LP13 There is no album - only lies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, we don't really know if that's what he meant.

I mean, they could have recorded a sweet 26 minute instrumental jam around a drum loop.. the fact that they're choosing to not include include it on the album doesn't mean that they're second guessing..

‘Too self-indulgent’ and ‘too arty’ are some of the terms they've used to explain the perceived failure of No Line.

These guys are being very sly about the release date. I can really see a surprise release date happening :hmm:

Couldn't they announce it on Fallon?? Feb 17th is a Monday and could release it on the 18th (Tuesday)??

Alot of promo stuff going on for one song......:hmm:

These guys are being very sly about the release date. I can really see a surprise release date happening :hmm:

Couldn't they announce it on Fallon?? Feb 17th is a Monday and could release it on the 18th (Tuesday)??

Alot of promo stuff going on for one song......:hmm:

They're being coy because it's a long way off. They stage manage announcements as part of the promo, and there's no point to letting it slip now. Absolutely no advantage.

German? Wow, it's going to be Achtung! Baby Reloaded :hyper:

They should just do it like the Surrealists or Dadaists and randomly take their titles out of some book or from newspapers.

Or one of those Tumblr things. "Take the book to your left. Turn to page 394. That's the album." :lmao:

That said...if we get another Achtung, I will be one happy kitten! :faint:

Definitely had a dream last night that they surprise-released the album today. :|

Yeah, I was dreaming of a video shoot a-la "Invisible". And the album came out and they were promoting it via Facebook. Needless to say, seeing only the single for sale was a let-down. :wink:

:wave: Hi new thread.

Edge said they went ‘pretty far out there’ – and referenced the kind of music that had inspired this, a mix of the punk and early electronica around when the band was young. But he then did say they were now working to reign in the self-indulgent parts of it. Which is kind of annoying – it’s the second guessing.

It is annoying..... how 'bout NOT reigning the self indulgent parts. They worked their arses off for 35 years coming off prolly the most lucrative tours in history. They are, whether we like it or not The Biggest Band in the World now F*** all of this second guessing, put out the album. No matter how the album is received they will sell every arena out in minutes. I have to admit this does get under my skin..... Just like the word "relevant". They will be forever relevant to their fans like myself. I see myself listening to them forever as for the hipster, the pop kids who gives a crap? In the end it will be the core die hards that will stay with them after they hang it up. I mean crap how much more validation do they need?

It is annoying..... how 'bout NOT reigning the self indulgent parts. They worked their arses off for 35 years coming off prolly the most lucrative tours in history. They are, whether we like it or not The Biggest Band in the World now F*** all of this second guessing, put out the album. No matter how the album is received they will sell every arena out in minutes. I have to admit this does get under my skin..... Just like the word "relevant". They will be forever relevant to their fans like myself. I see myself listening to them forever as for the hipster, the pop kids who gives a crap? In the end it will be the core die hards that will stay with them after they hang it up. I mean crap how much more validation do they need?

:up: THIS.

Album or no album, the tour is gonna sell out. Just put out the damn record! Announce the tour so I can plan out how to spend my year and my money! :lol:

:up:

Seriously, this insecure bullshit does my nut in.

you know.. sometimes we should probably just trust Edge.. I mean, the self-indulgent stuff was probably shit. let's be honest.

jeesus i'm glad because i have zero tolerance for self-indulgence :D

you know.. sometimes we should probably just trust Edge.. I mean, the self-indulgent stuff was probably shit. let's be honest.

right?

wtf would he know about what U2 needs to do to be successful and make good albums?

i mean, jesus. honestly. just stfu and play those chimey notes and let interference do the rest.

More likely than not, yes.
They are indeed the biggest band in the world and could indeed have a sell out tour no matter what.
But they didn't become the biggest band by not releasing their best stuff.

I’m not sure that their personal tastes really match with how they are judging what their desired market/demographic/fanbase are after. That’s why I mentioned the No Line comments. What parts of No Line did they think were too self-indulgent or too arty? If they could do that over and remove those parts, what would remain? Moment of Surrender hammered into a 4min single? No Fez-BB, no Cedars? More of the ‘middle three’? That they won’t try and push a risky single because Boots shook their confidence in their own judgement? Lord knows, but No Line had already received one round of ‘reigning in’ before it was released and they judged later that it should have had more, and it’s not like No Line was Passengers II or something…

Exactly. U2 fans will love it, and fuck the rest. I don't think the U2 that made The Unforgettable Fire cared quite so much about self indulgence and relevancy...they did what they wanted and made powerful, strange music that resonated with millions and is now considered to be a classic.

Art is essentially an exercise in confidence and taste, and if either weaken then the work suffers.

Like "relevance," I find "self indulgent" to be one of those terms used to describe music that's so vague it's meaningless. Like, is anything more than an acoustic guitar and voice self indulgent? Are guitar solos self indulgent if they have more than 9 notes? Is it self indulgent to record a song with more than 8 tracks? Is street theatre the last authentic art form in America?

It could very easily be argued that their beloved Kraftwerk are self indulgent, but that of course would be bullshit. The only issue is whether or not the music is good, and if there's five minutes of freeform noise, so be it.

P.S. No Line wasn't exactly an art rock album. It was pretty straightforward. It's one of their more conventional releases. It's not nearly as "arty" (another essentially meaningless term - music is art for God's sake - it it shorthand for 'odd sounds' or 'intelligence'?) as Achtung Baby or The Unforgettable Fire.

It surely would be. I suppose it might be spliced with some of that footage from the Invisible Making Of video (London tube etc - bit strange to go to the effort with all that just for that short promo video) but I'd think at least the vast majority will just be the ad extended.

i wonder if the London verse will find it's way back into the song, it would fit nicely right after "i won't be my father's son."

it could have been removed for the intention of universality for the (Red) version, and put back in for the U2 version, and the London footage would then make sense in the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom