Mothers Of The Disappeared for Chile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2mixer

War Child
Last time the guys played there they had the balls to play this track AND let the mothers on stage - the broadcast version of the concert had THE MOST emotional moment EVER at a U2 concert (beats the Sarajaevo broadcast for me).

What d'ya think?

I was there that unforgettable night, and indeed I felt loss for words, really :heart:

I never liked Pinoched and all his dictatorship, my parents (I wasn´t born in 1973 but I grew up in the early 80´s) told me carefully well the history, all things that were happening unofficially, because the military goberment of Pinochet always managed to deny the horrible reality: thousands of Chileans killed, tortured, dissapeared, etc :sad:. And many of them were tortured, killed or dissapeared at Estadio Nacional, yes, the same one in which U2 performed their most wonderful Pop Mart show.

I was so happy when in 5 October 1988 the country said NO to that butcher :up:

Sadly, after going back to democracy in 1990 Pinochet wasn´t punished at all, he kept going with full powers as always :( and that gaves me angry, really.

When U2 came to Chile, first they made a conference press at the airport, in which Bono pointed out that "I´m not fan of Pinochet".

Then, at the gig, the band made several little omages to very significative people of our culture, like Victor Jara, Pablo Neruda and finally the actual Mothers Of The Dissapeared came on stage with the band, and later Bono said the the only thing that was planned was the precense of the Mothers on Stage. All the other things happened during the real show, I mean, the mothers going on circles, the mothers saying words silenced for decades to the audience, etc :heart:

Indeed, IMO that has been the most poingnant moment of any U2 concert, beyond words. Now the moment is event more significative, because Sola Sierra (the mother that made the huge with Bono at the end of One) died a couple of years ago, and he couldn´t find justice :(

Curiously, Pinochet has been out of the news...until today, because he´s procesed by several crimes releated both with human rights and fraud with money, banks, passports, etc.
Today is the 90th birthday of that murder :mad:

You know, a while ago I thought that playing Mothers Of Dissapeared in the next 26 February 2006 (well, I didn´t know the date at that time) would make no sense, due the terminal decline of Pinochet´s figure, but today again it acquires huge emotionality and meaning again, because of the justice taking processes against Pinochet FOR THE FIRST time here in Chile.

Let´s see what will happen at Estadio Nacional, and I´ll be there to tell you :wave:

Definately possible considering how this tour has gone. The version they did for Popmart was pretty simple and they could repeat that pretty easily.

What I'm more curious to see is if One Tree Hill appears in full band form for New Zealand and Australia. I think its a possibility as well.

menelaos said:
As I heard Bono in a TV show, half the stadium was not so happy with that protest thing...
Is it true...?

No, that´s not true at all. Just about 20% of the Stadium (mostly posh people from expensive seats), but I can guarantee that all people standing at the field were with U2 at night, including me :heart:

Bono once said they were lucky to leave that show alive..

I fear they will most likely not play Mothers, but will play One Tree Hill in AUS / NZ.

Clearly I hope they play both as they are two of my favorite songs

menelaos said:
As I heard Bono in a TV show, half the stadium was not so happy with that protest thing...
Is it true...?

That's what I heard too. They got mad because they thought Bono didn't really understand the issues.

ponkine and what is Bono going to say now at the airport?
"im not a fan of Fujimori"
Larguen ya ese criminal! :madspit:

ponkine said:

No, that´s not true at all. Just about 20% of the Stadium (mostly posh people from expensive seats), but I can guarantee that all people standing at the field were with U2 at night, including me :heart:

you can't say that...you don't know...

because people in expensive seats have money they're supose to like Pinochet?.. and the "poor", the "people" in the field don't?...that's a bad conception.

if you ask me, yeah, it was amazing...but when they began to cal for their sons... that was too much

you can hear the cheers adn the booing when they start to talk...it was wierd, and NOT BECAUSE PEOPLE WITH MONEY ARE FOR PINOCHET, but because (and thisis how I feel), that thing was nice,but stilll, this is a rock show...

we already had Amnesty International here...

I was, there, 13 years old, in the field, and as you, didn't lived that period...as you, I was told what to think...and frankly, I don't care... I wan't to look into the future, not live 30 years ago like some poeple still do.

sure, thay have the right to fight for what they want.... but that was too much...

hopefully U2 will play the song, but please don't bring the mothers to the stage AGAIN

I really can't wait for Pinochet to die...but not because of what he did, but because him, Gladys Marin,Sola sierra,and a lot of people just by being alive make this country hit the breaks and go back 30 years ago... when noneof this people, and manymore, in the goverment (Vidal) or not (trivelli) stop the crying, this country will move on...there's nothing we can do about those dissapeared... they're either dead or hidden in other countries (yes, this is true)...

and really... to go forward into the future, sometime you have to deal with the past...that's what bono said...I say: "enough of the past...lets roll into the future"

vote Pepo, 2018 :rockon:

I agree that sometimes its better to "let sleeping dogs lie" and remember the past and learn from the past, but to move forward into a brighter, hopeful future.

I wish your country all the best and I'm sure as a people you will choose the right path for you, your country and its history.

:D

so one this this counrty will go... where no country... has gone... before... *cue StarTrek music and HERO pose*

:wink:

:reject:

I sure as hell hope they play Mothers Of The Disappeared after Bullet. It would sound beautiful with Edge on piano. What would be even more beautiful is the transition between the people singing "El pueblo vencera" fading into the intro of Streets. :drool:

After reading pepokiss' post, I find it kind of funny now that Bono left out the "is it too late tonight to drag the past out into the light?" line from "One" that night.

eh.. typhoon... he's Bono... I think he forgot the lyric

:wink:

you can hear him going into another line, then realizing, and then shut up

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom