LP13 There is no album - only lies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask him a question in the comments of your tweet and see if he responds? Maybe he'll ask you to take it down and tell you why?

He's tagged in my tweet (hence the "@" symbol) so he most likely already knows about it.

Agreed - still think it's 99% not happening, but this news didn't change that at all.

Anyone else really like how they are spacing things out - it all seems very planned and deliberate, from Ordinary Love onward.

17 October - Ordinary Love clip form the trailer emerges on U2.com
30 October - Ordinary Love vinyl announced
21 November - Ordinary Love video released
2 December - Ordinary Love digital download
14 December - Ordinary Love Epworth version
29 December - Ordinary Love Alternate video
12 January - Invisible announced - no more news
23 January - Details of RED, BoA, Invisible commercial released
2 February - Invisible released
11 February - Invisible video released
17 February - Jimmy Fallon appearance

Since Ordinary Love was released, there has been substantial news every 1-2 weeks.

Now, I'm not saying that there will be a surprise release soon, but there is a huge amount of effort going into this little period for it to amount to nothing. Has to be something bigger cooking...

It all lines up for either the 11th or the 18th. The "deleted" tweet could have easily meant either date.

And if not after Fallon? Then very very soon. Because all this "news" every week or so can't possibly drag on from October/November of 2013 into June of 2014. Not without killing all the buzz.

I honestly think the earliest we'll hear about any sort of album news is with Fallon. IF there is some surprise release or whatever it will probably be tied in with Fallon somehow. If not, they'll probably just get a bunch of softball questions and "oh it's gonna be a busy summer!" responses from the band.

They'll have a "busy summer" if the album comes out in February or in June, so there's not much to go on with that quote.

(It's coming out in June.)

From the recent interview with The Edge, quite possibly the most sensible thing ever said about an upcoming U2 record by a member of U2, well, ever:

You obviously want some innovative production, but it comes down to the same thing: Have you got a great melodic idea and great lyrics? And if you can't put it across on an acoustic guitar, you probably don't have that. So we're going through all that process.

I'm getting ready for the stones to be tossed at me but:

Album: Nov. 2014
Tour: Spring 2015

Style? ATYCLB Part 2

Last album? I'd probably take that bet....last tour?.....ehhh.....we'll see another tour....

I'm getting ready for the stones to be tossed at me but:

Album: Nov. 2014
Tour: Spring 2015

Style? ATYCLB Part 2

Last album? I'd probably take that bet....last tour?.....ehhh.....we'll see another tour....

That's the worst case scenario but it's unlikely. I just don't see them releasing a song off the album 9 months before its release.

Pretty funny that people are still trying to convince themselves that a surprise release is possible.

Pretty funny that people are still trying to convince themselves that a surprise release is possible.

It won't happen, I'm sure of that.
What I'm intrigued about is when Edge said they have "something special planned". But the pessimist in me can't help but think he was just referring to the quality of the music, and that we'll just get the standard release procedure of 11 songs and no b-sides.

From the recent interview with The Edge, quite possibly the most sensible thing ever said about an upcoming U2 record by a member of U2, well, ever:

"You obviously want some innovative production, but it comes down to the same thing: Have you got a great melodic idea and great lyrics? And if you can't put it across on an acoustic guitar, you probably don't have that. So we're going through all that process."

I'd love to see The Edge making acoustic "Numb" on the next tour.

You obviously want some innovative production, but it comes down to the same thing: Have you got a great melodic idea and great lyrics? And if you can't put it across on an acoustic guitar, you probably don't have that. So we're going through all that process.

Remember that story Bono told about Howie B walking in to the four of them playing by themselves during the Pop sessions, and all of them realizing they'd made a serious mistake by losing touch with that sound and going too far into the production? I wonder if something similar didn't happen at the Helping Haiti thing a couple of weeks ago that made them put on the brakes. Bono mentioned it in his BBC interview the day before Edge gave this one, the kind of shocking feeling of them all playing together in a small room and needing to refocus on that. And then here's Edge talking about needing to be able to put a song over with just a guitar. Was this bout of cold feet triggered like that old one? I wonder if they recognized that feeling and decided to pay attention to it this time.

and yet all we heard after NLOTH and tour was that they wanted to go down a different path.

They know what a classic sounding album will get them. They keep talking about a need for a U2 album. We don't need that album. We have atyclb and htdaab.

Who is trying to convince themselves? None of us know when this album is coming out. We just happened to discover a tweet that claims the album is being dropped next week. :shrug:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

and yet all we heard after NLOTH and tour was that they wanted to go down a different path.

They know what a classic sounding album will get them. They keep talking about a need for a U2 album. We don't need that album. We have atyclb and htdaab.

Em, I wasn't really suggesting that there's a classic U2 album coming.

yeah as far as I can tell there's only one person here who seems convinced and the rest of us sort of collectively shrugged our shoulders at some random dude's tweet with 300 followers even though it looks like he is somewhat in the industry. it's worth noting and certainly better than avatar discussion and mindless bickering.

So this random guy likely deleted the tweet because a bunch of wacko U2 fans started harassing him for more information and he didn't want to deal with it anymore.

Is a surprise album drop possible? Sure. Anything is popular

Is it likely that it's dropping next week and it's titled Invisible?

Incredibly unlikely.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

Remember that story Bono told about Howie B walking in to the four of them playing by themselves during the Pop sessions, and all of them realizing they'd made a serious mistake by losing touch with that sound and going too far into the production? I wonder if something similar didn't happen at the Helping Haiti thing a couple of weeks ago that made them put on the brakes. Bono mentioned it in his BBC interview the day before Edge gave this one, the kind of shocking feeling of them all playing together in a small room and needing to refocus on that. And then here's Edge talking about needing to be able to put a song over with just a guitar. Was this bout of cold feet triggered like that old one? I wonder if they recognized that feeling and decided to pay attention to it this time.

That Edge quote really made me concerned that the cold feet talk over the Danger Mouse material was true... as there is certainly a large production factor in any Danger Mouse produced record.

It won't happen, I'm sure of that.
What I'm intrigued about is when Edge said they have "something special planned". But the pessimist in me can't help but think he was just referring to the quality of the music, and that we'll just get the standard release procedure of 11 songs and no b-sides.

"Something special" obviously means we get eleven songs plus one b-side! :happy:

That Edge quote really made me concerned that the cold feet talk over the Danger Mouse material was true... as there is certainly a large production factor in any Danger Mouse produced record.

I don't know that a large production factor and having a song that can translate to an acoustic guitar have to be mutually exclusive. A lot of the Broken Bells' first record sounds pretty good if you play it acoustically.

I think that Edge also said in U2 by U2 (too lazy to go open it) that he thought Gone translated better to an acoustic guitar or something, which I found odd. Gone sure has a lot of production on it.

I wouldn't really read too much into those quotes.

I use twitter. Quite regularly.

You can't see anything but retweets/favorites.

He'd had maybe 4 people RT it and a couple favorites after about 4 or 5 hrs of it being up.

I'm wondering if HE took it down, or if it was pulled. :hmm:

For example: my copying/pasting his original tweet
https://twitter.com/ClaytonsKitten/status/432602179526860800
4 retweets (most of whom saw the original) and 1 favorite.

And mine's still up since it wasn't an actual RT, but rather a copy/paste.

cool! thanks for explaining! :up:

In general..
Not a chance: U2 dropping a ‘surprise’ album.
More likely: They like the idea of a surprise album but don’t have the balls. Will try and make it as much of a ‘surprise’ as possible while still maintaining the standard big promo push pre-release that makes them feel safe and happy. Makes sense in light of their reluctance to talk about it (compared to the norm) and lack of lead in promo (e.g. trickles of stuff from the studio etc that we normally have by now). Keep it quiet until they absolutely must start talking.
Most likely: They had a March/April date circled on their calendars up until very late last year, and started planning accordingly. Got themselves a Super Bowl deal tied up, got themselves on the opening Fallon show, probably a bunch of other stuff, freaked out as usual and delayed the album so they can water down some parts, shoehorn some bullshit into some other parts etc etc but they couldn’t shut down or delay all aspects of their March/April planning and everything really is just thrown off a bit. It seems a bit weird and confused because it is.

Fallon…
Not a chance: Our album is called Invisible and it’s coming out tomorrow.
Maybe: Our album is called X, we’re almost done, and it will be out on June X.
Probably: Commitment to ‘it’ being out in June (ie in that situation, with such a wide audience, it won’t be a slip – if they say it, they mean it). But no name, no specific date, no further specific details. No new news. Then onto generic Bono-hype about it being the best thing ever, Edge listing influences you will not actually hear at all on the album, Adam and Larry looking around the studio for clues as to which country they’re currently in.

In general..
Not a chance: U2 dropping a ‘surprise’ album.
More likely: They like the idea of a surprise album but don’t have the balls. Will try and make it as much of a ‘surprise’ as possible while still maintaining the standard big promo push pre-release that makes them feel safe and happy. Makes sense in light of their reluctance to talk about it (compared to the norm) and lack of lead in promo (e.g. trickles of stuff from the studio etc that we normally have by now). Keep it quiet until they absolutely must start talking.
Most likely: They had a March/April date circled on their calendars up until very late last year, and started planning accordingly. Got themselves a Super Bowl deal tied up, got themselves on the opening Fallon show, probably a bunch of other stuff, freaked out as usual and delayed the album so they can water down some parts, shoehorn some bullshit into some other parts etc etc but they couldn’t shut down or delay all aspects of their March/April planning and everything really is just thrown off a bit. It seems a bit weird and confused because it is.

Fallon…
Not a chance: Our album is called Invisible and it’s coming out tomorrow.
Maybe: Our album is called X, we’re almost done, and it will be out on June X.
Probably: Commitment to ‘it’ being out in June (ie in that situation, with such a wide audience, it won’t be a slip – if they say it, they mean it). But no name, no specific date, no further specific details. No new news. Then onto generic Bono-hype about it being the best thing ever, Edge listing influences you will not actually hear at all on the album, Adam and Larry looking around the studio for clues as to which country they’re currently in.

:applaud:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom