MERGED ----> Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not interested enough in them (yet) to see them in concert. I do like Neon Bible but there's other bands like The Killers, RHCP, Roger Waters etc. I'd like to see!

Zootlesque said:
I'm not interested enough in them (yet) to see them in concert. I do like Neon Bible but there's other bands like The Killers, RHCP, Roger Waters etc. I'd like to see!

While those bands are great you are missing out on a fantastic live experience when you go to an Arcade Fire concert. You'll leave the show a fan!

Think about this Zoots. When you finally are a fanatic you'll be like "Damn, what was I thinking? Why didn't I go see them on the Neon Bible tour when I had a change? D'OH!"

Lancemc said:
Think about this Zoots. When you finally are a fanatic you'll be like "Damn, what was I thinking? Why didn't I go see them on the Neon Bible tour when I had a change? D'OH!"

Right. Think how great it would have been to be able to say you saw U2 on their Boy or October tour. You have a chance to say that with Arcade Fire, because they could be a very successful band in the future.

Lancemc said:

Very much possible. :wink:

BonoManiac said:

Right. Think how great it would have been to be able to say you saw U2 on their Boy or October tour. You have a chance to say that with Arcade Fire, because they could be a very successful band in the future.

So could a thousand other bands.

I saw U2 on the Boy tour because I loved the Boy album and wanted to see them.

Arcade Fire ? meh.....they're ok. I might like them more if they weren't so hyped.

Mr. MIKEphisto said:
On what site are they selling them?
For the Montreal shows, Admission.com

It was good hanging out BM, I'm sure I'll see you for the May shows :drool:

These are apparently the show dates/on sale dates

THU 4/26/2007 San Diego, CA Spreckels Theatre 2/24/2007
SAT 4/28/2007 Indio, CA Coachella On sale now
TUE 5/1/2007 Atlanta, GA Civic Center 2/23/2007
WED 5/2/2007 Asheville, NC Thomas Wolfe Auditorium 2/23/2007
FRI 5/4/2007 Washington, DC DAR Constitution Hall 2/24/2007
SAT 5/5/2007 Philadelphia, PA Tower Theatre 3/2/2007
MON 5/7/2007 New York, NY TBA TBA
TUE 5/8/2007 New York, NY TBA TBA
WED 5/9/2007 New York, NY TBA TBA
THU 5/10/2007 Boston, MA Orpheum Theatre 2/23/2007
SAT 5/12/2007 Montreal, QC Arena Maurice Richard 3/2/2007
SUN 5/13/2007 Montreal, QC Arena Maurice Richard 3/2/2007
TUE 5/15/2007 Toronto, ON Massey Hall 2/23/2007
WED 5/16/2007 Toronto, ON Massey Hall 2/23/2007
FRI 5/18/2007 Chicago, IL Chicago Theatre 2/24/2007
SAT 5/19/2007 Chicago, IL Chicago Theatre 2/24/2007
SUN 5/20/2007 Chicago, IL Chicago Theatre 2/24/2007
SUN 5/27/2007 Portland, OR Schnitzer Concert Hall 2/24/2007
FRI 6/1/2007 Berkeley, CA Greek Theatre 3/4/2007
SAT 6/2/2007 Berkeley, CA Greek Theatre 3/4/2007

LIVE: Arcade Fire Close Montreal Homestand With Joyous Chaos
Tuesday February 13, 2007 @ 05:30 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

February 10, 2007
Ukrainian Federation
Montreal, QC
by Noah Love

Just how rabid was anticipation for any one of Arcade Fire's five hometown shows at the Ukrainian Federation? Here's the craziest story I heard, from the three girls who were first in line on Saturday night. One of the downtown record stores was selling 50 day-of tickets to each show. These girls started waiting outside the store in -20 Celsius weather at 12:30 a.m. Saturday morning. They got their tickets at 10 a.m., when the store opened. Then, just to ensure that they were the most dedicated fans on the planet, they got to the hall at 1:30 p.m. to wait another six hours outside before the doors opened. By my count, they were basically running on maybe 2.5 hours of sleep and had been outside for roughly 17 hours. Yes, it was that kind of week in Montreal.

The Ukrainian Federation building didn't, from the outset, inspire the hope that this would be a memorable show. The concert hall was a cross between a high school cafeteria and a '50s movie house. The wood and leather seats were nearly all on the verge of collapse, though nobody in the room would use them when Arcade Fire hit the stage. When the band finally did stroll on just over an hour after the doors were mercifully opened, the crowd was still just getting warmed up. That said, the adulation meter was still on "high."

The first half of the group's set focused entirely on the new album, Neon Bible. "My Body Is A Cage" was a bit of an odd choice for an opener, given that it closes the new record. But it's also one of the record's most incendiary tracks, and it was a more than apt way to kick off the night. "Black Mirror" ranked as the only disappointment of the night. While the track is a swirling, crisp masterstroke on Neon Bible, over-instrumentation and early sound troubles helped dull its impact on stage. The record's two Springsteen-esque rockers, "Keep The Car Running" and "Antichrist Television Blues," were played back to back. The latter lived up to its live potential, while the former far exceeded the recorded version. While the album edition of "ATB" is repetitive and, ultimately, the weak link on Neon Bible, live, Win Butler gets increasingly intense until he abruptly stops like a diffused bomb at the end.

While everyone was excited to see the band and hear the new songs, the room didn't really start moving until the first Funeral cut, "Haiti." Regine Chassagne's chirpy lead vocals literally moved the flimsy Ukrainian Federation floor. During the one-two punch of "Neighbourhood #3 (Power Out)" and "Rebellion (Lies)," the fact that the audience near the stage didn't end up in a pile of rubble in the basement was beyond me. The Funeral tracks were also mass singalongs. The melodic refrain from "Haiti" was sung repeatedly by those in attendance even after the band stopped playing it.

After an encore of "Neighbourhood #1 (Tunnels)," the band trekked off with a pile of acoustic instruments. The audience stood around clapping for about 10 minutes before a guy onstage handed out set lists and told everyone the group had gone to the basement to perform. It was too rammed downstairs to even get into the hallway leading in that direction, so I missed a performance of "The Well And The Lighthouse." That was rectified when Butler suddenly showed up at the back of the main room upstairs and led the audience in the now requisite acoustic singalong of "Wake Up." The rest of the band successfully maneuvered the crowd halfway through, and led the night to a positively glorious, if completely chaotic, conclusion. All things considered, it was one of the best performances I've seen the band do, and I've seen my share.

It's interesting seeing a band whose fame is spiralling upward faster than they can control it trying to maintain the club ethos. Arcade Fire are getting a little too big for these antics now, so it was pretty special for anyone in the building on any of the five nights to get to see them playing the outrageously hyped indie band for one last week. Next time around, it's going to be a lot bigger. The group have announced May 12-13 gigs at Arena Maurice Richard in Montreal and May 15-16 shows at Massey Hall in Toronto.

Here's the set list from Saturday night's show:

* "My Body Is A Cage"
* "Black Mirror"
* "Keep The Car Running"
* "Antichrist Television Blues"
* "No Cars Go"
* "Haiti"
* "Black Wave/Bad Vibration"
* "Windowsill"
* "Ocean Of Noise"
* "Neighbourhood #3 (Power Out)"
* "Rebellion (Lies)"
* "Intervention"
* "Neighbourhood #1 (Tunnels)"
* "The Well And The Lighthouse" (acoustic)
* "Wake Up" (acoustic)

i agree. they should play larger venues. the show here in denmark sold out in just a few minutes - the venue is way too small.

Canadiens1160 said:
It was good hanging out BM, I'm sure I'll see you for the May shows :drool:

Indeed it was. I will most definitely try to get my hands on tickets for the May shows. Maurice Richard Arena has approximately 5000-6000 seat capacity so it should be easier to get tickets.:drool:

I have finally managed to listen to the whole album a few times so here is my review:

This is a really fucking good album, and I think it totally lives up to the hype. It's really hard to compare it to Funeral, because it was such a mind-blowing debut album, and in a way it's impossible to 'top' it. But every song Neon Bible is amazing, apart maybe from Black Wave/Bad Vibrations, which I can't really get into.

At first listen you might feel like something is missing if you are expecting something like Funeral, because it's less intense, in-your-face. But where it might loose a bit in intensity and spontaneity, it really gains in maturity and depth I think. The amazing thing about this album is that they have managed to do a second album that is decidedly different than their first (or second if you count the EP) while still sounding like Arcade Fire. One of the things I like about this album is that the songs have a somewhat clearer purpose than those on Funeral. If I would have one criticism to make of Funeral it would be that every single song is a huge build-up and ends up sounding 'big', even when sometimes it might not have been necessary. Neon Bible to me is a clear step forward because not every song sounds 'big', which makes the ones that do (Intervention, No Cars Go, My Body is a Cage) even more powerful IMO.

Neon Bible might not hit you as hard as Funeral on the first listen (which personally hit me like very few albums have in my life), but if you listen to the whole thing from start to finish a few times it will really get to you... There is a real mood to this album, which is a rare quality, and is usually a sign of an album that will stand the test of time. I also think that it could potentially appeal to many people who might have found Funeral a bit too intense.

I'll say it again even if some people think Arcade Fire are over-hyped: this band can already be put on par with the greatest IMO, and only after two proper albums... I've never been so excited about a band since I discovered U2 10 years ago, and the fact that they are from my lovely hometown just makes it even better!

On that subject here is a link to a 20 minutes TV interview they did for the local Montreal news network if anyone is interested:
(It's with Régine and Richard and Win comes in halfway through)

http://www.radio-canada.ca/actualite/v2/telejournal_montreal/niveau2_liste132_200702.shtml

A good part of it is in French, and really they don't seem to enjoy doing the media thing at all, but it's sometimes nice to see the people behind the music. It's strange to see people who seem to be just like some of my friends, people I would have a drink with on St-Denis Street, who can produce such umbelievable music!

And I am 100% in favour of the new No Cars Go, even if the original version was already classic. Two words to describe it: musical orgasm :drool:

Just a reminder for anyone interested. Tonight's fifth and final Arcade Fire show in New York City will be webcast live in a little more than an hour (8:30 P.M. EST)

In just over a week, Arcade Fire will play 5 SOLD OUT shows at Judson Memorial Church in New York City, their first US dates in well over a year. NPR 's All Songs Considered will be webcasting the final show of the 5 night run on Saturday, February 17th. The doors for the show are set for 7:30, so expect the webcast to start around 8:30 EST.

BonoManiac said:
You're welcome. But I think it's just audio. I'm not sure if we'll be able to watch it.

Yeah, NPR did a White Stripes show back in 2005, and it was just Audio, so I'd be pretty sure that's all it is.

Back
Top Bottom