous come playoff time.

If he plays like he did at the end of last year, they could just as easily self combust and get bounced in the first round.

Back
Top Bottom