More from U2 By U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Biff

U2isthebest said:

Btw, this might seem like a stupid question, but are you a man or a woman. The name is male, but you seem to post in PLEBA a lot. Just a question. Thanks!

Well, I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. :wink:

Let's just say, I prefer the mystery.:D

biff said:

Ah, I see my secret has been revealed. Now, I'll have to kill Souly instead!:mad:

:wink:

(Some Larry soon, but I don't think I can type much more right now.)

I'll keep my mouth shut next time :uhoh:

Last edited:
biff said:

I wouldn't actually seriously kill you. Maybe just some mild maimage.:evil:

Did you enter the Canucks-only contest, by the way?

As long as you give me a head start, I can deal with mild maimage.

I did! Take me with you if you win :flirt::hyper:

biff said:
Okay, here I am back at it.

I started to look unnervingly like the kid on the cover of Mad magazine. Along with the head came the teeth, or specifically my two big front teeth. When they first appeared sprouting out of my gums, I knew there was something up. Their size was obvious from the beginning, and they grew in with a kind of terrible inevitability. No matter what form of mouth management I employed there was just no hiding them, so by age seven the full 'Mad magazine' look was complete. This was made all the more difficult by the fact that my best friend Shane, a person from whom I was pretty much inseparable from the age of two, was a dead ringer for a young Paul Newman, complete with cornflower-blue eyes and perfect teeth.

Thank you so much for posting this!!!! This description is completely accurate with the picture in the book that I have seen of these two as kids!

From atu2.com's link to the Times excerpt, I like this one:

BONO It was 1976, and two things happened in the same few weeks and they both saved my life. The first thing is that I had a vision of my future. I remember I’d seen this girl when she first came to the school, very early on, and thought she looked Spanish, a rose for sure, dark with blood-red lips. She looked like she was in a pool of water, walking through it. There was something so still about her, and to a person who is not still, it was the most attractive thing in the world. And that was Ali, who within a few weeks would become my girlfriend, and within a few years my wife. And then another amazing thing happened. I joined a band. Nothing much has changed since then. I’m still with Ali, and I’m still with the band.

One question about edge his daughter. What does she have? What kind of disease?

Edge has been going to a very rough time the last couple of years...

U2girl said:
From atu2.com's link to the Times excerpt, I like this one:

BONO It was 1976, and two things happened in the same few weeks and they both saved my life. The first thing is that I had a vision of my future. I remember I’d seen this girl when she first came to the school, very early on, and thought she looked Spanish, a rose for sure, dark with blood-red lips. She looked like she was in a pool of water, walking through it. There was something so still about her, and to a person who is not still, it was the most attractive thing in the world. And that was Ali, who within a few weeks would become my girlfriend, and within a few years my wife. And then another amazing thing happened. I joined a band. Nothing much has changed since then. I’m still with Ali, and I’m still with the band.

so sweet he is .....:sad: its nice that he says these things and even if they are not directly to her at least she can read them.

U2girl said:
I remember I’d seen this girl when she first came to the school, very early on, and thought she looked Spanish, a rose for sure, dark with blood-red lips. She looked like she was in a pool of water, walking through it. There was something so still about her, and to a person who is not still, it was the most attractive thing in the world.

They say opposites attract.
That's a beautiful image he has of the moment he first saw her.
:heart:

That's a somewhat edited quote, by the way. The reason she looked like she was walking through a pool of water is because he (Bono)was sitting on the back of his friend's motorbike, and he turned and saw her through the heat haze that was coming from the exhaust. Strangley, it actually makes the image more poetic, not less so.
If I have time later, I'll type out the complete version.

biff, :bow: thanks a million for all the quotes, they're really great! :D:up:

I'm still waiting for my own (deluxe) edition to arrive... :hyper:

Souly said:
She's a girl.

And I always thought that "biff" was Bono's Interference identity... :sigh:

:wink:

biff said:
On his first marriage:

"We had a month off in July '83 so Aislinn and I decided to grab the opportunity to schedule our wedding. We had no money so Aislinn's dad paid for the reception. We went with tradition and opted for the bride's church, the Catholic church in Blackrock. This involved a series of sessions with our priest, since I was protestant, to make us aware of the basics: any children would be raised catholic, and if Aislinn appeared to be overspending on groceries I wasn't to get mad at her. Thus equipped for life together we were duly married on 12 July. We went on our honeymoon to Sri Lanka. We had a wonderful time at first and then civil war broke out. We spent a very nervous few days trying to get back to our hotel from a road trip, forced to drive along deserted roads after the midday curfew, only to discover it had been evacuated of all foreign guests. We had to wait a few days to get on a plane home. All of this was unfortunately portentious of how the marriage would go."

So she has always lived in Blackrock. I've seen her there a few times. Last time was about 3 weeks ago. She is v. pretty.

biff said:
On Sian's illness:

Edge: "In early December (2004), we were shooting a video for 'Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own' in Dublin when I got the news that my daughter, Sian, was very seriously ill. I told the guys, 'I've got to go'. From that moment, my world changed completely.

Bono: "Everything that we're about is community. The music comes out of the community. And so if somebody in the community has a trauma, all of us feel it. It threw everything. To see your mate with his heart broken and to see the bravery of this little seven-year-old girl...it was just an awful, awful moment."

Edge: "I don't want to go into too much detail. But my family went through some very intense times and Sian had to suffer through some awful experiences, which she continues to do with amazing fortitude for one so young. The strange irony is that when you spend a lot of time with your child in hospital you very quickly realize that there is always someone worse off than you. We always leave hospital with a strong sense of how lucky we are."

Wow...that is so sad.

schnumi said:
One question about edge his daughter. What does she have? What kind of disease?

Edge has been going to a very rough time the last couple of years...
Sorry to quote myself but i would like to know this since i never got what she exactly has.

I don't know if Edge ever confirmed this, but most sources said it was leukemia.:sad: I've heard she's in remission now, so thank God for that!:applaud: God Bless!

Currently Listening: Album/Artist-The Joshua Tree/U2
Song: "Running To Stand Still"

"What no man can own...No man can take.": Yahweh-U2

schnumi said:
Sorry to quote myself but i would like to know this since i never got what she exactly has.

not sure if I spell it right,but she has Leukemia
ook wel beenmergtering genoemd hier :)

biff said:
That's a somewhat edited quote, by the way. The reason she looked like she was walking through a pool of water is because he (Bono)was sitting on the back of his friend's motorbike, and he turned and saw her through the heat haze that was coming from the exhaust. Strangley, it actually makes the image more poetic, not less so.

:up: Yes, that sounds even better.

biff said:
On Sian's illness:

Edge: "In early December (2004), we were shooting a video for 'Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own' in Dublin when I got the news that my daughter, Sian, was very seriously ill. I told the guys, 'I've got to go'. From that moment, my world changed completely.

Bono: "Everything that we're about is community. The music comes out of the community. And so if somebody in the community has a trauma, all of us feel it. It threw everything. To see your mate with his heart broken and to see the bravery of this little seven-year-old girl...it was just an awful, awful moment."

Edge: "I don't want to go into too much detail. But my family went through some very intense times and Sian had to suffer through some awful experiences, which she continues to do with amazing fortitude for one so young. The strange irony is that when you spend a lot of time with your child in hospital you very quickly realize that there is always someone worse off than you. We always leave hospital with a strong sense of how lucky we are."

Wow. How sad. Sian seems like a very strong girl.

thanks for sharing these quotes, guys.
with each one, i love U2 more and more (if that's even possible!)
i seriously can't wait to get the book.
one thing i noticed that was pretty darn awesome was that larry said their first meeting was September 25th, 1976. I think it's no coincidence that the book is coming out on september 26th 2006. (because new releases don't come out on mondays). 30 years. coincidence? i think not =)

tuwie, I don't think it's a coincidence either. I just got my copy yesterday at the Strand bookstore here, it was the last copy and at half price too! After going through the book several times just looking at the pictures, I've decided that I'm not going to read through the book in chronological order, but look through the index and find a subject to read about. Great book!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom