Nar Nar Goon, Victoria, Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For what its worth, at least on my phones news feed, I was getting more news here in the states about the tornadoes than the wedding.

I'm not SHOCKED that a country on the other side of the world didn't have it as their number one story when it was countered by such a tabloid media frenzy as the Royal Wedding.

And I still haven't quite had it hit me how lucky I am that I don't live just a few more hours south.

coolian2 said:
i still struggle to read it.

but yeah, 94-1 after one quarter. 112-33 at half time, if i'm reading properly.

How is this even possible? I could probably have done better than that...alone.

How do you define a "big" story? The wedding was hyped by BY the media, so if it's "big", it's because they made it big. People being shot dead, or killed in the worst outbreak of tornadoes in decades should be (and are) big, newsworthy stories in their own right.

I suppose if you're cynical, neither royal weddings nor disasters in other places affect most people personally, but I think that human tragedies are worth more coverage than some foreign couple's wedding.

I also understand that many people want fluff, and weddings make for happier news than death and destruction... and I daresay the various news agencies are wary of disaster fatigue in the general population.

I can't argue with any of this, you raise exceptional points. They are big, newsworthy stories in their own right and I too think they are worth more coverage than the royal wedding (whose hype did, yes, have a lot to do with the media, but didn't all Brits get a day off for it?) but it's not surprising that the royal wedding takes precedence, particularly when it comes to business.

Just look at Twitter... however many million users and the Royal Wedding was by a long, long, long way the most popular topic on Friday/Saturday.

That first quarter score of 94-1 is a record for the first quarter, incidentally, and the highest score in any quarter since 1919. Final score was 197-58 ... I think half of Essendon took a long break and didn't actually bother returning to the field for the second quarter. The Gold Coast just doesn't have a good enough team. They've been rushed into this, and god knows what the fuck's going to happen to GWS next year, who can't even seem to hold their own in the VFL right now. Can we PLEASE at least restrict expansion to viable markets with sound player bases?

On a totally unrelated note, Alison, you may be interested to know Tripod are playing every Sunday in June at The Toff. Or as I nearly wrote, in Juff at The Tone.

For what its worth, at least on my phones news feed, I was getting more news here in the states about the tornadoes than the wedding.

I'm not SHOCKED that a country on the other side of the world didn't have it as their number one story when it was countered by such a tabloid media frenzy as the Royal Wedding.

And I still haven't quite had it hit me how lucky I am that I don't live just a few more hours south.

Well, that's something. I guess it's hard to fight royal weddings.

Yeah... I have friends in Georgia and I was relieved to learn that everything missed them.

the shocking standard of some of the existing teams last year showed there probably isn't player depth for one new team, let along two.

Exactly. North and Richmond are good cases in point.

But of course nobody wants to face up to making another Melbourne team move, so the talent pool keeps getting spread ever-further to sate the somewhat contradictory desires of expansion and not causing too much conflict in Melbourne.

I think the big mistake back in the day was the VFL becoming the AFL, rather than the AFL being a wholly new tournament drawing more equally (within reason) from across Australia.

All this said, I still want a Kiwi team in my dreamland.

On a totally unrelated note, Alison, you may be interested to know Tripod are playing every Sunday in June at The Toff. Or as I nearly wrote, in Juff at The Tone.

I am indeed interested to know this, ta! :hmm: Need to find out where the Toff is...

Typographical Spoonerisms. :love:

I'm out for the night. :wave:

I am indeed interested to know this, ta! :hmm: Need to find out where the Toff is...

Swanston St, just south of Lonsdale on the east side. Same building as Cookie.

GWS are actually playing in the NEAFL, which includes all the QLD/NSW reserve sides, plus the sides that were playing in the state leagues in those states, like Southport, Belconnen, etc. And they're actually 2 from 2. They've got some talented kids, just like GC do. God knows why they randomly played the Bullants on the weekend though...

As for the VFL becoming the AFL well... they had no option really. Many of the best australian rules football players were already playing in the VFL, so a completely new, seperate league would have completely ravaged the VFL, made it inferior to the SANFL and WAFL and rendered it irrelevant. I see where you're coming from but it was the best decision, in my eyes. And the AFL is far more even and competitive than pretty much any other sport in the world I can think of.

The VFL as it currently stands is depressing. Pretty much unrecognisable from all the history of the VFA competition...

How's it my fault when I wouldn't know the first thing about industrial!

Though the atmospheric and metal parts, sure, I'll cop that.

Atmospheric and metal is totally your influence, but it's my own fault it took a left turn into industrial. But I really like the industrial. And black and death metal. ...I just realized I'm pulling the ME GUSTA face...

tumblr_lidovl3FAG1qbixnn.jpg

As for the VFL becoming the AFL well... they had no option really. Many of the best australian rules football players were already playing in the VFL, so a completely new, seperate league would have completely ravaged the VFL, made it inferior to the SANFL and WAFL and rendered it irrelevant. I see where you're coming from but it was the best decision, in my eyes. And the AFL is far more even and competitive than pretty much any other sport in the world I can think of.

While I see where you're coming from, you may've slightly misread me. If you took equally from all the state leagues (equally in terms of quality, not raw numbers), then the state leagues would've lost similar relative levels of talent and been left on fairly similar footings as state feeders to an all-new national tournament. Obviously that's hard to quantify and I've no idea if it was ever practical, but having an all-new national tournament would have avoided a number of problems we have today.

And is it really that even when you always have at least two struggling Melbourne clubs, a wayward expansion team, and the fact that new teams seem to simply dilute the talent pool rather than, well, expand it?

Oh, and I just listened to the new Fleet Foxes. Not sure what I make of it. The debut never really worked for me as a full album but has a handful of great tracks. This works much better as a full album, but ... nothing stood out to me as an exceptional track. I feel like I should like it more than the debut but in the absence of any amazing moments lingering in my memory, I don't. But that can be the nature of first listens; of course something could grow on me.

And The Shrine/An Argument is terrible.

MCR's "Danger Days: Blah Blah, Something Something, Killjoys" only gets more hilarious with repeated listens. "Let me see your jazz hands." :lmao: Oh, Geetard.

I'm surprisingly apathetic, really. Lots of reasons, but a fair amount of it boils down to the fact that I think death is too easy and prompts too much bloodthirsty fist-pumping from one side and martyr mythologising from the other. A miserable life in prison seems like a far more fitting fate, to have let him wither away in obscurity and pointlessness.

My only thought: This will make things interesting/entertaining.

thefaceofterror.jpg

The Face Of Terror.

You'd think they'd use a more terrifying picture.

Haha, that just looks like an old man on holiday. OH THE TERROR!

it looks like he's doing the "very small rocks" bit from Monty Python and The Holy Grail.

I haven't heard how much effort they went to to take him alive.

I don't really think this will change a great deal, unfortunately.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom