Mother Jones - Bono Bites Back - May 1989

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonocomet

Blue Crack Distributor
Did some scanning today and don't remember seeing this one posted before, at least for a long time anyways. :)

MotherJonesMay19891cover-1.jpg

MotherJonesMay19892-1.jpg

Yeah...I mean, you admit to "experimenting" but you don't want to talk about actually doing drugs?

:uhoh:

Do you belive there is such a a things as drug use as opposed to abuse?
I do belive there could be.

:|

Anywho...the rest of the interview was AMAZING, one of the best ones by B I have ever read!

Someone has to do a "Mother Jones Article - Revisited" type of interview with Bono now. That journalist needs to ask Bono the same questions, and see his response. Because I doubt he will give the same answer.

As usual I'm too late for some great posts. I read this article first today and had to check if there was something about it here. I love it when interviewers are sharp without being obnoxious, just observant enough to keep the interview-object on edge.
Bono spells it out about the drug use, if he had given a "yes" that left no doubt, there could be a feeble mind thinking "Oh, it didn't harm Bono, so it won't harm me then." Something like that. It's great when Bono is forced to be more direct with his answers, he does tend to sneak away a little sometimes I think.

I recall a SPIN interview around the same time when Bono gave almost the same answer regarding the drug question. What's interesting is that if he NEVER did drugs, he wouldn't have to side-step this question at all. Bad Bono. :tsk:

:sexywink:

What I found far more fascinating was all the discussion about not having an ironic persona, AIDS as a topic for songs, more flash, etc. This early 1989 interview, now seen in hindsight, is already providing the foundation for what was to become AB and ZOO TV. It's clear to me that even if R&H was loved by all, Bono still felt very exposed. That's of his own doing, of course, but maybe the movie finally revealed to him how exposed he really was. In other words, I feel AB/ZOO TV was inevitable.

As a side note, some of this is very amusing. As much as I cringed at Bono's "We're applying for the job as best band in the world" back in 2000 and 2001, reading some of these 1989 comments were also cringe-inducing. Comments like "U2 are the best thing in the 80's" - even if correct - are not exactly humble. LOL! No wonder Bono has this reputation. I was often on his side wondering where some of these egomaniac comments are derived. It's clear how his words can be interpreted this way over 20 years ago.

I've always thought that late-80s Bono seems like he was an ass, and he didn't really do much to counteract that impression! He may not have really been an ass, of course, but something about this version of Bono has always irked me for some reason. Maybe it's because everything he says is so extreme and over the top. I don't know; I prefer modern Bono.

Huh, that's funny...I always thought he seemed extremely earnest and wore his heart on his sleeve to the point where I could see some people finding it nauseating :lol:

Not me of course though ;)

I recall a SPIN interview around the same time when Bono gave almost the same answer regarding the drug question. What's interesting is that if he NEVER did drugs, he wouldn't have to side-step this question at all. Bad Bono. :tsk:

:sexywink:

What I found far more fascinating was all the discussion about not having an ironic persona, AIDS as a topic for songs, more flash, etc. This early 1989 interview, now seen in hindsight, is already providing the foundation for what was to become AB and ZOO TV. It's clear to me that even if R&H was loved by all, Bono still felt very exposed. That's of his own doing, of course, but maybe the movie finally revealed to him how exposed he really was. In other words, I feel AB/ZOO TV was inevitable.

As a side note, some of this is very amusing. As much as I cringed at Bono's "We're applying for the job as best band in the world" back in 2000 and 2001, reading some of these 1989 comments were also cringe-inducing. Comments like "U2 are the best thing in the 80's" - even if correct - are not exactly humble. LOL! No wonder Bono has this reputation. I was often on his side wondering where some of these egomaniac comments are derived. It's clear how his words can be interpreted this way over 20 years ago.

I didn't find the Spin interview where drugs are mentioned. Coming from a heavily drug addicted family (but thankfully didn't grew up with them) I don't mind him trying to avoid giving a straight "yes" answer. He does come off as extremely naive however when saying that if he used he would get through drug abuse ok because he has the economical resources to get help. Even for those who have managed through determination and hard work to get clean I'll say those have also had a darn good portion of luck. Luck in that matter that they didn't happen to take a dose too big or a new drug or mix that proved to be lethal.

The Spin interview I found concentrates on the Rattle & Hum period, the critics, the intentions and ego. Hating U2 - Spin magazine, 01.01.89

I find it a bit funny when reading (1989) Bono's opinions about contemporary music, he sounds exactly like all the other musicians and music-enthusiasts I know. It's like an ongoing rant that somehow never fades out. :lol: "Oh music today...nag, nag, nag, rant, rant, blah...." I always thought the "We're applying for the job as best band in the world" line from Bono was a joke though.....I mean, it must have been, right?:ohmy: After all this was after U2 had learned about the power of irony.
Yes these 1989 interviews give the feeling that the AB/ZooTv period was the next logical step, it's like the R&H critics gave the band a little shock. In the 90s Bono told BP Fallon that they (U2) had underestimated their position in the world of Rock 'n' Roll and the aftermath of R&H was the wake-up call.

The strangest bit of Bono clearly feeling exposed must have been after damaging his arm and being asked his name at the hospital. The whole incident was filmed and is now of course on YouTube. He couldn't get himself to say the name Paul Hewson, almost like something would be broken if he said it. In an later interview he said that Paul Hewson is dead but that was before he used the name when talking about Edun together with Ali. He used it then because he felt Bono took too much attention from the issue he was presenting. It sounds self-important but I think he's right, this week I'm reading his The new York Times columns and the comments, few managed not to point their attention towards Bono the rock star.

Huh, that's funny...I always thought he seemed extremely earnest and wore his heart on his sleeve to the point where I could see some people finding it nauseating :lol:

Not me of course though ;)

I don't know what it is… It's hard to explain, but there's just something about him in that time period that irritates me. The word that comes to mind is "bratty." That sounds weird, but it seemed like he was always on the verge of a tantrum (and I have seen a few videos from that era where he seems to lose his temper) and that everything he said was the most important thing in the world and everybody had better listen! But, yeah, earnest is a good word, too. :lol: He just needed to chill out a little.

I don't know what it is… It's hard to explain, but there's just something about him in that time period that irritates me. The word that comes to mind is "bratty." That sounds weird, but it seemed like he was always on the verge of a tantrum (and I have seen a few videos from that era where he seems to lose his temper) and that everything he said was the most important thing in the world and everybody had better listen! But, yeah, earnest is a good word, too. :lol: He just needed to chill out a little.

Lol, there are some moments in this Mother Jones interview were he comes off as bratty, "I'm really not interested" isn't exactly words from a cooperative interview-object. At that time Bono probably wasn't in his best of moods and from what I read the Hansa studio days wasn't exactly great times for any of the U2 members either.
They ended up with a great result though. :heart:

Don't forget that he probably felt backed into the corner due to the critical backlash of the album...in some ways justifiably perhaps.

You know what animals due when backed into a corner :)

Also, it seems likely that this feeling / attitude (that comes across as "bratty") is the same energy that was translated (in judo-like fashion) to the Zoo TV persona(s) and attitude.

In that context it is fascinating more than irritating (to me at least) and quite relevant timing with the 20th anniversary of Achtung underway!

Don't forget that he probably felt backed into the corner due to the critical backlash of the album...in some ways justifiably perhaps.

You know what animals due when backed into a corner :)

Also, it seems likely that this feeling / attitude (that comes across as "bratty") is the same energy that was translated (in judo-like fashion) to the Zoo TV persona(s) and attitude.

In that context it is fascinating more than irritating (to me at least) and quite relevant timing with the 20th anniversary of Achtung underway!

That's true, he did seem to channel his attitude and express it better through ZooTV and The Fly. :hmm: He just needed to let stuff go and not be so uptight, and thus 90s Bono came about. That really makes me better appreciate the transformation Bono went through from the 80s to the 90s. He really did change a lot!

Back
Top Bottom