More Radiohead Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That first song sounds promising. Yorke's singing great as well. Bring on the album.

That first song sounds promising.

Yes, it does!

Not sure I want a cell phone recording of a DJ set to be my first exposure to these tracks. I will resist.

If I can.

It's not like I'll remember this when the record comes out so it doesn't really qualify as a spoiler for me.

My sister - you know, the one who's going on about how she's going to "party with the band" in London - said it was one of those things no one knew about until it was too late. Tickets were $15.

That's one of my favourite Radiohead songs.

It had the same fate as the other great lost classics - Big Boots, Follow Me Around and True Love Waits, along with many others that were played live and never saw the light of day on an album (well, acoustic solo version of True Love Waits is on the I Might Be Wrong live EP). They just never found a way to record it in a way that would be satisfactory to them during the OK Computer sessions. They're pretty annoying in their perfectionism.

Here's a different (inferior), slower 2002 version:

Radiohead - Lift (2002 live version) - YouTube

While we're at it, the only Radiohead full band version of Follow Me Around available, from Meeting People is Easy, interrupted in the middle by fucking interview clips, but definitely worth a watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POmiH-DvJ1U

Big Boots, a huge fan favourite... Could have been a Bond theme song (Thom still jokes about it to this day). They actually tried to record it for The Avengers soundtrack (not the Joss Whedon one, but the one where Sean Connery is dressed as a big teddy bear at one point):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_CwBqKSNno

True Love Waits, the 1995 version with Jonny's keyboards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0VaD_yoqIE

They might still turn up at on a studio album at some point. Wasn't Nude floating around for ten years or more before it appeared on In Rainbows?

You never know. But all those songs are more in the vein of 1995 Radiohead. I find it very hard to believe that the pony tail Thom will refocus his attention on these tracks. He still plays True Love Waits relatively often though.

But a boxset with studio outtakes from that era would just be... :rockon:

I've never been much of a fan of Follow me Around, Big Boots, or the old versions of Nude/Big Ideas. Maybe I just never heard the right versions, but they didn't even do much for me in the late '90's / early 2000's.

I've still never seen Meeting People is Easy.

Did you have a listen to that MPIE version of Follow Me Around before? The moment where the band comes in is spectacular. :drool:

Yeah, but everything before it is the same plodding crap from the other versions. :wink:

Wow, Lift is really good. Don't think I'd ever heard it.

And yeah, Nude was definitely kicking around a good decade before its album appearance. I have an old live version of it that is really good, so I'm always a touch disappointed when I hear it on In Rainbows. Atease says Thom considered titling it "Failure to Receive Payment Will Put Your House At Risk," haha.

I'll wait for the movie first. God knows how long is that going to take since there's no opening date for it in my country yet.
Also waiting to see The Master, fortunately it opens in DC next weekend. Probably my most anticipated movie of the year; There Will Be Blood was incredible (as was Jonny's score, of course)

iron yuppie said:
I imagine that outro is what it sounds like when you're dying, and that thought is strangely comforting.

That's what the ending of Motion Picture Soundtrack is like for me, though I can see it working with Nude too.

Anyone going to any of the postponed shows that are being played now? I'll be in Berlin on Saturday. I'm not reading any reviews or reports because I don't have time and don't want to be spoilt :lol:

I'm going to Udine. :drool:

Fingers crossed for Climbing Up the Walls!

Going to Berlin for my first Radiohead concert tomorrow :hyper:

Just put the wool gloves into my suitcase :lol:

It will be a bit colder than it would have been in July, I guess, it's just not the right time for an open air show, at least there's no rain predicted for the weekend. Berlin will have a big marathon coming up on Sunday plus the second Radiohead show, so the city will be quite packed.

I'm going to Udine. :drool:

Fingers crossed for Climbing Up the Walls!

:hyper:

1. Lotus Flower
2. Airbag
3. Bloom
4. The Daily Mail
5. The Gloaming
6. Myxomatosis
7. Separator :drool:
8. Climbing Up the Walls :rockon:
9. Pyramid Song
10.Nude
11.Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
12.Reckoner
13.There There
14.The National Anthem/Hunting Bears
15.Feral :happydance:
16.Paranoid Android

Encore:

17.How To Disappear Completely :bow:
18.Planet Telex
19.Staircase
20.Morning Mr.Magpie
21.Street Spirit (Fade Out)

Encore II:

22.Give Up the Ghost
23.Everything in Its Right Place
24.Idioteque

Well, I just got back and it was fantastic. Easily better than the Berlin gig four years ago, which was my first Radiohead show. This was largely due to the awesome setlist that is for sure one of my favourites from the tour. That whole section starting from Separator (beautiful) all the way to the end of the main set was flawless. How To Disappear was a perfect encore opener and a very pleasant surprise. Feral was one of the highlights, just a spectacular wall of sound. The visual experience and the production were also great, and it worked perfectly in a beautiful venue (the courtyard of an old Italian castle at the outskirts of Udine). On the negative side, the band did seem sloppy at times, and Thom continues to sabotage some songs he is obviously sick of (Paranoid Android). Nevertheless, the overall impression is that they had fun, the crowd was appreciative and the whole vibe was amazing.

I was hoping for Karma Police in the end since they did leave the piano in the open but they didn't use it for the encores. Oh well, I cannot complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom