LP13 There is no album - only lies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i wonder if the London verse will find it's way back into the song, it would fit nicely right after "i won't be my father's son."

it could have been removed for the intention of universality for the (Red) version, and put back in for the U2 version, and the London footage would then make sense in the video.

My guess is they go for universality all the way. I like the London verse (especially as someone who packed up everything and moved to London with some ambition behind the idea), but while there's plenty of debate over whether or not the songs lyrics are line-by-line good, I'd argue there's little doubt that overall they're really strong as they are - really easy for a listener to paint them over any number of their own personal situations or experiences, and apply the overall attitude or emotion (ie exactly what their best songs do). Song needs more of something though. Way too short.

I listened to Bono's interview with Zane Lowe earlier and apparently their studio is full of mice. :lol: I had to laugh as I imagined the band all screaming every time one runs across the floor. No wonder the album is taking so long.

Seeing as Bono introduced "The Fly" on 360 as "Krautrock" I am very happy that this is how they're describing this stuff.

Lord knows, but No Line had already received one round of ‘reigning in’ before it was released and they judged later that it should have had more, and it’s not like No Line was Passengers II or something…

I know the traditional line of thinking around here is that they overcooked NLOTH, but it's one based on the huge assumption that the songs were better in 2008, prior to Lillywhite coming in. We've had 5 years of debate based on this assumption. Fact is, we just dont know, and we'll likely never know.

It's now 2014. Band are in a different place now that they were then. They're not off Eating-Praying-Loving in Morocco, searching for inspiration. They're just hunkering down, trying to finish the record. Edge says: there's work to do. That's all we have to go by..

We might as well trust the guy, because while you might feel that he made the wrong call giving Stand Up Comedy another once over, I don't think you can say he made the wrong call in leaving MOS untouched, in going with his gut RE that Beautiful Day riff, in singing lead vocal on Numb, or sticking with that The Fly solo after it'd gone into a zillion other achtung baby demos, or in deciding that he needed to keep working on that Streets Have no Name riff..

I mean, really, why not trust him??

I don't think you can say he made the wrong call in leaving MOS untouched

I mean, really, why not trust him??

The song was played only once and received minor treatments afterwards, with the addition of a cello part in the introduction and some editing, which included removing a verse to reduce the song's length. Eno was outraged that U2 wanted to shorten the song, and he was adamant that the band not alter the original track too much, saying, "These fucking guys, they're supposed to be so spiritual—they don't spot a miracle when it hits them in the face. Nothing like that ever happened to me in the studio in my whole life."[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_Surrender#cite_note-rsbiz-12"][/URL]

Sorry that's underlined, I didn't do it.

I think we shouldn't trust him because he's lazily been sitting on his old style and the slide solo for three albums. He's been the weak link.

Here I thought it was "crowdrock" what Bono called The Fly. :lol: I've never even heard of the term krautrock before... it makes no sense in German either as kraut means cabbage.

i mean, jesus. honestly. just stfu and play those chimey notes and let interference do the rest.

:lol:

I'm feeling pretty comfortable about not hoarding my vacation time. Tour will start in the fall, sounds like.

Time to start planning where I want to go this summer. (Somewhere cheapish ... I can spend my time, but not all my money!)

Here I thought it was "crowdrock" what Bono called The Fly. :lol: I've never even heard of the term krautrock before... it makes no sense in German either as kraut means cabbage.
It's a cool name for a genre isn't it? The music is good too.

Sent from my GT-I9070 using U2 Interference mobile app

Kraut was an American derogatory term for Germans in WWI, probably WWII as well.

None of this adds up at all and the interview with Edge today was an absolute joke. No idea what they are up to. Optimistic-me thinks they are gearing up for a surprise release, pessimistic me thinks they genuinely have no idea what their plans are!

None of this adds up at all and the interview with Edge today was an absolute joke. No idea what they are up to. Optimistic-me thinks they are gearing up for a surprise release, pessimistic me thinks they genuinely have no idea what their plans are!

Seemed like Edge knew what his calendar looks like for the rest of the year...they definitely got plans, they just aren't talking yet.

If, as someone came on to share from his source said, they plan on making a major announcement on the Fallon show, why would they let something slip when talking to BBC radio? Much bigger audience / video coverage / tied in with song performance if it is done on the Tonight Show. They were probably hounded by BBC radio to talk about Invisible, and they agreed because, hey, more buzz can't be a bad thing, and now they are waiting until their planned time to announce whatever their plans are.

Something, other than being the musical guest, has to happen during Jimmy Fallon, his only other guest is Will Smith. They can't just go, perform 'Invisible' or 'Ordinary Love' or some classic track, and that's it.

I have a feeling they are really tight-lipped about this, but like always I wouldn't be surprised if we have to keep on waiting. As many have said, it's the perfect opportunity to emphasize their "comeback".

The latest and lamest:

- first single is Invisible, but it's not really the first single, but its video comes out this week
- Bono and Edge claiming that they are not yet done in recent radio interviews. they have a working title, that Edge hopes will stick
- Edge says they are in the final phase. Invisible is representative of the album overall. album is "raw, guitar driven" with German Krautrock influence, CAN/Neu were cited
- Danger Mouse says he's not prepared to talk about it until the band is ready to talk about it

New thread!

According to :edge: a raw, guitar driven, possibly German or krautrock influenced album will be released "sometime" and that album has no name (yet) but he doesn't plan on getting any summer holidays because they are in the final phase of bringing it all in or together. Or something like that.

U2.com states a full length video for 'invisible' will be coming later this week. The total sum raised from the free download was $3,138, 470, and invisible is currently available on iTunes for sale and rising up the charts.

:up:

thanks you both for the updates! :up:

so you believe he's actually lazy?

As a guitarist, I do think he's become lazy. I don't think he's stumped for ideas, but I suppose it's possible.

Compare the complexity, variety, and innovation of the guitar work in the 80s and 90s to what he's done on the last three albums. It doesn't compare. The guitar playing is boring. He's one of my favorite guitarists, but he's been more of a disappointment than any other aspect of the band over the last three albums.

He's not the first musician to coast, and he won't be the last.

The guitars on Invisible are pretty sweet, though. The effects on the verse riff are lovely and unique, and he's at his best when using unique effects. His style isn't all that interesting when it's unadorned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom