Most Overrated U2 Song vs Most Underrated U2 Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Top 3 most overrated:
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Desire
Pride

Top 3 most underrated:
Love Comes Tumbling
Summer Rain
4th of July

Top 3 most overrated:
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Desire
Pride
I didn't like Horses too much, but I don't think is appreciated enough to be overrated (at least outside Interference).
Desire and Pride, I don't agree because I still like them too much, but I agree that probably I'm the one overrating them, so maybe you have a point.

Top 3 most underrated:
Love Comes Tumbling
Summer Rain
4th of July
4th of July? I don't see it. Sorry.
LCT... I can see where you coming from with this one, but I don't agree neither, not really my cup of tea.
Summer Rain, yes. I agree that that one is underrated.

---

My picks:

Over:
Magnificent. I didn't like it at first, I didn't like it later, I still don't like it. It didn't deserved to be a single.

Under:
Way too many. I'd say Elvis & America, but since there's more people mentioning it, probably is not as underrated as I thought it was.
So I'll go with one nobody has mentioned in this thread, Twilight.

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear Cedarwood Road will be underrated. That song is incredible....the full band version of course.

^:hmm:

I love Cedarwood Road too but it does seem to be underneath the pile.

Most Overrated: With or Without You - This song is really good, don't get me wrong but I don't feel like it was the greatest song that they ever released.

Most Underrated: Love Comes Tumbling - This song is pretty haunting and is very beautiful lyrically and it's just easy to listen to over and over.

Yes,

Love comes tumbling is in my to 6 or 7 best U2 songs period. It never gets old, great ambiance vocals and bass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using U2 Interference mobile app

Disappearing Act has great instrumentation. Amazing atmosphere. That one should've been a classic if they released it back in the day with Bono's mid-eighties voice. :drool:

Overrated, for me, would be the weakest track on one of their hits compilations.

Winner: When Love Comes To Town
Dishonorable Mention: The Saints Are Coming

Underrated would be a track from a U2 album that is underrated. That album is their masterpiece All That You Can't Leave Behind which should always rank in the top three of any fan survey. Around here, it ranks much lower because this forum lacks true fans.

Anyway, "Wild Honey" and "In A Little While" are both very good songs along with the hits known as "Elevation" and "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of"

In conclusion, I'm a true fan.

I think Breathe is underrated. I really thought it came off really well when played live. The drum-solo Larry plays at the beginning is amazing when done live.

Certainly that album's "grower" and one if it's highlights. It was a killer live tune as well, but the audience is never going to go apeshit for some song they have never even heard before (I'd say roughly half of the people at the North American shows had never bothered to listen to No Line On The Horizon).

Underrated would be a track from a U2 album that is underrated. That album is their masterpiece All That You Can't Leave Behind which should always rank in the top three of any fan survey. Around here, it ranks much lower because this forum lacks true fans.

Anyway, "Wild Honey" and "In A Little While" are both very good songs along with the hits known as "Elevation" and "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of"

In conclusion, I'm a true fan.
In that case; I'm not a true fan.

Overrated: "One" (great song, but come on, it ain't all THAT) and "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of" (kinda dull, when it comes right down to it)

Underrated: "Luminous Times (Hold On to Love)" (no damn reason in the world why that track is a b-side and not a single) and "Elvis Presley and America" (powerfully emotional melody and vocals, even if the actual lyrics are stream of consciousness near-nonsense)

Overrated: "One" (great song, but come on, it ain't all THAT) and "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of" (kinda dull, when it comes right down to it)

Underrated: "Luminous Times (Hold On to Love)" (no damn reason in the world why that track is a b-side and not a single) and "Elvis Presley and America" (powerfully emotional melody and vocals, even if the actual lyrics are stream of consciousness near-nonsense)

I'd say One can never be overrated. It's a masterpiece! I know it's their least musically adventurous song on AB, but that's because it's an excellent song at its core, with a great delivery.

Beautiful Day is easily their most overrated, IMO. It's their biggest hit of the past 20 years, and I've never thought it was that good. I mean, "it's a beautiful day don't let it get away" is a pretty weak line. It's not a catchy memorable chorus that gets in your head.

I don't know for underrated, it's a pretty biased crowd here that know and love their deep cuts, so most songs don't feel underrated. In this crowd I'd say GOYB is underrated - I'm one of the few who like it. I think it's just spoiled by the silly lyrics, (I know I just faulted BD for silly lyrics and here I'm giving them more of a pass, but there you go). I think it's a good song.

For the masses I'd say Discotheque is the most underrated.

Additionally, I support the recent post that Magnificent is overrated (by interference members). It's not bad, but always seemed pretty generic to me. It did actually grow on me a little recently, but still it's not a great song.

Yahweh on the other song - not a fan at all. Sorry RaisedByWolves

I'm not sure anything on NLOTH is overrated anymore. A lot of irrational hate for the album has surfaced since SOI's release.

I didn't like Horses too much, but I don't think is appreciated enough to be overrated (at least outside Interference).
Desire and Pride, I don't agree because I still like them too much, but I agree that probably I'm the one overrating them, so maybe you have a point.

I'm referring to the fact that these songs get so much radio play (at least they did when I still listened to local radio), Desire gets at least 2 or 3 plays a day on the Halifax classic rock station. It's been overplayed and overrated.

Pride is great in the studio, but the song has been done so much that even live the band doesn't seem to be able to give it emotion and punch like they used to (of course, they aren't 20somethings anymore). Also vastly overplayed on classic rock radio.

Horses got a fawning reaction among the people I knew for about ten years after AB came out. I always thought it was a decent track, but the best part of the whole thing is when Bono screws up the lyrics in the video and screams out "FUCK".

4th of July? I don't see it. Sorry.

This one is a personal favourite for me, so for me it is extremely underrated. I didn't expect anyone else to agree with this pick, but I find it incredibly ethereal and provokes images of desert landscapes when I listen to it. It's great.

LCT... I can see where you coming from with this one, but I don't agree neither, not really my cup of tea.

Love Comes Tumbling is by FAR their best B-Side, IMO (up there with the also criminally underrated Spanish Eyes).

Summer Rain, yes. I agree that that one is underrated.

Summer Rain just works so well. There's nothing particularly innovative about it but the vibe the band gets into propels the song forward in an exciting way, the lyrics are nothing too profound but they work really well, and the guitar solo is badass. Can't get much better than that.

My picks:

Over:
Magnificent. I didn't like it at first, I didn't like it later, I still don't like it. It didn't deserved to be a single.

I liked it the very first time I listened to it, because it was brand-new U2. That was the last time I had a positive opinion of Magnificent.

Under:
Way too many. I'd say Elvis & America, but since there's more people mentioning it, probably is not as underrated as I thought it was.
So I'll go with one nobody has mentioned in this thread, Twilight.

Twilight is a great pick too. I love that song. :up:

I'd say One can never be overrated. It's a masterpiece! I know it's their least musically adventurous song on AB, but that's because it's an excellent song at its core, with a great delivery.

Totally agree, it's a song U2 will be remembered for, masterpiece indeed. I don't think ONE can ever be overrated.

I'm not sure anything on NLOTH is overrated anymore. A lot of irrational hate for the album has surfaced since SOI's release.

Sad but true. I don't get the NLOTH bashing at all. For me, it's still a good album, some of the songs mean a lot to me.

Most Underrated....... WHITE AS SNOW.

Totally yes, it's such a dark beauty, great lyrics and very good vocal delivery, it puts me in a different place whenever I hear it.

"Overrated" - depends on overrated by whom, fans, the media, critics, casual music listeners, concert goers? I'd have a good few candidates, but I'm afraid they won't be very popular here ;)

Stand Up Comedy and Boots plus Crazy Tonight = Irrational hatred from the Interference community concerning NLOTH. IMO

I liked Crazy Tonight.

I didn't liked Boots and Stand Up in the album, BUT I enjoyed them a lot when played on "random" with the rest of u2 catalog. They're pretty good.

I still don't like to hear the full album because it seems to me more like a compilation of (pretty good) tracks than a cohesive album, which I find somewhat annoying and a bit boring.

I liked Crazy Tonight.

I didn't liked Boots and Stand Up in the album, BUT I enjoyed them a lot when played on "random" with the rest of u2 catalog. They're pretty good.

I still don't like to hear the full album because it seems to me more like a compilation of (pretty good) tracks than a cohesive album, which I find somewhat annoying and a bit boring.

It is boring....I'll give you that....except for Magnificent and MOS....IMO as many people like Fez, Cedars,NLOTH and WAS too....I'm not really in that camp myself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom