MLB 2010 Part 4 - October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which Celtics fans are we talking about?

Usually Laz is referring to me, he apparently has a hair across his ass regarding my Celtic fandom and dislike of Kobe Bryant the human being...so without further adieu, my comment posted after game 7:

Clearly a sore loser post in his eyes I guess.

Maybe he was referring to you as well, your post:

You my friend, like me, are a sore loser, its evident.

And Laz is a gracious winner as evidenced by his first post after game 7:

Followed by:
and

See phanan, we Celtic fans have much to learn about good sportsmanship from Laker fans.

That actually wasn't directed specifically at you, or anyone else on this board. But since the Finals, I've read countless times (on the internet at large) complaints like "if Perkins had played...blah blah blah", without taking into account the fact that Kobe had been playing injured for a good portion of the season and was clearly nowhere near 100%.

I don't remember taking anyone to task for celebrating their various team wins loudly, or calling anyone a "sore winner". Your quoting of my antagonistic remarks after the series means nothing; certainly doesn't show me up as some kind of hypocrite. So just suck it up and hope that Shaq and the Sell-tix can do better this season (good fucking luck).

That actually wasn't directed specifically at you, or anyone else on this board. But since the Finals, I've read countless times (on the internet at large) complaints like "if Perkins had played...blah blah blah", without taking into account the fact that Kobe had been playing injured for a good portion of the season and was clearly nowhere near 100%.

I don't remember taking anyone to task for celebrating their various team wins loudly, or calling anyone a "sore winner". Your quoting of my antagonistic remarks after the series means nothing; certainly doesn't show me up as some kind of hypocrite. So just suck it up and hope that Shaq and the Sell-tix can do better this season (good fucking luck).

Well, when you post what you did on this forum, what are we supposed to assume? The logical thing is that you are posting about Celtic fans in this forum, which would be myself, phanan and a few others. Maybe next time you can try and be more specific that you're posting about folks that have nothing to do with this forum and the rest of us might understand.

Hopefully the Celts and Lakers get to meet in the finals again.

I have become significantly dumber after reading the last two pages of this thread.

Not this year. I bet they will "only" try to sign Cliff Lee. And obviously re-sign their FAs (Jeter and Mo).

I'm hoping that the Jeter negotiations become messy, just because I'm a spiteful little bastard. Pretty sure both sides realize that Jeter is worth way more to the Yankees than to other teams though.

Not this year. I bet they will "only" try to sign Cliff Lee. And obviously re-sign their FAs (Jeter and Mo).

lemme just go on record to say that would be an awful move by the yankees.

they will have to significantly overpay to bring Lee in, and give him more years than anyone else. Lee will be 33 years old next year. The yankees don't need another old arm. They need to get younger and more athletic.

lemme just go on record to say that would be an awful move by the yankees.

they will have to significantly overpay to bring Lee in, and give him more years than anyone else. Lee will be 33 years old next year. The yankees don't need another old arm. They need to get younger and more athletic.

I also don't want them to overpay for Lee and I'm scared what a 38-year old Cliff Lee without pinpoint control would look like. He could become Mussina or Pettitte, but that's not guaranteed. And even if he does, would he be worth $25 million per?

The only problem is that the rotation is very shaky for 2011, especially if Pettitte does retire. They'd have CC, Hughes and AJ. You can't expect Hughes to be better than a #4 next year and AJ, well, you can't expect anything from him. The blue chip pitching prospects (Brackman, Banuelos and Betances) are still 1-2 years away at least. And the FA market beyond Lee is really bad.

They need to get younger, I agree. It seems that Montero will be the main catcher in 2011, which is fantastic news even if he struggles for a bit. Then they have to wait until 2012, I think, to give starts to some of the young pitchers (maybe Nova can get some starts next year). Being stuck with A-Rod and (soon) Jeter until they're over 40 won't be pretty, though.

They need to get younger, I agree. It seems that Montero will be the main catcher in 2011, which is fantastic news even if he struggles for a bit.

I've heard Montero is terrrrrrrrrible behind the plate and that Romine is a more likely candidate to catch for the Yankees. Some people are speculating Montero will be a part of a trade to bring in a younger pitcher--I would mention Greinke, but apparently the NY teams are on the no-trade list in his contract.

I've heard Montero is terrrrrrrrrible behind the plate and that Romine is a more likely candidate to catch for the Yankees. Some people are speculating Montero will be a part of a trade to bring in a younger pitcher--I would mention Greinke, but apparently the NY teams are on the no-trade list in his contract.

I don't know, I've read somewhat mixed reviews. Apparently he improved a bit recently. In any case, can he really be much worse than Posada defensively? Romine's bat is nowhere close to his from what I know. I guess they should give the kid a chance. There are plenty of catching prospects coming up (Sanchez being the most exciting) if Montero doesn't pan out.

I could see him being traded, but who could they possibly get in return? Not sure anyone very valuable would be available.

it's already been reported that montero will get a shot to win the starting job next year, so yea, there's that. posada will be a full time DH for the next year, and then he'll either retire or go elsewhere.

the jeter thing... i think this talk and the cabrera stuff is just to scare jeter into lowering his price tag. in the end jeter can't get anywhere close to what the yankees will pay him anywhere else... even at a reduced yankee price tag.

is it possible for me to be more in love with the moves the mets have made in the past week?

no, it is not.

sandy alderson... GREAT hire. next, alderson today announces that he's clearing house of coaches and scouts from the minaya regime. GREAT move, one that omar himself never did. a lot of holdovers from the phillips regime were still there for omar.

and then he just makes me giddy by announcing that J.P. Riccardi will be the new assistant GM, turning down a similar offer from the Red Sox. I woulda been happy if Riccardi was the GM, let alone the assistant GM. if they can add paul depodesta to the staff as well i may just

YouTube - Jizz In My Pants

According to SNY, the Mets have hired Paul DePodesta as a Vice President of player development and amateur scouting.

DePodesta had been serving as a special assistant to the baseball operations department for the San Diego Padres.

DePodesta and J.P. Ricciardi, who was hired by Mets GM Sandy Alderson as a special assistant last week, worked under A’s GM Billy Beane in Oakland, and are key figures in the book “Moneyball”, as DePodesta was an early adopter of sabermetrics as a tool it to evaluate amateur and professional players.

In a report for Newsday, David Lennon says the hiring of DePodesta could help Terry Collins’ chances of becoming the next manager, who Joel Sherman of the New York Post believes is a front-runner to replace Jerry Manuel.

finally

ESPN Breaks Up 'Sunday Night Baseball' Team - NYTimes.com

ESPN ended its 20-year association with Jon Miller and Joe Morgan as the voices of “Sunday Night Baseball” on Monday. They declined to renew Morgan’s contract and have asked Miller if he wants to stay on as the radio voice of the Sunday night games.

It is nearly certain that Miller will be replaced by Dan Shulman, who will be joined by Orel Hershiser, whom ESPN added to “Sunday Night” last season. Bobby Valentine might be the third voice if he does not get a managing job. Williamson declined to talk about the new team.

Jon Miller, Joe Morgan not returning
ESPN.com news services

Jon Miller and Joe Morgan's 21-year run on ESPN's "Sunday Night Baseball" is over.

Morgan's contract is expiring and he will not be renewed. Miller's contract is also expiring though he may remain at ESPN working the "Sunday Night Baseball" series and postseason baseball for ESPN Radio.

"Jon and Joe have contributed greatly to the success of 'Sunday Night Baseball' for the past 21 seasons," ESPN executive vice president Norby Williamson said in a statement Monday. "Over the last two decades, Joe went from Hall of Fame player to one of his sport's top analysts and Jon's Hall of Fame voice and tremendous knowledge of the game have connected with baseball fans everywhere. We owe them our deepest thanks for an outstanding body of work."

Miller, the play-by-play voice, received the Baseball Hall of Fame's 2010 Ford C. Frick Award. Morgan, the color commentator, was a two-time National League MVP with the Cincinnati Reds. The second baseman was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1990.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

ESPN's reporters must really suck if they have to get information about what's happening in their own building from the AP

carlos bell tron does not approve.

Back
Top Bottom