My thoughts on 'No Line On The Horizon' circa 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If that video was supposed to impress me, it didn't work.

(Oh yeah, and "ATM machine", like anything from the Department of Redundancy Department, makes me murderous. Excusing bad, redundant writing as artistic licence is the last refuge of the blind apologist.)

:)

What the heck is the Hive??

I have no idea either.

The Hive is a collective on Interference that "assists" other members in determining how to think about U2 and their music.

For example, upon coming to Interference, you may have thought that 80's U2 was superior to 90's U2; or you agree with the band that Pop was a mistake; or perhaps you foolishly thought "One" was a good song, maybe even better than LWTSH; you may have believed that somewhere, sometime, a song was recorded by someone that is better than "Acrobat"; perhaps you believe the band, their record label and their representatives when they say the reissue of Achtung Baby was not remastered; maybe you judged U2's music on its merits using your own individual taste, and not on how obscure it is and whether it was pulled out of mothballs for the most recent tour; or perhaps you have other things to do in your life other than to hang out in the Random Music Threads, jacking up your post count.

If you naively believed any of these "incorrect" thoughts, The Hive will help educate you.

The most important part of Hive membership, however, is to vehemently insist that your opinions are your own and that you're not influenced by others. You may even deny sharing any opinions with other Hive members. The stronger you do this, the more likely it is you're a member. Oh, and you have to take comments about The Hive way, way too seriously. If it's easy to get you worked up, you're probably a member.

Stay here long enough, and eventually you'll be assimilated. Otherwise, you're free to make up your own mind. While you have one.

I'm not so satisfied. He forgot to mention Passengers and Electrical Storm. Major omissions.

But I like the irony that the person he quoted (the OP) actually loves Pop.

If I point out that there are our Queen Bee, Axver, favors the 80s to the 90s, One is soaring through Survivor without a real challenge so far, LWTSH is not, and Acrobat wasn't even considered by Interference to be in the top third of Achtung Baby, does that help me regain my Hive membership?

Man, Lotus Plaza is boring.

I don't even like Outkast that much, but I couldn't disagree more with your "riddle".

Also, Shatner is the far superior Trekian musician, but the Ballad of Bilbo is, of course, a classic.

If I point out that there are our Queen Bee, Axver, favors the 80s to the 90s, One is soaring through Survivor without a real challenge so far, LWTSH is not, and Acrobat wasn't even considered by Interference to be in the top third of Achtung Baby, does that help me regain my Hive membership?

Are you sure about the Acrobat part? IIRC, trying to get rid of that song in the latest Song Survivor was like trying to box a zombie. Hit it with everything you have, but it keeps coming forward, drooling and uttering "BRAAAIIINNNSSS!"

The Hive is a collective on Interference that "assists" other members in determining how to think about U2 and their music.

For example, upon coming to Interference, you may have thought that 80's U2 was superior to 90's U2; or you agree with the band that Pop was a mistake; or perhaps you foolishly thought "One" was a good song, maybe even better than LWTSH; you may have believed that somewhere, sometime, a song was recorded by someone that is better than "Acrobat"; perhaps you believe the band, their record label and their representatives when they say the reissue of Achtung Baby was not remastered; maybe you judged U2's music on its merits using your own individual taste, and not on how obscure it is and whether it was pulled out of mothballs for the most recent tour; or perhaps you have other things to do in your life other than to hang out in the Random Music Threads, jacking up your post count.

If you naively believed any of these "incorrect" thoughts, The Hive will help educate you.

The most important part of Hive membership, however, is to vehemently insist that your opinions are your own and that you're not influenced by others. You may even deny sharing any opinions with other Hive members. The stronger you do this, the more likely it is you're a member. Oh, and you have to take comments about The Hive way, way too seriously. If it's easy to get you worked up, you're probably a member.

Stay here long enough, and eventually you'll be assimilated. Otherwise, you're free to make up your own mind. While you have one.

IIRC, membership to the hive also required a belief that Songs of Ascent was due to come out any day now... Back in '09.

:wave:

ps, they're called the hive now? lol

Are you sure about the Acrobat part? IIRC, trying to get rid of that song in the latest Song Survivor was like trying to box a zombie. Hit it with everything you have, but it keeps coming forward, drooling and uttering "BRAAAIIINNNSSS!"

I am sure, because the top third of AB progressed to the 1990s quarterfinals, and Acrobat did not.

my views on it haven't changed much- the first and third quarters of the album are brilliant- the middle section (CT, GOYB, SUC) is rubbish- although GOYB and CT were great in the live show.

my views on it haven't changed much- the first and third quarters of the album are brilliant- the middle section (CT, GOYB, SUC) is rubbish- although GOYB and CT were great in the live show.

GOYB in any form :yuck:

I was trying to think if there's one good aspect of the song but not a one redeeming thing comes to mind.

For me there's 2 glaring problems with NLOTH

1. Unknown Caller - In my personal opinion it's the worst song U2 has ever done. They should've included Mercy instead of this song. Obviously some people won't agree and that's fine.

2. No Line On The Horizon - they included the wrong version of this song on the album. The alternate version would've been a much better way to open the album and would have in fact worked well as a single. The album version is fairly boring.

Also I think they really screwed up with Get On Your Boots as a single let alone lead single. Magnificent should've been the lead single followed by a 5 minute radio edit of Moment of Surrender then followed by I'll Go Crazy and then if they felt like it Mercy. It would've changed the general public's entire perspective of this album. As it stands Boots was the lead single and it turned a lot of people away right off the bat. A radio edit of Surrender would've been a huge hit for them as would hav been Magnificent had it been the lead single. Really what were they thinking with Boots as the lead single?

This to me is how NLOTH should've looked:

1. NLOTH (alt. version)
2. Magnificent
3. Moment of Surrender
4. I'll Go Crazy
5. Get on Your Boots
6. Stand Up Comedy
7. Mercy
8. Fez - Being Born
9. White as Snow
10. Breathe
11. Cedars of Lebanon

Yes, and just like LASER, and RADAR, and SCUBA, and AMEX and WIFI and UFO and AWOL and SNAFU and MODEM and dozens of other acronyms are today commonly used as words. No one blinks an eye when ESPN is referred to as a network. Or when people say PAC center, as you pointed out. It's stupid, move on.

Of all the inanities in some of Bono's lyrics, why some people choose to fixate on this is truly bizarre.

I agree. the fact people whine about the lyric "ATM machine" is a complete joke. People say "ATM machine" all the time.

I rarely ever post here anymore and after reading through this thread I can kinda see why

Submarine is used in the lyrics

Larry has some cool fills

:reject:

Submarine is used = :lol: Why I outta:madwife::wink:

Larry has cool fills = excellent point :rockon:

There is officially one redeeming factor in the song, actually Adam is good also.

That is exactly how I feel. The live versions could redeem the songs, especially GOYB, but it's irritating to have them on the album. Stand up Comediy is fun, though, I like the song, but not in the context of NLOTH.

Back
Top Bottom