MERGED --> U2 Vertigo Tour - Postponed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think everyone has the right to be disappointed, just not angry. Just as Edge (if it is him) has the right to be concerned about his daughter (if it is her). It is human to have emotions, it is what sets us apart from most of the animal kingdom. Well, that and opposable thumbs!

However, I did come home, count my blessing and hug my 6 year old daughter. If anything were to happen to her, my life would feel like it was over! It makes my stomache hurt to just think about. Perhaps we should start a thread "Prayers for Sian" for everyone to put their thought into.

Finally, I'm not a rich person and I work very hard for what I do have, I'm sure it is the same for most people who bought airfare, hotels, etc. So this is a legitimate worry for us/them and they shouldn't be ridiculed just for voicing money concerns.

We all wish the ill person and their family well, we are, after all U2 fans which proves that we have a conscience and good taste.

chicago4badcloser.jpg

This seems like a fitting picture right now. Good night everyone.

While I, as an australian fan who was going to 5 concerts am disappointed, ther is obviously a good reason and i would be much more DEVESTATED if it was cancelled, but im loving the word 'postponed' so its all good.

I hope whoever is ill, gets better, and yes i would say that to anyone who was ill or had an ill family memeber not just u2.

But to headache in a suitcase. chill out. Some people were making a light hearted comment about the support act which A LOT of aussies were complaining about. I'll be honest and say, its a freaking silver lining on something disappointing because i loathe kanye west. Now just because we arn't on our knees praying to god for whoever is sick doesnt mean we are heartless bastards. We have waited for a tour for 8 years and two weeks away from one of the greatest weeks of my life, its been postponed. Let us TRY and make something good come from it. Put a smile on when you feeling like crying because you are so scared it might change form postponed to cancelled.

To my other aussie fans, they'll be coming, well have the most amazing time and HURRAH for no Kanye! (please please please scissor sisters!! hahaha)

Scissor Sisters would be awesome! If they can have kanye as a support act, surely they can have scissor sisters!

:hyper:

Again, i hope things remedy themselves. :(

KhanadaRhodes said:
can everyone please cease the name calling? this thread is about the postponement of dates of the vertigo tour, and it's spiralling into (well i guess i should say has spiralled into) nastiness, name calling, and just...nothing that this thread was supposed to be about.

i'm not saying i'm going to close the thread or anything but i just want everyone to please calm down and stop fighting. :(

^^Exactly.

Guys...enough. We can banter to and fro about what we think is *owed* when albums are released, when tours start...but right now, U2 *owe* us nothing with respect to family/family issues, and especially when the family issue involves someone being very ill.
In some way, we are all affected, in varying degrees, by these dates being postponed, maybe cancelled....but right now, someone in the band's life is being affected in a way NONE of us would trade for.....

S.

JMScoopy said:

why doesnt that suprise me. :|

Because he's doing his own tour concurrently with the U2 one, bringing his own 25 piece backing group, and booked in his own great venues like the Sydney Opera House, catering for his own set of fans that otherwise would not be interested in a U2 concert? Name one good reason why he should cancel those shows. I actually expect he'll add more dates now. The Sydney show sold out in a heartbeat and he could probably do that with at least another.

someone had a good point, Bono's father passed and the show went on. This must be serious.

I do sympathize with the people out of luck, i travelled for this tour and had hotel accomadations and if I had to get stuck with the bill, I would be upset too.

But nothing is more important than the health of a family member. My best friend past away last fall from leukemia so I realize how sad and at the same time serious this is.

my heart goes out to the Edge and his whole family. As well as the whole band. These guys are like brothers, Siam is family to all of them.

maybe, now is a good time to remember all the suffering/dying people of the world, and be thankful for our good fortunes.
good night

Headache in a Suitcase said:
some people here are simply pathetic human beings.

we've known about the illness to edge's daughter since before the tour even began. obviously, common sense would tell you it's taken an unfortunate turn for the worse.

yet here we are reading posts about how people don't feel sorry for them because other children in the world are dying, too... people complaining about money... on top of the completely moronic statements such as "well at least maybe we'll get someone other than kanye west to open."

really now... if the off chance that kanye won't open the shows anymore is really more important than the life of a band member's child, then you really have some fucking issues that need to be dealt with immediately.

i'm ashamed to be a member of the same forum as some of you.

No spoken words said:
I've just heard about the postponement from Lila, and have been scanning the posts.

I really could not care less if my next comments get me banned or not, for myriad reasons, so here goes.

Anyone, and I mean anyone that has something negative to say about the band...anyone that puts their own situation ahead of whatever the band are going through right now is a piece of shit. You booked your trip and are locked in? Me too. You might be out some fucking money? Me too, get over it, it's money. Someone in the band might soon lose something 100% unreplaceable. That's horrifying to me, as someone who really loves this band; not so they can perform on the dates I spent some $ on them, but because of all the pleasure they have given me for 25 years. I cannot imagine getting mad at a friend for not keeping plans with me because there was an illness in the family, and I'll have that same attitude about the postponement. And all you have to do is take a peek at my journal to know how much I was looking forward to seeing them one last time this tour.

I just cannot fathom getting all pissed off at any element of this situation right now as it pertains to the band, I think it takes a really selfish piece of shit to adopt that attitude. Is that a generalization? Maybe, but I guess I do not care.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I'm not sure if anyone should get banned today for their comments. I'm 100% for people not liking HTDAAB and saying it over and over, etc. I really and truly despise censorship. I guess I just wish some of the members had a little more decency...a little more selflessness.....some modicum of perspective....but that's a pipe dream, and I should know better. Hell, people on here freak out if they are in a set list watch thread and certain songs do not get played, like the band ought to know they aint at the show, but, hey, they're home staring at the computer really rooting for something from POP to get played.

Anyway, I just wanted to write about my disgust and if anyone disagrees or is offended, well, I guess I simply don't give a fuck.

Lastly, I wanted to, in the only forum I know of to do this, wish U2 and their organization all of my positive thoughts and prayers. Whatever is wrong, I hope it soon gets remedied. And I hope the band know just how much they mean to some of us, and I'm sorry events such as this are sometimes the necessary catalyst to allow such thoughts to get expressed.

Thanks to the two of you. Couldn't have said it better myself. Utterly disgusting, some of the behaviour on here.

As for the situation - :sad: Wow. Really, really hope that whoever is affected by this has a positive outcome.

RademR said:
someone had a good point, Bono's father passed and the show went on. This must be serious.

Everybody is different, but one must also remember that the band was in Europe when Bono's father took a turn for the worse and passed on, so he could commute daily easily. It's a bit different when the band is half a world away, there may have very well been show cancellations when Bono's dad was in his final weeks had they not been in their own backyard at the time.

The only bad thing to come out this for us fans (really) is that they might be under-rehearsed come whenever tour resumes:lol:

But.......Bono has time to rest the Vox, Edge has time to spend with family, Adam has time to grow back his afro from the early 80's and Larry has time to........be larry!

We've waited 8-12 years....is a few more months going to harm us?

Pop Artist said:

Everybody is different, but one must also remember that the band was in Europe when Bono's father took a turn for the worse and passed on, so he could commute daily easily. It's a bit different when the band is half a world away, there may have very well been show cancellations when Bono's dad was in his final weeks had they not been in their own backyard at the time.

good point, hadnt thought of that.

either way, hope everything gets better for them

reading through this thread, its great to see a bunch of u2 fans get together and show support.

but some posts have been disgusting.

an_cat said:
:|

I don't know why I continue to bother replying. But this is really bothering me. Sure, people die each day. But we're talking about someone who has given SO much to us. Sometimes selflessly. Has been on the road to give us the best shows of our lives, put their families on hold, all for us. U2 does more for their fans than any other band that I have ever liked. For 4 men who give so much, can't we just do a bit in return?

And I'm sure if someone lost a family member today, then the Interference community would rally around them giving their best wishes, much like they do in this thread.

But then again, maybe you're just trying to be inflamatory. I don't know. Sometimes people on here amaze me. This thread is the perfect example of the U2 fan dynamic. Extremely INCREDIBLY GOOD people. Caring and selfless. Then the absolute pit of patheticness. Just incredible.

The interference community as a whole have been very supportive to me personally and to others who have dealt with seemingly insurmountable life events.

chocky said:
maybe we can just get Evil Edge (from Elevation video) to replace good Edge just for these 10 dates :wink:
I've got an even better idea...

FAKE EDGE, SAVE US!

Ok I haven't been on interference in ages can someone give me details about this cancellation? Who is the band member with a sick family member? Have the shows been just 'postponed' or cancelled altogether? Because I can live with it if they have just been postponed, but cancelled altogether I am going to be not so happy. Can i still get to the shows with the tickets i have (for the melb show 24th?)

This is surreal. I can't imagine an event more likely to trigger pandemonium (i.e., people getting "banned," negative comments, even-keeled people trying to put it all into perspective for everyone else, etc.) than a U2 tour getting cancelled for a band member's family illness.

Nothing to do but chime in, I guess. Everyone get well soon!

COBL_04 said:
Ok I haven't been on interference in ages can someone give me details about this cancellation? Who is the band member with a sick family member? Have the shows been just 'postponed' or cancelled altogether? Because I can live with it if they have just been postponed, but cancelled altogether I am going to be not so happy. Can i still get to the shows with the tickets i have (for the melb show 24th?)

Not confirmed, but most likely it's Edge daughter, who is 8 years old.

Believe she has leukemia

Shows have been postponed, not cancelled. Probably be announced in the next few days.

COBL_04 said:

As of today, the tour is NOT cancelled. it IS postponed.
What I think will happen is your ticket for March 24th will be usable for example if the show is resecheduled for Smarch 32nd or whatever the first date is for the resechduled dates.

Gen. Chat said:
Is the tour cancelled or postponed? There’s conflicting news on the web.

As of now, postponed. There's some rumblings about that a reschedule announcement is imminent for dates in the Sept.-Nov. range.

RademR said:

Not starting an argument here but.....

A. They weren't on a tour "break"
B. Didnt they know for a while that he was going to pass?
C.Wasnt Bob in Dublin?, the UK and Dublin are a short flight apart, As Bono was able to travel back and forward for the last few days of his life.

If C was a simalar situation this time, I think the tour may have still gone ahead, But Dublin/LA is like a days flight from down under.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom